Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Mage Armor could let you target one more creature with each up tick. It's useful for Rogues too.

However, the visual effect is very obtrusive for something that's always on. Add Arcane Ward on top and your Wizard is a glowing, sparkling, pulsating bubble 24/7 starting from level 1.

I'd like much more subtle effects for these 24/7 protections that are only visible in combat.

Agreed. I hate flashy spell effects which persist on a character forever.

pours one out for the cloak of mirroring

That thing was a nightmare. Thankfully, there's a mod that calms it the fuck down.

Originally Posted by Sozz
Originally Posted by Osprey39
It's either a bug or they are dumbasses because there is no provision to cast Mage Armor at a higher level spell slot in the PHB.

Unlike some editions, 5e has no such prohibition. From the PHB:

CASTING A SPELL AT A HIGHER LEVEL
When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a
higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher
level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts magic
missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that magic
missile is 2nd level. Effectively, the spell expands to fill
the slot it is put into.
Some spells, such as magic missile and cure wounds,
have more powerful effects when cast at a higher level,
as detailed in a spell's description.

That's in general, yes, but if you look at the entry for Mage Armor, there is no provision for casting it using a 2nd level or higher slot. Let me illustrate what I mean:

Lightning Bolt
3rd-level evocation
Casting time: 1 action
Range: Self (100-foot line)
Components: V, S, M (a bit of fur and a rod of amber, crystal, or glass)
Duration: Instantaneous
A stroke of lightning forming a line 100 feet long and 5 feet wide blasts out from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 8d6 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

The lightning ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 3rd.

That's the entry for Lightning Bolt in the SRD wiki. Compare that to the one for Mage Armor:

Mage Armor
Conjuration (Creation) [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

An invisible but tangible field of force surrounds the subject of a mage armor spell, providing a +4 armor bonus to AC.

Unlike mundane armor, mage armor entails no armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, or speed reduction. Since mage armor is made of force, incorporeal creatures can’t bypass it the way they do normal armor.

Focus: A piece of cured leather.

See how there is no line for effects using a higher level spell slot? That is what I was referring to. I suppose the general rule you cited allows it but nobody in their right mind would ever do it because there is no benefit to it.

veteran
veteran
It's either a bug or they are dumbasses because there is no provision to cast Mage Armor at a higher level spell slot in the PHB.

the slot it is put into.

That's in general, yes, but if you look at the entry for Mage Armor, there is no provision for casting it using a 2nd level or higher slot. Let me illustrate what I mean:

Lightning Bolt
3rd-level evocation
A stroke of lightning forming a line 100 feet long and 5 feet wide blasts out from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 8d6 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

The lightning ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 3rd.

That's the entry for Lightning Bolt in the SRD wiki. Compare that to the one for Mage Armor:

Mage Armor

An invisible but tangible field of force surrounds the subject of a mage armor spell, providing a +4 armor bonus to AC.

Unlike mundane armor, mage armor entails no armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, or speed reduction. Since mage armor is made of force, incorporeal creatures can’t bypass it the way they do normal armor.

See how there is no line for effects using a higher level spell slot? That is what I was referring to. I suppose the general rule you cited allows it but nobody in their right mind would ever do it because there is no benefit to it.

Did you read the spoiler?
I'll emphasis it

the slot it is put into.

Here is a line from the paragraph before this header:

When a character casts a spell, he or she expends
a slot of that spell's level or higher, effectively "filling"
a slot with the spell. You can think of a spell slot as a
groove of a certain size-small for a 1st-level slot, larger
for a spell of higher level. A 1st-level spell fits into a slot
of any size, but a 9th-level spell fits only in a 9th-level
slot.

If you've been playing 5e so that only spells that explicitly have such provisos can be cast at higher-levels, that is incorrect.

The reason for doing so is because you have no smaller spell slots available. also to get past a potential counter spell

Last edited by Sozz; 20/11/20 09:42 PM.

the slot it is put into.

Lightning Bolt
3rd-level evocation

Mage Armor

Did you read the spoiler?
I'll emphasis it

the slot it is put into.

Here is a line from the paragraph before this header:

When a character casts a spell, he or she expends
a slot of that spell's level or higher, effectively "filling"
a slot with the spell. You can think of a spell slot as a
groove of a certain size-small for a 1st-level slot, larger
for a spell of higher level. A 1st-level spell fits into a slot
of any size, but a 9th-level spell fits only in a 9th-level
slot.

If you've been playing 5e so that only spells that explicitly have such provisos can be cast at higher-levels, that is incorrect.

The reason for doing so is because you have no smaller spell slots available. also to get past a potential counter spell

My friend, I think in your zeal to win the argument, you are losing sight of what the OP's question was about, ie: Mage Armor. It's a spell that is generally cast right after resting and out of combat when you have all your slots available and nobody is going to counter spell you. I already conceded that you were technically correct but I am correct that there is basically no need to ever cast Mage Armor at a higher level. Given this game's dogshit UI, they really shouldn't even let it be possible since if you aren't watching closely, you could easily cast the 2nd level version by mistake to no benefit (ask me how I know this.)

Last edited by Osprey39; 20/11/20 10:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
My friend, I think in your zeal to win the argument, you are losing sight of what the OP's question was about, ie: Mage Armor. It's a spell that is generally cast right after resting and out of combat when you have all your slots available and nobody is going to counter spell you. I already conceded that you were technically correct but I am correct that there is basically no need to ever cast Mage Armor at a higher level. Given this game's dogshit UI, they really shouldn't even let it be possible since if you aren't watching closely, you could easily cast the 2nd level version by mistake to no benefit (ask me how I know this.)

I already posted the description of Mage Armor, clearing this all up, It just seemed to me that the point you were arguing is that if a spell that has no higher-level caveats (such as lightning bolt) can't be cast with higher level spell slots. Otherwise what are we doing here?

I already posted the description of Mage Armor, clearing this all up, It just seemed to me that the point you were arguing is that if a spell that has no higher-level caveats (such as lightning bolt) can't be cast with higher level spell slots. Otherwise what are we doing here?

You want the honest truth? I didn't really read your first post with the description of Mage Armor as I was just scrolling through the thread. I saw that you quoted me in your 2nd post though so I replied to that one :P

veteran
veteran

You want the honest truth? I didn't really read your first post with the description of Mage Armor as I was just scrolling through the thread. I saw that you quoted me in your 2nd post though so I replied to that one :P

I do that too smile I'm sorry if it seemed like I was making a legalistic attack on you.

All good man grin

addict
addict
This is a very early build. The system for spells is clearly not finished.

BUT, in 5e, you can always use a higher spell slot for ANY spell even if it gains nothing from it.

So those here who said Larian were idiots and similar insults... I doubt you will even recognize your own arrogance and error (some commentators never do).

What the game is lacking is many user-friendly info and systems for the spells, etc. And all-around a better technique than x versions of Mage Armor in the "spell book" and hotbars.

Last edited by Baraz; 21/11/20 01:46 AM.
old hand
old hand
We Demand More Sexy Mage Armor

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
We Demand More Sexy Mage Armor

Finally something we can all agree on

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard