Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#739639 28/11/20 02:41 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 8
greg700 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 8
Without going into all the details this does not feel like a BG game...

Main menu looks like DOS:
https://ibb.co/52txt9C

Expected, something like... (quick photoshop, sorry I am a bit lazy...):
https://ibb.co/cvN9xpX

Who prefer something alike the expected?

greg700 #739684 28/11/20 11:05 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 598
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 598
Nope ... sorry. :-/
I like current one more.

Nostalgia is fine thing, but nothing should be exaggerated, its over decade old design, games moved on.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/11/20 11:07 AM.

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 572
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 572
Maybe not a copy-paste of BG2, but I'd like something in a similar vein. Would help a tiny bit with "making BG3 feel like BG".

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Nostalgia is fine thing, but nothing should be exaggerated, its over decade old design, games moved on.


"Moved on" in this case means "current aesthetic trends are different". Which, imo, is no reason to do or not do anything. BG3 doesn't need to copy current trends any more than than it needs to copy old trends. The old design was perfectly functional (and stronger stylistically); and even then, there's no reason we can't have aesthetics calling back to the originals (BG2 has a great style even by modern standards) and implement modern QoL/ease-of-use on top of that.

As of now, BG3 lacks strong stylistic identity. There are some elements that could work very well, but they're very subtle (UI "golden borders" etc.). If you made them more prominent and combined with BG2 stylistic framework, the effects could be amazing.

Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 149
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Nope ... sorry. :-/
I like current one more.

Nostalgia is fine thing, but nothing should be exaggerated, its over decade old design, games moved on.


A decade old design... Give me a break.
Good design is good design no matter how old it is.
Id argue recent designs are lifeless and boring.
It isn't <nostalgia> , this IS a Baldurs gate game right?! Then why have a DOS style main menu. Maybe something a bit different/original could be nice. Everything else in the UI is pretty much like DOS2.


Last edited by mr_planescapist; 28/11/20 12:30 PM.
greg700 #739742 28/11/20 06:31 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,025
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,025
I don't really like BG3's main menu because it lacks of personnality.
The music and the "graphics" are irrelevant to me and looks like an introduction of a viking game or something like that...
Nothing feel like Baldur's Gate/The Forgotten Realms/Dungeons & Dragons in the main menu, and that is very dissapointing, especially the first time you launch the game.

On the other hand, as an huge fan of BG1/2 I think BG3 deserve something better and "more 2020" than something that was done 20 years ago.

To be honnest, DoS 1/2's main menu were way better than BG3's main menu to me.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/11/20 06:32 PM.
greg700 #739774 28/11/20 09:32 PM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 15
Z
stranger
Offline
stranger
Z
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by greg700
Expected, something like... (quick photoshop, sorry I am a bit lazy...):
https://ibb.co/cvN9xpX

Who prefer something alike the expected?


Looks nice, would be cool to have a mod with menu like this.

Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 598
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 598
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
BG3 doesn't need to copy current trends any more than than it needs to copy old trends. The old design was perfectly functional (and stronger stylistically); and even then, there's no reason we can't have aesthetics calling back to the originals (BG2 has a great style even by modern standards) and implement modern QoL/ease-of-use on top of that.

Im not sure i understand ... those two sentences together. O_o

On one hand you say that they dont need to it ...
On the other hand you say that they should do it ...

Im confused here. :-/

Anyway all i wanted to say is that old one seem ugly. *shrug*


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
greg700 #739811 29/11/20 12:23 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 688
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 688
I don’t think the old UI is that good.

Button layout is unintuitive, menus are massive. The difference between then and now is resolution - one doesn’t need to cover the screen in large buttons to make things readable. And while, BG1&2 base menus are functional, they are not once more options are available. I also disliked how many clicks one had to go through to start playing the game.

BG3 seems to be using a pretty standard modern layout. It looks perfectly fine. With game running on 3D engine, and being able to generate nice background on top of couple buttons... why take the advantage of it?

I don’t think menu is as good as D:OS2 though... the cave BG3 uses as background isn’t terribly meaningful, at least to my knowledge. Perhaps it will change once we have actual Baldur’s Gate in the game?

greg700 #739825 29/11/20 01:54 AM
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 220
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 220
A midterm between the two would be nice

greg700 #739841 29/11/20 04:41 AM
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 419
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 419
A lifeless flat screen with four colors and nothing to look at but the buttons that are there for functionality is not something I'd enjoy seeing.
Nostalgia is weird.


I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

greg700 #739850 29/11/20 06:47 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 225
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 225
Yah, I am gonna say I like the beautiful, animated 3-D cavern with pretty water reflection effects and stacks of foreboding skulls over what looks like the box art of a board game.

The old art doesn't so much scream "Baldur's Gate" to me as it screams "This game is from the 90s/early 2000s and digital art has only come so far".

greg700 #739861 29/11/20 08:50 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 149
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 149
The BG2 menu screen is glorious in its simpleness and dark beauty.

They could keep the 3D animated cavern and have the center BG3 logo with tentacle buttons popping out (new game etc...) in a similar layout to BG2.
The current boring UI buttons and placing is ...underwhelming.

Another thing, I sense everyone HATES BG1/BG2 in these forums, what gives????? When people mention sensible stuff like this, you know being a Baldurs gate game, its ALWAYS negativity towards the old games.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 29/11/20 09:17 AM.
greg700 #739864 29/11/20 09:16 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,189
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,189
The bg2 menu is long time favourite of mine but objectively... It's lame and dated


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 688
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist

have the center BG3 logo with tentacle buttons popping out (new game etc...) in a similar layout to BG2.
The current boring UI buttons and placing is ...underwhelming.

Current UI easy to read and well organised. That’s just nostalgia for nostalgia sake -updating dated UI is one of best things a new game can make.

greg700 #739866 29/11/20 09:25 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 149
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 149
I would say the new one is blend and boring. Just a moving 3d cave pictur(???), not much style in the layout. Its functional. Like a stool.

Wormerine #739867 29/11/20 09:28 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 149
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist

have the center BG3 logo with tentacle buttons popping out (new game etc...) in a similar layout to BG2.
The current boring UI buttons and placing is ...underwhelming.

Current UI easy to read and well organised. That’s just nostalgia for nostalgia sake -updating dated UI is one of best things a new game can make.


Because.....?? Old games are bad? Like old paintings or old books? I am currently playing BG2, not because of nostalgia but because its quick ass good game. Thats why. Mods are still being developed for it and I dont think its because of nostalgia.
I can give individual party commands and move my characters 5x faster around the map and more efficiently in BG2 than BG3. Yea talk about an <dated> UI....
I do not understand this logic. I understand updating the UI for a console game. ok. But unless I am mistaking we are all using keyboards and mouses in 2020 like we were in 2000. Our mouses and keyboards are just shinier and glow rainbows now.
I mean by your logic, isn't BG3 even dated now that we have next gen VR? Sitting at a desk in front of LCD is just sooo dated now right?. Is that nostalgia Im sensing? Give me a break...

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 29/11/20 09:46 AM.
greg700 #739887 29/11/20 01:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 155
B
member
Offline
member
B
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 155
I don't miss BG1&2 menus and BG3 UI isn't final - UI takes a lot of time and iterations since things constantly change and require rework. I don't expect to see a final version of the UI before the final stretch of the development and til then I won't mind the current look too much.

To be honest though the DOS2 stuff definitely doesn't help to get rid of the DOS feeling the game has (though I don't think it's fair to call it DOS3). Especially since it just keeps your mind on all the DOS-gameplay stuff they ported over with little success.

I hope they will make a more dedicated effort to move away from the over DOS-estethic to something more DnD related. No need though to go back to 90s-UI design.

greg700 #739909 29/11/20 04:31 PM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 28
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 28
This topic reminds me of FilmCow's "Modern Titles" series - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bz2vAXL-Gc

I have no real attachment to BG2's menu, but BG3's is bland - it could be for an assassin's creed game. On the other hand, I don't really care. It's only annoying to the extent it reminds me of other aspects of the game I find bland.

Updating the BG2 look would at least be a bit more interesting.

Last edited by dotmats; 29/11/20 04:32 PM.
Wormerine #739970 30/11/20 01:01 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 572
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 572
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
BG3 doesn't need to copy current trends any more than than it needs to copy old trends. The old design was perfectly functional (and stronger stylistically); and even then, there's no reason we can't have aesthetics calling back to the originals (BG2 has a great style even by modern standards) and implement modern QoL/ease-of-use on top of that.

Im not sure i understand ... those two sentences together. O_o

On one hand you say that they dont need to it ...
On the other hand you say that they should do it ...

Im confused here. :-/


What I meant was that something just being old or new is no reason to copy it. You know, the "it's 2020, so X" argument without giving a single reason for WHY "X" is better. So my first sentence was "it's not better just because it's new/BG3 is under no obligation to follow trends just because they're trends, be it old trends (in general) or new trends". HOWEVER, I believe it would benefit from taking inspiration from BG2's style. Not mindlessly copying it 1-to-1, but, as I said, merging old style with new conveniences and certain stylistic elements already present in BG3.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Anyway all i wanted to say is that old one seem ugly. *shrug*


And with this I just thoroughly disagree. :P

Originally Posted by Wormerine
BG3 seems to be using a pretty standard modern layout.


That's the problem. It looks just like any other modern game. It's generic. Hide the logo (and perhaps background) and it could be any franchise. It's painfully bland.

greg700 #739974 30/11/20 01:19 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 174
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 174
One of my gripes with BG3 is ALL the type in the game is exactly the same font, weight and style as the DOS games, right down to the numbers that pop over your head. That’s partly why it all feels so similar. The dialogue options are even formatted exactly the same way with brackets for skill/race options and stars for narration. Something more akin to earlier BG or something new would be appreciated. Maybe that’s in the works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5