Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
G
addict
addict
G
I hope Niara does an update for the L3 spells implemented.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by gaymer
I hope Niara does an update for the L3 spells implemented.

That would be hugely appreciated, but I know it must be a lot of work!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm meaning too, finding time has been hard over the christmas time, and my motivation amongst other things has been low. I do mean to get to it though! I'll try and get it up soon.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wizard 2nd level
Enhance ability is also a wizard spell, for some reason its been left out...

Spells i like to see...

2nd-level Divination

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a book worth at least 25 gp)
Duration: 1 hour

You draw on knowledge from spirits of the past. Choose one skill in which you lack proficiency. For the spell's duration, you have proficiency in the chosen skill. The spell ends early if you cast it again.

Spell Lists. Bard, Cleric, Warlock, Wizard

Last edited by Aurora42; 04/01/23 10:08 AM.
I
stranger
stranger
I
Hey! thanks for this thread. I've been playing druid, and here's some feedback that I've noticed from it.

Flame Blade: Has very hit-or-miss interactions with the Circlet of Fire helmet. Sometimes it gives the bonus action, other time it completely ignores it. It seems to be for entire combats, either it'll give the bonus action every time, or won't give it ever. At the very least when it does work, it doesn't look like you can abuse it to get permanent bonus actions if you equip it in your off hand, so that's good.
Also, sometimes seems to just... disappear? if there's been a long time without combat, maybe a short rest. Maybe I lose my concentration from something, or maybe it could even be to do with wild shaping and then coming back out messing with the interactions. Not sure. Also one time I swear that flame blade destroyed the item that had previously been in my main hand, but I think I may have accidently just sold it (oops!).

Moonbeam: Can't be moved during wild shape. Not sure if this is intended or not, but at least the way I understand it (per DnD rules) is that you can move moonbeam while in wild shape, due to it being concentration, but you can't cast it. I can move the flaming orb around during wild shape (I get that that's due to it being a summon) but it feels like this is incorrect to me.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I’ve not played around with Flame Blade, though too-easy loss of concentration is a known issue, as is losing benefits from some items (eg Helmet of Grit) when wildshaping then turning back, until the item is unequipped and re-equipped. Could the latter be behind your Circlet of Fire issue?

Moonbeam not being moveable, and Heat Weapon and Call Lightning not being reapplicable, while in wildshape are also known issues, but when I reported these myself a while back I was told it was per design as wildshape prevents spellcasting. I pointed out that this seems to run counter to 5e rules that say “Transforming doesn't break your concentration on a spell you've already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as Call Lightning, that you've already cast” and was told this would be raised with devs. That was a couple of months ago, so I’m not sure if the position has changed, but if it bothers you (as it does me, clearly smile) then it may be worth submitting as a bug report via Larian’s support form and seeing what the stance now is.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
I
stranger
stranger
I
Thinking about it, that definitely seems to be the case, as it fixes itself when I recast the spell. Will try and re-equip it each time I leave wildshape (if possible, sometimes it's in combat) to see if that works.

Maybe it's because of bugs or issues where allowing those spell interactions while in wild shape, but I completely agree (and think that's a huge part of the point of wild shape) that you should be able to interact with them. I'll try to raise it up with them.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Itchighoti
Maybe it's because of bugs or issues where allowing those spell interactions while in wild shape, but I completely agree (and think that's a huge part of the point of wild shape) that you should be able to interact with them.

Yes, 100%. Effective use of these concentration spells seems to be essential to Moon Druids in particular if they’re not going to just be rather underpowered melee characters, and the fact they can’t interact with them properly in wildshape for me makes the class much harder and less satisfying to play in BG3 than it should be, especially when taken with other issues llike too-easy concentration loss, enemies being easily able to escape AoE CC spells by jumping and spells like Sleet Storm not working properly when the ground isn’t level.

At least there’s Flaming Sphere, which appears better than RAW, but is still vulnerable to concentration loss and can’t alone make up for the various problems with other spells.

