Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 24 25
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I only want good-oriented and honorable companions, and I need at least five of them because I will only be playing the game with a mod that increases party size to six. Someone already mentioned Eder. Yes I love Eder. In both PoE games Eder is my always-in-the-party companion. In PoE1 I also similarly loved Sagani and she was always in my party too.

I don't care at all about my companions being "nuanced" or "flawed" because that's what's "realistic." If I wanted any of that, I can get that from real life. I play my cRPGs to get away from real life.

I loved Eder as a companion in PoE 1&2. Without any doubt, he was my favorite companion. I enjoyed the character development, the conversations we had, and the interactions he had with other party members. It didn't feel unnatural or forced. It felt real.

addict
addict
Verse and Barik archetypes, if only they could.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Vhaldez

+
Kept them along with Lantry, divided but together, cool dynamics

veteran
veteran
Krogans are awesome. can we have a krogan?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Banned
Banned
I only want good-oriented and honorable companions, and I need at least five of them because I will only be playing the game with a mod that increases party size to six. Someone already mentioned Eder. Yes I love Eder. In both PoE games Eder is my always-in-the-party companion. In PoE1 I also similarly loved Sagani and she was always in my party too.

I don't care at all about my companions being "nuanced" or "flawed" because that's what's "realistic." If I wanted any of that, I can get that from real life. I play my cRPGs to get away from real life.

I'd say the companions in PoE are nuanced and 'realistic'. It's just that unlike the companions in BG3 their flaws are not quite so obnoxiously in-your-face. I'd mention Astarion but i'd say Wyll is an almost better example, my man's supposed to be a hero but pretty much from his 2nd dialogue he makes it pretty clear he's full of shit. Compare with Durance or Grieving Mother (who are different shades of full of shit), or even the Devil with Astarion. Maybe it comes down to taste.

As for what i want, i hope none of the good companions fit the tropy paladin. Companions that are single-mindedly good or evil are usually a hard skip for me.

Last edited by Innateagle; 20/11/20 10:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Innateagle

I'd say the companions in PoE are nuanced and 'realistic'. It's just that unlike the companions in BG3 their flaws are not quite so obnoxiously in-your-face. I'd mention Astarion but i'd say Wyll is an almost better example, my man's supposed to be a hero but pretty much from his 2nd dialogue he makes it pretty clear he's full of shit. Compare with Durance or Grieving Mother (who are different shades of full of shit), or even the Devil with Astarion. Maybe it comes down to taste.

As for what i want, i hope none of the good companions fit the tropy paladin. Companions that are single-mindedly good or evil are usually a hard skip for me.

It's been a while but I don't remember Grieving Mother being full of shit...

I'm also not sure how full of shit we're supposed to believe Wyl is, especially when he mentions how before being implanted with the tadpole he was taking on hill giants, is that BS? dunno

Last edited by Sozz; 20/11/20 10:46 PM.
old hand
old hand
We Demand More Sexy companions

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AnonySimon

I loved Eder as a companion in PoE 1&2. Without any doubt, he was my favorite companion. I enjoyed the character development, the conversations we had, and the interactions he had with other party members. It didn't feel unnatural or forced. It felt real.

Eder was also my auto include. Every time. And the only one.

This is what also Larian should understand. Maybe they do, but so far creating an immersive setting hasn't been their strong suit. I can't imagine Eder eating pigs heads while shoving hook horrors 15 meters off a ledge either.

Relatable characters give credibility to everything. They get more emotional response.

You need someone grounded so that the more fantastical characters are also believable.

I would prefer many more grounded companions to be able to have some control over the balance while also having classes and personalities I actually like. I would prefer the fantastical to be the minority in my party.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

It sounds like you're not rolling an 'all underwear' campaign

N
old hand
old hand
N

Well, the fact he was voiced by Matt Mercer surely helped.

N
old hand
old hand
N
One for each class ideally

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sozz

It sounds like you're not rolling an 'all underwear' campaign

I just could not resist using this quote, if it was not a meme, I would not write it

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nyanko

This whole Eder love-in has been very interesting considering I'd always considered him to be the most 'conventional' companion you get in that game, more interesting because he's a sounding board for your character than anything in his persona history.

apprentice
apprentice
Would like to see a community add. To be honest one the the worst thing Larian has done in all of their games is make companions. The ones in the game now are boring and all standard tropes. I mean we have the Vampire right out of twilight(I killed him in all play throughs) A hyper aggressive toad, a weird mage and a pansexueal warlock that hits on everyone. Also strange they are all bi-sexual and super aggressive about it. Stuff must be really weird in Sweden these days.

Have a contest with the community to create a companion. You have 9 months left in development. Lets really see if you listen to teh community feedback.

old hand
old hand

We Demand More Sexy Entirely New Threads About Evil Path Or Minthara

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vhaldez

Verse is my favorite female warrior character from any RPG. She's just a badass.

Barik, though, was a bit too stuffy for me. Especially since with the whole "can literally never take off his armor" thing, I couldn't stop imagining him as being this terribly stinky shit churro.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sozz
Originally Posted by Nyanko

This whole Eder love-in has been very interesting considering I'd always considered him to be the most 'conventional' companion you get in that game, more interesting because he's a sounding board for your character than anything in his persona history.

I love Eder so much. He's normally so low-key and just relaxed, but once in a while he suddenly pipes up with a great one-liner in his casual tone. When talking about why the Dozens have the name that they do, and Eder does not approve of them, he just calmly opines, "Don't imagine they'd get as many members if they called themselves the Loudmouth Sheepfuckers." And the way Mercer delivers the line is priceless.

journeyman
journeyman
As long as not every companion (beside the ones we already know) ends up being some variation of human or elf, I'm good. Like, what's the point of traveling a fantasy world and meeting with a bunch of exotic people everywhere you go, but you're stuck with the human'n'elf squad (+Lae'Zel).

I reeeeally want a half-orc companion. Half-orcs are the best.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by zeel

I reeeeally want a half-orc companion. Half-orcs are the best.

+1
Half-orc barbarian whos playing chess FR variation at camp, total opposite to dumb Minsc. Contradictions could be funny

addict
addict
I want at least one other companion who is genuinely exotic. Right now we have one and a half elves, two and a half humans, and a Githyanki. The Githyanki is exotic to Faerun but she's in the stark minority and very hard to keep happy if you're not doing an evil run.

Something like a Lizardfolk, Kenku, dragonborn, or Tabaxi. I'd even settle for a Goliath. Just something that is immediately visibly distinct from the norm that comes with some interesting cultural differences and behaviors without being callously evil.

I really don't want to be rolling with an all elf/human party if I can help it. In fact if I could make a party of all monstrous looking races that'd be fantastic.

Also a bit of a pipe dream of mine: Put in a side quest where druids can feasibly awaken a powerful beast and turn it into a party member. Either the PC druid or a companion druid it does not matter.

It could function like the war dog you could get in Dragonage: Origins but you can actually speak with it with Speak with Animal.

It'd be a ton of fun to have an intelligent dire wolf or a giant ape in your party due to using a powerful but niche class spell.

Last edited by SaurianDruid; 20/11/20 11:52 PM.
Page 4 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 24 25

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard