Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
stranger
stranger
B
Hello,
I played with Druid and picked one of the Cantrips - Produce Flame.
The character creates a light blue bright flame that last for a short while as the blue light. But when you throw it, it turns to just a red flame out of nowhere.
I would love if you could keep the light blue flame, it gives veritay to spells. So I would love if you could change the animation of the ability when you throw it to the light blue color.

addict
addict
Balance issue: Concentration spells are ALL nerfed to oblivion because of the abundance of surfaces. I'm not going to use Bless or Blur when a Fire surface arrow or bomb from a random goblin will make me roll for concentration three times. The only good option is to have less surfaces. Making concentration checks easier would overpower the same spells in other situations.

Underpowered: Color Spray, Acid Arrow, Healing spells (remove the pigs heads and other food items that heal entirely please)

Opinion: The VFX for long lasting protection spells such as Mage Armor, Barkskin and Arcane Ward are far too obtrusive. I hate it when you can no longer see the character properly after just one spell that lasts a long time. At higher levels you will have more effects stacked and it will be only harder to read with multiple heavy effects overlapping. I'm sure most of those could be toned down significantly and/or disabled outside combat. I understand the need for visual feedback but it should be proportional to the actual power level of the spell, and effects can also be visualized by icons rather than covering the character model itself.

D
D
No one gone acknowledge that Speak with animals should not require concentration?
It makes it a difficult to use for rangers and warlocks(via invocation)

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Balance issue: Concentration spells are ALL nerfed to oblivion because of the abundance of surfaces. I'm not going to use Bless or Blur when a Fire surface arrow or bomb from a random goblin will make me roll for concentration three times. The only good option is to have less surfaces. Making concentration checks easier would overpower the same spells in other situations.
Or just reduce the difficulty of concentration checks caused by surfaces, specifically.

addict
Online Content
addict
Originally Posted by ZetaZeta
Or just reduce the difficulty of concentration checks caused by surfaces, specifically.

Or even make that surfaces don't break concentration since most of the surfaces are Homebrewed in?

addict
addict
Fog Cloud turns neutrals who run into it hostile. Barcus Wroot ran into my Fog Cloud, got blinded and attacked me.

It seems you can still target and hit creatures inside the cloud with ranged weapons normally too. Making it more of a trap than a good battlefield control spell. You should be able to hide from archers in the fog.

C
C
Originally Posted by ZetaZeta

I think we would rather Larian stop Larianing so hard with surfaces

S
S
Thank you OP for compiling this spell feedback. Its incredibly comprehensive and points out so many problems the game has right now. Can only give a +1, nothing to add.
I really hope Larian is reconsidering their choices.

addict
addict
I'd like to add Longstrider to the list of persistent spells that have overdone VFX.

We don't need green glowing feet with huge swirlies for a minor buff that lasts forever. That level of visual feedback is appropriate for Haste which is powerful and has a short duration. Not being able to distinguish Haste from a small movement increase buff is bad.

I'd like my character to still look normal after casting Arcane Ward + Mage Armor + Longstrider. So that there's room for VFX for more powerful temporary stuff you actually need to be able to see at a glance.

Niara Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
It's a good point, and I didn't speak much about the persistent visual effects of some spells and the level of invasiveness for impact they have. Long term buffs and effects should not have large invasive effects; they should be visible in a minor way, if they are going to remain all rest cycle.

I have been meaning to get back and update this thread with the Druid list new spells, and go over the existing ones for any changes or fixes that have occurred but my time hasn't been as free lately, and I admit, my motivation has suffered as well. I still hope to do this, when I get a decent amount of clear time.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
It's a good point, and I didn't speak much about the persistent visual effects of some spells and the level of invasiveness for impact they have. Long term buffs and effects should not have large invasive effects; they should be visible in a minor way, if they are going to remain all rest cycle.

I have been meaning to get back and update this thread with the Druid list new spells, and go over the existing ones for any changes or fixes that have occurred but my time hasn't been as free lately, and I admit, my motivation has suffered as well. I still hope to do this, when I get a decent amount of clear time.

I think a good way to deal with long lasting buffs that have minor effects is to only visualize them when they "activate". Or have a really discreet persistent visual effect that is greatly amplified when the spell actually does something. E.g. Mage Armor (+ Arcane Ward) force field becoming visible when you are attacked. It actually would be really cool to see a blade deflected in a flash of magical force with a cling. These spells don't make you better at dodging like BG3 visually claims. Longstrider could have a much smaller wind effect in your feet that only manifests when you run.

Speaking of Druid spells, Barkskin is pretty crazy. It's not just skin, it's weapons, armor, clothing, hair, everything textured with thick wood. I think a little less would look more stylish, like only the skin having a retexture. I'm already afraid of Stoneskin making my PC look like a statue of himself 24/7 if the current trend of strong VFX continues. The spell doesn't turn you literally into stone, just your skin becomes as hard as stone, which also explains why mobility doesn't suffer.

stranger
stranger
You have made many excellent points, especially as someone who almost always plays paladins in PnP DnD I currently dislike the lack of player choice on when certain spells go off, when to give an attack of opportunity, etc.

Also, there shouldn't be any surfaces (beyond stuff like web of course). I absolutely love DOS2 and DOS1, but Baldur's Gate is not divinity and should not be treated as such.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard