Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
I wish there would be a menu only dedicated to explain just every stuff possible about weaponry & spells. What influences their hitchance, etc.
And also: The characters strenghts are not always noted.
For example when we reach the EA's maxlvl, the fourth lvl we can choose to have our characters be more skilled with different types of weapons, thanks to a talent.

And when you choose this instead of just another stat-point -> this change is not written down anywhere!
So when I forget about it due to whatever reasons, I have no means to remember it.
For example make someone be better at using Scythes, or Longbows, or some type of crossbow.
I looked everywhere, it is not written down!

And also the fact that I have not certain means to find out if Bows are influenced by dex only and not str too ( same with Crossbows ) is really annoying.

In many games:
Bows = Dex
Crossbow = Str

Strength , for every 2 levels give +1 to a maximum of +5(20 strength/21 with potion) same with dex while using a finesse weapon. At level 4 you get proficiency(if you choose), which is +2 with a weapon of your choosing. Its used for if your class isn't proficient in let's say sabres and you're a rogue. You have 16 dex,+3 , but you are not proficiency in sabres, you can take it at lvl 4 and get +2, giving it +5. Its a flat bonus of +2, equivalent of +4 to a stat(str/dex).

Dex=Range weapons, sabres, daggers, rapiers, shortswords
Strength=All weapons, minus bows/xbows

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Thank you very much.

I hope this will somewhere be mentioned in the game when the time has come. wink

addict
addict
Yeah, the game really needs better tool tips and explicit information about what different things do. For a dnd noob there is a lot that would be a complete mystery at this point with no way to find things out in game.

No problem.To further explain how hit chance works. The hit chance is the +1 +2 +3 +4 +5(stat) /+ your weapon proficiency+ if the weapon is magical(+1, +2).

Enemy has 15 armour class. You roll a 20 sided dice. 1 being a critical failure, 20 being critical. You need to roll 15 or higher to hit them with zero proficiency. If you roll a 10 , but have 16 dex(+3) and proficiency in your weapon +2. Your roll is 10+2+3= 15. Which is a hit.

Advantage/disadvantage works by rolling two 20 sided dice, and taking the higher number( if you have advantage) of the 2. You roll a 17, and a 5. You take 17 against the armour class of 15, which is a hit. Disadvantage you take the lower of the 2 dice, which is 5. 5 against 15, you miss.

Hopefully that explains it a wee bit more

Last edited by T2aV; 01/12/20 07:59 PM.
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
It's worth noting that taking the weapon proficiency feat is generally not worth it, aside from aesthetic purposes.
Martial classes will already be proficient with the weapons they would be best with, so the only ones taking this will generally be spellcasters. Spellcasters will be better off increasing their ability to spellcast, but for the sake of explaining my point, I'll pretend that you want to use weapons with your spellcaster.

Here's the math on it:
Let's take a Lv4 wizard with a 16 DEX(+3) who can only wield a dagger(1d4) proficiently.

They will have a +5 to hit(3(DEX)+2(Prof.)) and deal 1d4+3(DEX), for
4-7 damage, or an average of 5.5 damage per hit.

At Lvl4, they can choose to take the feat for weapon proficiency or boost their DEX to +4.

Choosing the feat to become proficient in rapiers and longbows, they now have a 1d8 on hit. They still have a +5 to hit, but now for damage they will deal 1d8+3, for 4-11 damage, or an average of 7.5 damage per hit.
The only thing they gained for an ASI was an average of 2 more damage per hit.

Choosing to boost DEX to +4, they now have a +6 to hit(4(DEX)+2(Prof.)) and deal 1d4+4(DEX), for 5-8 damage, or an average of 6.5 per hit.

The wizard that chose to boost his DEX is only down 1 average damage per hit and the ability to fire longbows comparatively, but he gained other benefits as well. His chance to hit; succeed on stealth, sleight of hand, initiative and acrobatics checks; and succeed DEX saving throws all went up by 5%. His AC also increased by 1. +5% chance to hit alone will lead to more damage than 1 more average damage.

The numbers are slightly more favorable when using STR, due to gaining access to 1d12 and 2d6 weapons, but that opens up another can of worms with your survivability.

Overall it makes more sense to either plan ahead and pick a race that offers weapon proficiencies, or to multiclass into a martial class.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
A couple things to note:

In 5e, fInesse weapons can use strength or dex. I can't say I verified this, but I assume BG3 will apply the best for you.

In 5e it's really important to know what the strength based and dexterity based weapons are. If the wizard Evandir discussed above inadvertently decided to take proficiency in a longsword, rather than a rapier, it would be bad. The longsword is a strength based weapon, and the wizard probably has terrible strength, he would still get to add his proficiency bonus to the chance to hit, it would be nearly as good since his ability modifier would likely be 0, or even -1 or -2. He would have to stick to light or finesse to use his dex.

The proficiency for everything is the characters overall proficiency bonus, and will increase when we get to levels 5 (+3), 9 (+4) and, if the game goes that far, level 13 (+5). It tops out at +6 at level 17. Once they unlock level 5 everything you are proficient in will increase by +1; to hit, initiative, spell DC, spell attack, proficient saving throws...

I agree, I don't think you would typically want to give up an ability score increase to get weapon proficiency. The only builds I can see this might make sense are spellcasters if you want to focus on melee fighting and use your spells for healing and/or utility. For example, a Life Cleric might like to have heavy weapon proficiency if you want to do mostly melee damage and keep spells for healing and utility spells. In that build you can have a relatively low Wisdom (with low DC and spell attack modifier), pump up strength, and be effective in battle (at least in low levels.) Not how I would play it, but some might want to.

Heavy weapons are suppose to be unusable to small characters but in game i'm not seeing any difference.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by DanteYoda
Heavy weapons are suppose to be unusable to small characters but in game i'm not seeing any difference.

I don't believe that's a restriction in 5e. You may be thinking of a previous edition.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DanteYoda

Not quite - Smalls are meant to have disadvantage while using them, but they still can. The "Always Reckless" (advantage) greataxe-wielding halfling (disadvantage) barbarian, for example, can rest assured that she never needs to even think about advantage or disadvantage, because she will literally always have a straight roll, regardless of situation or circumstance.

However, in game it does appear that they've discarded this concept; smalls do not swing with disadvantage when using Heavy marked weapons - which makes you wonder why they coded in a 'heavy' category at all, since that is its only function.

addict
addict

Link Copied to Clipboard