U
stranger
stranger
U
Sooo ... I didn't see anyone mention in this thread yet about how utterly broken Glyph of Warding is?

Because, uh, that spell is a problem. And that's putting it lightly.

Its sleep option puts enemies to sleep regardless of HPs. So it's actually strictly better than Hypnotic Pattern at CC.

Then it has damage options of nearly every element, each doing 5d8 in a 20-foot radius. So not much weaker than Fireball, and a whole lot more versatile.

But wait, there's more. If you use the lightning damage option, and you had your Cleric or Druid cast Create Water beforehand, you deal WAYYYYYY more damage than Fireball. Effectively 10d8 + electrocution damage.

In tabletop D&D, Glyph of Warding takes a full hour to cast and has a range of touch, so it's basically a trap that you set out of combat. Here it's just 1 action and it can be cast in combat, with all of these broken options at your fingertips, all in one spell. Utterly ridiculous.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Small bump to the thread with several old and new suggestions.
Chromatic Orb - please create a toggle that lets trade current field creation effect for additional d8 of damage. That should be a compromise for both Chromatic Orb as single-target damage only tool fans and fans of elemental fields and let all of them play with preferred option or even switch between d8 and field effects depending on the situation.
True Strike - since making two attacks without advantage is very often preferable to making just one with advantage, it could use a boost, for example give an additional damage increase to affected attack roll hit / spell to be more effectively utilized with stronger / limited charges attacks or spells.
Witch Bolt - its reactivation could be changed to bonus action to turn it into a kind of "channeled" spell that can potentially deal more damage than Thunder Chromatic Orb without hindering your other attacks that use Action, but over several rounds and with Concentration as a trade-off.

Last edited by Volsalex; 13/06/23 03:14 PM.
G
addict
addict
G
Curious on Niara's commentary on the teased spell additions.

Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hey folks,

As you may have guessed, my wherewithal for doing the runs and checks needed for the analysis hasn't been great in recent months... I've not had as much free time to dedicate to gaming in general, and when I was part way through doing the assessment for the 3rd level spells, it was really feeling like work that I simply was not inspired to do. More and more, it felt like, while I might be creating interesting reads for those folk who were indeed interested, the analysis I was doing wasn't really able to serve any greater purpose of helping or improving anything - especially as we draw closer to the release date.

I galls me something fierce to leave a project unfinished - more than many of you may realise, in fact, given the way my brain works, but I've not managed to muster the energy or drive to put what little gaming free time I have on hold to do this work in its place.

I will not say that I won't get this done - the neurosis I feel over leaving the work incomplete may well outweigh other factors at some point soon, though I'm sure that my partners would tell me that doing so would be to the detriment of my better health at this stage... but it's unlikely. We'll see.

What I will say is this, regarding the newest information:

Level 12 grants us up to 6th level spell, so that's 4th, 5th and 6th left entirely untested in EA; they have internal testers and the people that were lucky enough to be able to fly internationally to be special testers for them - we'll have to hope they've done their due diligence, and that Larian have been open to listening to them when they say "Okay, I get that you think that Guardian of faith would be cooler if it picked up targets and threw them 50 feet in a random direction whenever it dealt its damage to them, and was able to be moved on your turn, and dealt its damage immediately whenever you did move it.... buuut that really unbalances a lot of things and is too broken".

They've told us that there will be 600 spells available at launch... but they include 'sub-spells' in that, and, for example, are counting Contagion as 6 spells... chromatic orb is another handful, hex is another handful, and indeed every spell with any options is being counted multiple times in that number for each option it has... spells with 'recast' functionality, as Larian are using, also count as separate spells and so of course they're being counted in the 600 as well. The short of it is, there's going to be a LOT missing.

Honestly... the concept of a D&D game that stops short of actually letting spellcasters get their full spell progression is deeply disappointing to me anyway... and just... deeply disappointed is how I'm feeling about a lot of stuff here.

They've teased us 44 spells... let us hope and cross our fingers (surely this doesn't need to be hoped for and is a given) that these 44 spells are not the full 4th-6th list.
- One of the spells they teased is obviously a custom homebrew spell - it certainly cannot be the only one.
- Several of the spells are not 4th-6th, but are of lower level (Blinding Smite, Ice Knife etc.).
- Another of the spells is Destructive Wave - which is normally a Paladin Only spell (it's balanced to be a spell delivered to a half caster at 17th level - if it were a wizard or sorcerer spell it would need to be a higher level, for balance)... and at a level 12 cap our Paladins will NOT be getting their 5th level spells at all... so who is getting access to this spell and why?

I will try to get the rest of this focus analysis done before release, so folks can have a look, and if I can manage that, I'll try to do a gloss of the spells 4th through 6th level, in terms of what I feel we can expect, in relation to what exists and what they've teased. I can't promise I'll get any of that done, but I'll try.

-Niara

P
stranger
stranger
P
I'm going to use this to piggyback off of so I don't have to make a whole new thread. Hope you don't mind, Niara. (This was a colossal undertaking and it was very awesome to do!)

Did they ever update Find Familar so that your familiar can deliver touch spells? Since it isn't crossed out in the OP I'm assuming the answer is no, but figured I'd ask all the same.

If not, then RIP the dream for Bestow Curse shenanigans which is one of my favorite spell combos. frown

K
stranger
stranger
K
I believe the shillelagh should work on the greatclub, I just tried it and the greatclub has the same base damage as the staff (my character has 9 strength) I wanted to make a unique blitz type of tank who uses the greatclub with that cantrip (even though they have the same damage I just like the looks of a club over a staff and it says it works for clubs but the greatclub has club in the name XD)

This is just me and it could be modded in but I would love it if it was in the full game, the staff is versatile now and has the same damage as the greatclub for my character of 9 strength so I don’t see any way the greatclub would be overpowered with the shillelagh. I fell in love with the Druid class first time I played it tbh and I would really like to see the greatclub work for it

Also the berry spell is underpowered haha for one spell slot it’s basically one health potion which I don’t believe is a good trade for entanglement or fire rock etc I think just a little buff would be cool I like the idea tbh and I still use it but I heard about it from YouTube and tried it and it was like they said just not that good haha

Just my thoughts and experiences thank you for reading have a nice day laugh

K
stranger
stranger
K
Druid wildform has no + kb from agility? But you can buff it with oak bark.
Look like bug, cos 16 kb in bearform too low (with 12 base kb without bark).

Last edited by Kirk; 04/08/23 10:12 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Kirk
Druid wildform has no + kb from agility? But you can buff it with oak bark.
Look like bug, cos 16 kb in bearform too low (with 12 base kb without bark).

Barkskin per design (and per RAW) increases armour class to 16 if it is otherwise below it. It does not grant any dex bonus on top of that. I've not checked in the full release, but in early access it was working per design. It does of course mean that Barkskin isn't a massively useful spell outside of very specific use cases, especially at the cost of concentration, but that's a separate issue.

Your wildshape forms without Barkskin should, though, get armour class bonuses from dexterity, but the dexterity of the animal form not your druid.

I hope that answers your question, but if not I'd suggest posting a new thread in the Help, Tips & Tricks forum specifically on this topic. I know it has come up before in early access, but I'm happy with new threads being created for the release version.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Would really like to see the SCAG spells at least appear in the game - they're so useful for warrior/caster types. Honestly getting shadowblade would be good too. I'm aware it'll probably have to wait for mods, but considering Larian buffed blade pact warlocks, it'd be nice to throw a bone to eldritch knights and valor/sword bards. Though honestly I just really wish bladesinger (the Tashas version) had been included, it's such a forgotten realms thing. Again, recongise waiting for mods will be necessary now, Larian obviously can't please everyone, its just been a favourite class of mine since 2nd edition, and I've always loved the fighter/wizard character type the most.

Would maybe be cool DLC ideas to look at expanding class options that way.

apprentice
apprentice
I'd like to call attention to the problem of summon spells like Spiritual Weapon and Flaming Sphere creating an entity with some sizable HP and resistanced that can be attacked by enemies, tank hits, and eventually die.

This is really far from the spirit of these spells in Dnd5e, where they're supposed to be untargetable.

I feel like they're way too strong as tanks (summon them, and they absorb many dangerous attacks instead of party members). I think this needs to be toned down.

I suggest a simple change: make the enemy A.I. prioritize attacking people over attacking these non-tank intending summons, when both are in range.

Please don't make them super squishy, I like that they don't just disappear due to aoes in the area, like familiars do.

Last edited by Tottenheim; 07/08/23 08:44 AM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
I want to share my thoughts on a particular aspect of the game that has both intrigued and disappointed me: the portrayal of the necromancer class, specifically the implementation of the "Animate Dead" spell.

As many of you know, in Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, the "Animate Dead" spell is a cornerstone for necromancers, allowing them to summon and control multiple undead creatures. The spell requires regular recasting to maintain control, adding a layer of complexity and strategy that makes playing a necromancer both challenging and rewarding.

However, in "Baldur's Gate 3", this spell has been significantly altered. The excitement of finally reaching the required level to cast "Animate Dead" is dampened by the realization that you can only summon one creature, and it does not require the usual recasting to maintain control. This change not only diminishes the spell's power but also takes away a vital aspect of the necromancer's identity.

The journey to unlock this spell feels like a drag, filled with levels that seem almost boring in comparison to the anticipation of wielding this iconic ability. And when you finally reach that milestone, the spell feels like a shadow of its former self, leaving the necromancer feeling lonely and underpowered.

The subclass of necromancer in "Baldur's Gate 3" feels as if it was a side thought to Larian Studios. Despite the love and attention poured into a BBG who is a necromancer, the player's experience feels lacking. We don't even get spells like "Command Undead" or "Finger of Death," while the Paladin class, specifically the Oath breaker, gets access to "Control Undead" at level 3.

Overall, "Baldur's Gate 3" is a beautiful game, and I eagerly await the opportunity to unlock later levels without the need for mods. However, I believe that the spells and classes, especially the necromancer, need more love and adherence to the source material.

Larian Studios has done an incredible job in many areas, but I hope they will consider revisiting the necromancer class to bring it more in line with the rich and complex character that many of us know and love from D&D.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts, and may your adventures in the Forgotten Realms be filled with excitement and joy.

veteran
veteran
One of the best parts about a Larian game is getting to use Telekinesis and toss enemies around and into hazards. I had a blast grabbing Ketheric Thorm's Mind Flayer minion and slamming it across the battlefield.

The damage seems really low though. You're using Concentration and your Action for the turn to throw someone and they take 1d4 damage unless there's a longer fall available. Should be significantly more for a 5th level spell and spending your action. Similar comparison, Call Lightning is AoE and 3d10 with Save for half. Telekinesis can just whiff completely if they save (why not even Off-Balance, or some other minor effect?). You can't suspend someone mid-air or just keep lifting them higher for fall damage like you can in tabletop, so it seems appropriate the spell should at least compete with a 3rd level spell for damage when you can't drop someone into lava.

Oddly enough, when I tried to toss the Mind Flayer into a chasm for instant death, it just failed. A 5th level spell couldn't accomplish what a Bonus Action Shove can which seems a little backwards. Or was the game smart enough to recognize a flying or levitating creature? There was no feedback why the yeet didn't work after a failed Saving Throw.

And please don't tell me I'm supposed to do something asinine like carry around a heavy chest and use that as a telekinetic weapon? It should be just as powerful using creatures themselves as weapons or just doing a lift and slam without any objects. There had better not be some mandatory gimmick attached to this cool spell for efficiency.

Last edited by 1varangian; 08/08/23 04:03 PM.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard