Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
On the one hand, sex is one of the greatest hypocrisies of modern civilization (and someone already pointed it out here - torture and maiming are fine but once you see a boob which is ultimately natural and something you are much more likely to see in a healthy life you lose your mind). But I do wonder whether there should be so much sex everywhere in this game. To be honest I think so far the sex is pretty much on point. Your options for sex as far as I know -
Laezel that views sex very differently than us, as some sort of fun exercise, Minthara which is a Drow, and BG2 already thought us that they like to use sex to assert dominance over their peers, Asterion who is a horny vampire who will sleep with every warm body and it is a huge part of his character, Gale requires you to complete his romance quest to sleep with you, and Wyll which I have no idea if you can even have sex with him at this point. Shadowheart won't give you any no matter what.

Last edited by Abits; 30/11/20 08:11 AM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I wasnt really going to go into detail but, I've gotten some serious responses and I should clear some things up.

First of all, I'm not suggesting anything should be removed. I can set a standard for my children and, a game where the characters are trying to sleep with eachother is not content I'm interested in for children.

My son was embarrassed by the dialogue and options being presented. He was running an evil campaign and had made completely different choices than my game. I was totally unaware of the graphic romance in this game. I figured at most, characters might hook up, maybe see them lay together and, some adult humor.

I was a bit surprised when he's skipping through romantic scenes and asking me "what is this game?". I didnt expect it from a D&D title. We are nerds, I play tabletop with my kids. We play the old BG's and Neverwinter.

Romance is usually dealt with tact and discreet humor... not anymore apparently.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I don't agree with OP.

The game is clearly targeted as Mature.

Sex choices are optional, you can just skip any proposal regarding it.

If you do choose sex, the game is not filled with it, I'm into thirty hours now and only things I notice were suggestions and proposals made during camp rest. It took no more than five minutes from 30 hours.

For all the awful things that can be done in the game, including children and families slaughtering, sex should be the last of things to worry about.

Sex is not gratuitious here, these are characters that were enslaved, tortured, beaten and can still go through a gruesome death. Consented physical pleasure seems quite an healthy option to deal with it.

It comes more as a side note, but these kind of issues always remind me one discussion led by one of Comic's Great Ones, John Byrne, where he told his issues regarding how Wolverine could be shown slicing and maiming enemies, but even the suggestion of sex was a huge No-No-No-No

Last edited by Samshell; 30/11/20 08:43 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Stikyard
I wasnt really going to go into detail but, I've gotten some serious responses and I should clear some things up.

First of all, I'm not suggesting anything should be removed. I can set a standard for my children and, a game where the characters are trying to sleep with eachother is not content I'm interested in for children.

My son was embarrassed by the dialogue and options being presented. He was running an evil campaign and had made completely different choices than my game. I was totally unaware of the graphic romance in this game. I figured at most, characters might hook up, maybe see them lay together and, some adult humor.

I was a bit surprised when he's skipping through romantic scenes and asking me "what is this game?". I didnt expect it from a D&D title. We are nerds, I play tabletop with my kids. We play the old BG's and Neverwinter.

Romance is usually dealt with tact and discreet humor... not anymore apparently.

I mean the Bhaalspawn was rawdogging Aerie back in 2. Nudity and romance has been mainstream in Rpg's for years

Banned
Banned
Fade to dark is the only tactful solution to romances.
Showing nudity is just a substitute for good writing, as always. I never felt like I needed a graphic sex-scene with Visas, Bastila and the Handmaiden because they were decetly written.
However keep in mind that in BG3, none of the companions are delicate people who are in it for a deep connection, or love, they are in it for the sex (with the possible exception of Shadowheart so far).
Astarion even bluntly tells you that he just considers this to be fun. Laezel acts like a dog in heat, basically treating sex like an itch to be scratched. Not sure about Wyll, didn't see his romance yet, but afaik he has potential for something more. Also Gale is creepy, I don't see why you'd romance that guy, ew...
Anyway, the romances we've seen so far are very low quality, they seem formulaic and out of nowhere. I like Shadowheart's the best because it seems to be nice and slow (as it should be), giving more room for development and letting the characters warm up to each other. As for sex-scenes, I would vastly prefer to just remove them alltogether, not because I hate sex, but because it's always better to leave that for the imagination.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eldath
Showing nudity is just a substitute for good writing, as always. I never felt like I needed a graphic sex-scene with Visas, Bastila and the Handmaiden because they were decetly written.
However keep in mind that in BG3, none of the companions are delicate people who are in it for a deep connection, or love, they are in it for the sex (with the possible exception of Shadowheart so far).
Astarion even bluntly tells you that he just considers this to be fun. Laezel acts like a dog in heat, basically treating sex like an itch to be scratched. Not sure about Wyll, didn't see his romance yet, but afaik he has potential for something more. Also Gale is creepy, I don't see why you'd romance that guy, ew...
Anyway, the romances we've seen so far are very low quality, they seem formulaic and out of nowhere. I like Shadowheart's the best because it seems to be nice and slow (as it should be), giving more room for development and letting the characters warm up to each other. As for sex-scenes, I would vastly prefer to just remove them alltogether, not because I hate sex, but because it's always better to leave that for the imagination.

True. The Witcher games were the only games that came close to making sex scenes worth it (sometimes. it was very hit or miss)

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

I agree, I'm not so much against sexual themes but, a certain degree of tact and good writing should allow for it. Two characters lay down, Fade to black is perfect. I really dont understand why I need to see anymore. Sexual innuendos and humor can be fun and entertaining when your characters say something discreet out of no where.

B
Banned
Banned
B
I am really shocked how everyone fears their kid could see some tits but are perfectly fine with the player ripping the brain out of a living human.

I wonder how trump could loose the election.
This game hat an M-Rating! Parents who don’t look at the ratings before buying software for their kids and then being upset at games content should not have children at all.

M
stranger
stranger
M
This should be optional. I love sex content in the game. But still, there should be possibility how to turn it off.

veteran
veteran
While I agree that a discussion about the quality of sex scenes is valid, I don't think we should entertain censorship as an option in an R rated game. At this point, sex is part of the game, and it was always planned to be. we can criticize the quality of the sex scenes and say they are bad, but I really don't think this is what to op is arguing. He is arguing for censorship, which is a silly idea for a game that starts with your main character pulling out a brain from a living person. my question is of course why stop with the sex? why not replace the brain with candy and blood with water, and swords with plastic sticks?

Last edited by Abits; 30/11/20 09:19 AM.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Martinoso
This should be optional. I love sex content in the game. But still, there should be possibility how to turn it off.

You don't have to have sex in the game, it's SO SIMPLE. Just go to bed alone. Or are you upset that you choose the dialogue option "Sleep with a character, have sex with him" and get sex? What do you expect?
Do you want sex and black screen? It will ruin the immersion for 99% of players.

The game has an 18+ rating and her genre is dark fantasy, it's great that it has sex, violence, and other interesting things

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

Do you want sex and black screen?

Yes.

It will ruin the immersion for 99% of players

No.

old hand
old hand

Do you want sex and black screen?

Yes.

It will ruin the immersion for 99% of players

No.

Ok, I'll write about the game censoring murders.
I don’t want to see all these corpses and scenes of us pulling Us's brain out of the skull. Let there be a black screen, because I want to. And let the corpses turn into bags with drops.

And this video with a tadpole in Laezel's eye is so awful! I want a black screen instead. Children are watching!

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Banned
Banned
Murder and sex are not the same, in case you didn't know wink
By the way fun fact: Murder is also not as graphic in the game as it is in real life. We could show necks being slashed close up with great graphic detail, or see guts spill out as our enemies cry and writhe in horrific pain, but we don't, and that's a good thing.
If we made murder too realistic and explicit in the game, most people wouldn't play it because it would make us feel bad. There is a reason why the enemies we kill are just treated as puppets without much of a personality, or evil.
If we don't portray murder and killing as ultra-realistic, why should we do the same with sex?

Fade to black is good, because it leaves things to the imagination. Let's imagine that I wanna have sex with Astarion and the game gives me a scene where he has sex with my male character as a top. But I wanna be top and I want Astarion to be a bottom. Should I write a complaint about how Larian didn't cater to my specific expectations?

Fade to black is once again superior because everyone can just project their own expectations into it.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Again this a M-rated game. The discussion is ridiculous! Do you write to Hollywood studios on every M-rated movie to complain your kids are watching?

This is not a game for kids and should NOT be watched by kids. That what M-rating means.

Don’t let kids watch you playing this game! Go out and play some ball games with them

Last edited by Baldurs-Gate-Fan; 30/11/20 10:26 AM.
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
Again this a M-rated game. The discussion is ridiculous! Do you write to Hollywood studios on every M-rated movie to complain your kids are watching?

This is not a game for kids and should NOT be watched by kids. That what M-rating means.

Don’t let kids watch you playing this game! Go out and play some ball games with them

I'm not a kid nor do I have kids but I still prefer fade to black because sex-scenes overly define what is happening and make implicit things explicit which kills quite a bit of the fantasy element. I don't hate sex or have a problem with boobies, I merely think that you can't portray intimacy while you are also exposing it to the masses. Fade to black is more intimate and more satisfying then an explicit sex-scene. I don't care that you think I hate sex, I don't, I just prefer to fill in some blanks myself instead of having the game do it for me. I will probably skip the sex scenes anyway.

Last edited by Eldath; 30/11/20 10:36 AM.
I'm all for having some intimate scenes, like the way DAI did it, but they also did the fade to black which was nice because frankly I dont wanna know what goes on there, they sleep together they hug, bam done! We all know how it happens!

I understand you have the choice to either participate in those scenes or not which I am grateful for, but I just find when there are explicit scenes I cringe! Only because they are done in a way that's just plain unrealistic and glamourised!

E
E
Do it with quality and love, or don't do it at all (black screen). That is true as well for the whole plot and game.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
To be fair, warnings of nudity/sex and the Mature label are absolutely everywhere...

Regardless of the merits of sex or no sex, and personally, so long as it's tasteful, I don't mind, I'd rather that than watching a Mortal Kombat fatality, there are fair warnings that this stuff exists in BG3.

journeyman
journeyman
As others have already said, the game's content reflects its rating. Don't make it available to your kids unless you are fine with them seeing some naked butts and nipples.

Whether you like or dislike this type of scene in your game is personal preference.

I personally don't mind them on principle, but I do mind their current execution. The jerky animations and poor scene directing reminds me of the romance scenes in the Mass Effect series. It's just awkward to watch. Fade-to-black would certainly be an easier alternative, but if Larian is committed to having them, I hope they will receive a lot more polish.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard