Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
I wonder if LarianStudio has plans for this?

We know its still EarlyAccess and the group is just a bunch of lowly lowlevel plebs. wink
But when the levels rise in the later story, I wonder - will it be mirrored in the abilitys?
Please let it be so.

Did anyone favour this small spikey Demon (whatWasItsNameAgain) btw.?
I had the little flying Fiend out the whole time due to its range of movement.
Also I feel the non-winged Fiend has a horribly low chance to actually hit something.

veteran
veteran
I was asking the same thing around my friends with much more experience with DnD ...

And i was told that Warlock in this universe simply isnt summoner class, compared to WoW for example.
They said that is Necromancer's role. :-/

So ... since Wizards of the Coast are keeping eye on this game i gues chances arent much high ... maybe some mod?

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wizard shcools of,

Conjuration
Necromancy
And
Druid (kind of)

(both PHB subclasses and should be in final version of BG3)

These are summoner/utility classes that summon different types of support monsters. Conjuration mages summon more powerful animals, elementals or undead that gain power with spell level. Necromancers are a bit different as they heal from spell attacks that kill enemies (grim harvest at lv2) and can summon more skelemans or zombies increasing in power/number depending on level (2 skelemans/zombies at lv 6 rather than 1). Druids can summon fey (conjure woodland beings), animals and elementals but they are more mage/clerics.

The issue is you need to be level 6 with pretty much any class to summon anything other than a familiar. Ritual summons like ranger and warlock are just decent familiars. Familiars of wizards and sorcerers are supposed to be able to cast the touch spells of the wizard/sorc remotely. At level 8 you get 4th level spells one of which is summon lesser elementals and enables you to summon 8 x 1/4 CR or 1 x 2 CR elementals increasing with spell level.

This is all in the PHB and is a free PDF download and well worth a read. There are simply too many spells, items and potential variations to cover without making mistakes in translation I am not experienced DM. Not played D&D TT since 3.5e long time ago.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Xanathar's Guide to Everything has Summon Lesser Demons at 3rd spell level and Summon Greater Demon at 4th spell level but pretty sure BG3 just going to be the Players Handbook so no Xanathar's stuff.

Planar Binding. a 5th level spell, could be useful but I doubt we'll get it, 1 hour cast time and you need to find your own Demon, just lets you bind it for 24 hours.

Infernal Calling is another Xanathar's 5th level spell but it Devils and not Demons. The Devil is also not under your control so have fun with that. I would suggest having Planar Binding handy. I am sure the Devil will chill out for an hour for you to cast it.

Summon Fiend from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is level 6 spell and you can choose Demon, Devil, or Yugoloth but doubt will ever see stuff from Tasha's or get to the point where we can cast level 6 spells.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 18/11/20 08:19 PM.
P
addict
addict
P
Summoning in general isn't a huge thing in 5e. You can do it, but lets just say having a plan b for your character is advised. The summoning spells don't really start until level 3 spells, and the vast majority of them are just... not on the warlocks spell list. Pact of the chain is really only good for getting supercharged familiar.

addict
addict
The DnD warlock functions almost exactly opposite of how the WoW warlock works both mechanically and lore wise.

In WoW warlocks are basically mages who tapped into a corruptive energy called fel and use it to enslave demons to their will.

In DnD warlocks are mages who decided to take a short cut to greater power and made a pact with a greater being so they could learn dark magical secrets and leech power off their patron.

The flavor is similar in that you're an unholy wielder of demonic power (if you choose Fiend as your pact) but different in that WoW warlocks become the evil master while DnD warlocks become a willing servant to boost themselves.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
DnD warlocks become a willing servant to boost themselves.

There is a reason why a lot of people refer to warlock patrons as your magical sugar daddy/mama.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
Tcould learn dark magical secrets and leech power off their patron.

The flavor is similar in that you're an unholy wielder of demonic power (if you choose Fiend as your pact) but different in that WoW warlocks become the evil master while DnD warlocks become a willing servant to boost themselves.

Warlocks doesn't draw their power from their patrons. They don't "leech power". They only learn from their patrons and have his soul "infused" by eldritch energy. This since 2e in complete wizard handbook(where the class appears as witch). On 5e, during playtests, WLK was INT based and only changed to CHA based due player feedback.

As for summons, warlocks on 5e are very limited in what they can summon

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

But one thing. Your char on BG3 is at best lv 4. Ultra low level adventurers can't cast mid or high level spells to summon powerful demons.

For eg, summon greater demon requires 4th tier magic. Planar Binding a 5th.

The summon greater demon spell description is here > https://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/summon-greater-demon

Link Copied to Clipboard