Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
Online Content
addict
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
Originally Posted by Sozz
don't misunderstand me, I agree that the player should be allowed to break the mold, it's when breaking the mold is done in a story completely irrespective of the narrative, and the player, that it starts to no longer be an exception.

I also don't think the same exceptions that occur in the world, even rarely, can even apply to some of the races so remote to the 'human' experience, Drow are all descended from top side elves, so when one of them has a crisis of faith it's still more understandable than the completely foreign and unintelligible motives of the Illithid

EDIT: and halfling farmer sim sounds rad....
I disagree. If I go outside now and happen to see an elephant it doesn't mean elephants are common in North America. It just means I happened to see a rare occurrence. So long as the narrative acknowledges it as a rare occurrence that is how it should be treated. A single helpful Illithid found in the Underdark does not mean helpful illithids aren't rare anymore. It just means you witnessed something unusual.

Beyond that if you were going to run into a mind flayer not aligned with the colonies the Underdark is a very loreful place to find him. The Underdark has a fairly massive mind flayer population, and renegade mind flayers are a thing that can and does happen. They also tend to learn arcane magic to help shield their minds from falling under the sway of an Elder Brain again, and this one just so happens to have joined what seems to be an organization of wizards.

There is nothing about Omeluum that is especially lore breaking or entirely unique. Just rare. And the location and conditions we find him in are pretty typical for a mind flayer in his position.

I'd also like to throw out that him helping us doesn't necessarily make him good. We're basically allowing him to run experiments on us, so it isn't like he's doing this purely out of kindness.
That elephant analogy makes it sound like I'm concerned with where Omeluum lives, a more appropriate analogy would be if I went outside and met a Shub-Niggurath, and had a conversation with him in English about how I was having trouble finding a dentist. The Mind-Flayers were so alien to my experience that the very nature of their consciousness couldn't be taken for granted, it can now, that's not a bad thing it just makes slightly more mundane.

enthusiast
enthusiast
]That elephant analogy makes it sound like I'm concerned with where Omeluum lives, a more appropriate analogy would be if I went outside and met a Shub-Niggurath, and had a conversation with him in English about how I was having trouble finding a dentist. The Mind-Flayers were so alien to my experience that the very nature of their consciousness couldn't be taken for granted, it can now, that's not a bad thing it just makes slightly more mundane.

That is an entirely different discussion than about the frequency of rare things coming up in video games. Mind flayers have always had fairly straight forward goals. They're driven by a desire to bring back their lost empire and to dominate other lesser beings. If you wish they were more alien that isn't really an issue with Omeluuth. It is an issue with the fact Wizards only really knows how to write one kind of evil: Imperialistic slavers.

It is also just kind of the nature of heroic fantasy. It doesn't mesh well with Lovecraftian horror.

old hand
old hand
we demand more sexy illithids

addict
Online Content
addict
we demand more sexy tentacles?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Eldath
I find it tiresome that we must have representation for the "good" exceptions of all the evil races. It's okay for the illithids to be mysterious evil shady bastards, that's their whole appeal. By humanizing them you basically dispel their mystique, and yes, by turning him into this helpful creature you did just that even if he had an interest in observing you.
Good specimens of an evil species are so rare that you are supposed to be able to rest easy about killing them without a second thought.

This is not a species issue - it's an example of a balance in characterization generic to much of what we call drama, and a long used technique in story-telling. In a romance, you will have the suitor with good intentions v one with bad intentions. In an action movie., it may be good spy v. bad spy, or good cop v. bad guy. Lord of the Rings have Good Wizard v Bad Wizard. Here we get Bad Illithids, and the "badness" is reflected by an example of a "rare" Good (or at least less bad) Illithid.

old hand
old hand
we demand more sexy tentacles?

For the love of Bhall and your own eyeballs avoid putting that phrase in a search engine.

stranger
stranger
I know it's a bit of an older thread but I absolutely loved interacting with this character. Though I do wish my character had had an option to refuse his offer to bargain for the ring beyond "leave", didn't they just a moment earlier say that its the only thing keeping them off the radar? Doesn't fit my RP to try and get the ring nor to give him the cold shoulder for such a self-sacrificing offer.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, definitely enjoyed meeting the character though.

old hand
old hand
I agree, Lily; I very much didn't WANT to take the ring from him because he needs it... if he is the extremely rare exception of an ilithid that is striving to find a better way to live and exist without needing to kill other sentients, then I absolutely want to help him do that, if I can... I really wanted an option to indicate that I would rather he keep the ring and continue his work in safety.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I wanted that option too. I can work out a justification for taking it on most characters I've tried out, but the one or two really selfless ones would have turned it down if they could.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Would be kinda cool if he was a double agent, but maybe from a different mindflayer colony that's trying to figure what the hell is up with these new tadpoles.

Originally Posted by Ferros
Would be kinda cool if he was a double agent, but maybe from a different mindflayer colony that's trying to figure what the hell is up with these new tadpoles.
Well, he's with the Society of Brilliance, so I trust him, at least insofar as that he's not a double agent or working for anyone else. Those guys are on the level.

Last edited by DuskHorseman; 22/01/21 12:30 AM.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
I wanted that option too. I can work out a justification for taking it on most characters I've tried out, but the one or two really selfless ones would have turned it down if they could.

My character viewed it from a pragmatic angle, without the ring mindflayers would likely be drawn to the location and regardless of whether Omeluum chooses to stay or flee they wouldn't be able to help my character further down the line. A friendly and helpful mind flayer seems like a really handy fella to know when your party's day to day life revolves around cryptic illithid tadpoles in your brain.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard