Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Since everybody is posting threads about the backstories of their custom characters, I figure I should get in on the fun and do the same. Though I am not ready to play Early Access yet (I tried, but my computer's video card is too weak to play the game without lagging), I have been busy planning out the backstory of my custom character that I will play in Baldur's Gate 3 when the full game releases.

Zavier "The Savior" Vikkarlin

Half-Drow
Male
Ranger
Folk Hero

Age 29 in 1494 DR
Born 13 Eleasias (August 13th), 1465 DR
Year of Elven Swords Returned
Born under the Sign of the Wheel
and with Waning Selûne under the sign of the Stone

Zavier Vikkarlin was born to a half-drow father and drow mother in the Year of Elven Swords Returned. His father is a male half-drow named Vallis Rutela, who is the son of Viconia DeVir and the ward of Gorion who defeated Sarevok, stopped Caelar Argent's crusade (but ended up getting exiled from Baldur's Gate for being falsely accused for the murder of Entar Silvershield's child Skie), defeated Irenicus and Amelyssan (My version of Gorion's Ward was a Chaotic Good male human Fighter named Ralis Rutela). His drow mother Liriya Vikkarlin is a priestess of Eilistraee and daughter of former Ust Natha inhabitant Solaufein. Zavier grew up mostly raised by his father in Algarond, and although Vallis was usually off adventuring and couldn't take Zavier with him because he was too young, Zavier was at least raised by his mother and interacted with human and half-drow children throughout his childhood. As a half-drow born under the Sign of the Golden Wheel, he grew up a determined, self-motivated, enthusiastic and responsible boy, much to his mother's delight. Zavier also loved to tell his human and half-drow friends the story about how his human grandfather and drow grandfather met each other in the drow city Ust Natha. He showed great enthusiasm over the possibility of being a cleric of Eilistraee, following in his mother's footsteps, and encouraged all drow to find freedom under the embrace of Lady Silverhair. In 1476 DR, however, was the last year Zavier has seen his father Vallis before he mysteriously went missing. One day he was tasked to go to the Baldur's Gate region of the Sword Coast and investigate the mysterious disappearance of the paladins of Fort Morninglord, which is not far from the city Eltruel. He never returned from his adventure, and without receiving confirmation from anyone that he is either alive or dead left Zavier and his mother and their friends fraught with worry for the next five years.

In 1481 DR, Zavier makes a final decision on what to do with his life. Instead of becoming a priest of Eilistraee, he informed his mother Liriya, and guardians Tarl and Benna that he has decided to become an adventurer in the hopes of finding some clue to learn what happened to his father who disappeared around Baldur's Gate and Elturel's lands. Along the way to Baldur's Gate, Zavier meets human ranger Jace Farlong, the eldest brother of Zarkin Farlong (My Neverwinter MMORPG character) who is known in Neverwinter as one of the Heroes of Sleeping Dragon Bridge (Jace and Zarkin are the great-grandsons of my Neverwinter Nights 2 character, Chaotic Good aligned male human Ranger Dario Farlong and his former Red Wizard wife Safiya). Zavier saves Jace from a pack of worgs, and the two bonded over the next several weeks, and Jace decides to take Zavier in as his student and teach him the ways of the Ranger. Zavier learned well over the next two years, becoming proficient in handling and befriending animals, understanding which vegetation is safe to eat or not, and soon they went their separate ways.

When Zavier arrived in Baldur's Gate, he wasn't immediately welcome in the city, for obvious reasons, but he was at least treated fairly by his human relative Abdel Adrian, who was a respected "hero" that worked for the Flaming Fist and was a Grand Duke and made sure no one mistreated Zavier. However, after Abdel died in 1482 DR, killed by a group of adventurers after he transformed into some kind of monster after his would-been assassin was killed, Zavier was exiled out of the city, forced to live in the Outer City, which is a sprawling, chaotic shantytown that grew outside of the city's walls. In the days he spent living in the Outer City, Zavier soon realized that the city officials of Baldur's Gate, even the Watch and Flaming Fist care little to nothing about the people living in the lawless shantytowns, making their lives feel as if they live in a prison cell, being called "outsiders" and being treated like outsiders. Feeling a strong desire to make their lives better in the smallest ways possible, Zavier took it upon himself as a Ranger and what little expertise he had in the short year of being a rookie Flaming Fist soldier when his last living relative was still alive to be the hero that the people of Baldur's Gate's outer city needs, fighting petty and violent crimes day in and day out. Though the Outer City's civilians turn to the Guild, a criminal organization for protection that holds great control over and influence throughout the city of Baldur's Gate, they eventually learned to trust the heroics of Zavier between the years of 1482 DR to 1493 DR. Zavier became an enemy and great nuisance of the Guild and its guildmaster Astele "Nine-Fingers" Keene, who greatly despises him as he gained the love and trust of the people of the Outer City even though he is half-drow, eventually being called "Zavier the Savior". Over the years as a folk hero in Baldur's Gate, Zavier also found ways to sneak into the city of Baldur's Gate and get money and food for those that desperately need it. As a heroic adventurer, Zavier has a tendency to remain calm in a crisis and is not easily swayed by opposition. Although serious minded, he is cheerful and optimistic and does not give up easily. As for his preference, Zavier likes half-elven girls, surface elf or drow, it doesn't matter. The first Outer City civilian he rescued was a half-elf woman being assaulted by a Guild agent pressuring her to pay for an overdue protection fee. He never got her name, as she ran off in fear of him being part drow, but he never forgot her face.

That's all I got for now.

Last edited by BladeDancer; 21/11/20 06:57 PM. Reason: I changed the parents of my character slightly
veteran
veteran
Nice.

old hand
old hand
Very cool!

veteran
veteran
cool, lot's of hooks built-in, I like it.

OP Offline
Like I said, not everything is final, I might change Zavier's race from half-drow to human.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BladeDancer
Like I said, not everything is final, I might change Zavier's race from half-drow to human.
I think because so rarely are you given a chance to roll a Drow, or a Half-Drow even, a lot of people are jumping at the chance.
Not to sound like a stick in the mud but seeing so many Drow, Half-Drow, and Tieflings around is short circuiting the world for me a little. I also personally preferred when Tiefling was a template and not a race, which doesn't help.

That said all that matters is if you can make a believable story around it and I have the utmost faith in our resident loremaster to do so.

old hand
old hand
Where do you find information about Faerunian birth signs and such?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Where do you find information about Faerunian birth signs and such?

https://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/bday.shtml

old hand
old hand
Cool, thanks!

OP Offline
Anytime. That site is one of my many references to D&D lore and such

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sozz
I think because so rarely are you given a chance to roll a Drow, or a Half-Drow even, a lot of people are jumping at the chance.
Not to sound like a stick in the mud but seeing so many Drow, Half-Drow, and Tieflings around is short circuiting the world for me a little. I also personally preferred when Tiefling was a template and not a race, which doesn't help.

That said all that matters is if you can make a believable story around it and I have the utmost faith in our resident loremaster to do so.

I made a few changes today, and I think I may stick to playing a Half-Drow when I get my PC upgraded enough to play BG3.

veteran
veteran
I love it, you're actually making it Baldur's Gate: "3" smile

I hope we get a "The Improbable Adventures of" with Zavier Vikkarlin.

That is what you changed right? I didn't just blow past it the first time?

OP Offline

Yes, that is what I changed, and yes, someday I will make my own "The Improbable Adventures" with my character. Corvella Greyrose is my inspiration for it.

old hand
old hand

Yes, that is what I changed, and yes, someday I will make my own "The Improbable Adventures" with my character. Corvella Greyrose is my inspiration for it.

That would be awesome! I'd love to see more character journals out there.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

That would be awesome! I'd love to see more character journals out there.

I got other original characters I could make into detailed journals, but the problem is I can't get their pictures displayed.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard