Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
When I find medium armor, only a fighter or Cleric can pick it up off the ground. If I hit take all and the Player Controlled character is a mage, warlock or thief, it is left behind. This doesn't make sense... I mean, what if I want to sell it?

Also, if you select medium armor as a feat, that does not allow you to pick medium armor up. So it seems class restricted, not proficiency restricted. Though the second bug is moot since the first bug shouldn't exist in the first place.

Last edited by Dheuster; 02/12/20 12:21 AM.
I notice that awhile, as I mostly play warlock and ranger. But never narrow down to class issue. Nice find!!!

has to do with your strength, not your class. Stop using wet noodles to try and pick heavy objects up.

Last edited by T2aV; 01/12/20 05:06 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
From 5E rules (SRD):

" If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can’t cast spells."

You can ALWAYS wear armour - but you probably wouldn't want to. But you should certainly be able to pick it up and put it on (assuming you are strong enough to carry it and can still move...)

Then:

"Strength: Heavier armor interferes with the wearer’s ability to move quickly, stealthily, and freely. If the Armor table shows “Str 13” or “Str 15” in the Strength column for an armor type, the armor reduces the wearer’s speed by 10 feet unless the wearer has a Strength score equal to or higher than the listed score." Nothing about not being able to put it on.

So if the OP was saying they couldn't put it on, that's a bug according to the 5E rules. Or another change introduce by Larian.

Originally Posted by booboo

So if the OP was saying they couldn't put it on, that's a bug according to the 5E rules. Or another change introduce by Larian.

The issue/bug is picking it up as you click "take all" from the loot box pop-up. Right now the only way to pick them up is to use send-to, even to self.

OP Offline
I just did a test (per T2aV's comment) and I do believe it is related to Strength. Apparently scale mail armor weighs 41 lbs which is just outside the range someone with 10 STR can pick up... even though your weight limit is 100 lbs and you can still move without a speed penalty up to 200 lbs.

So it is likely the same weight cap they have in place for picking up barrels... but I just think it is ridiculous that you can't pick up as much as you can carry. I shouldn't have to have someone with 12 str to pickup scale mail loot to eventually sell. Laz and Shadowheart right now are the only NPC options that have 12+ str. So if you play as a dexterity based ranger with < 12 STR and pick up Wyll, Gale and Astarion as your companions... you are locked out of picking up any armor loot beyond leather armor. But... you can still buy it?

So, I think it is a bug. Users should be able to pick up any item that can be purchased at a vendor regardless of weight.

Last edited by Dheuster; 02/12/20 12:22 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
It is still not fixed in Patch 3.0 and is a bigger Problem now, that Shadowheart is only Str. 10

Banned
Banned
Two things make this even more annoying.

1. If your character doesn't have enough Str to pick something up when you click "Take All", the game doesn't tell you that. The item is left in the container and you walk away thinking you have picked it up.

2. Strong characters that can pick up most stuff, such as Fighters, tend to have low Charisma. So now, you need to use the fighter to pick everything up, before transferring them to the high Cha character for selling, whereas before, I could just have the high Cha character pick everything up.

stranger
stranger
Interesting.

AFter meeting the Gythianky's patrol I couldn't collect any armor from the ground. I'm pretty sure I tried to do it with Laezel but it didn't work.
I had to right-click on them and "send to" to have them.
But hadn't hany of that pb since then.

Link Copied to Clipboard