Print Thread
#740565 02/12/20 12:57 AM
J
jmos Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
I believe I heard they made an adjustment around how the AI choses which PC's to target, but I think it still needs work.

I was at the Spectator/Drow encounter and playing with a Ranger, Lazeal, Gale, and Asterion. Knowing that Gale would get beat up, I left him at the bottom of the climbable wall and placed the other three in good positions where the Spectator would emerge. When I triggered the Spectator, it released one of the Drow, as it does. Then the Spectator and the Drow proceeded to direct EVERY attack on Gale, at the bottom of the cliff. It flew over Lazeal's head, and right past the Ranger (no opportunity attacks either) and went right for Gale.

Next round, again, every attack was aimed at Gale. The only good news was that it left the other characters free to beat the snot out of the Spectator and take him out easier.

It's hard to use characters to tank, and to protect squishier characters in the back, when all the enemies automatically target them.

old hand
old hand
Did you have him using Mage Armour? This may help a bit. Also, perhaps have him hide at the end of each turn, enemies will not attack anyone out of the sight radius. It makes sense to target the squishies first with an intelligent enemy, although I think it is strange that a stupid enemy would do the same.

addict
addict
Gale + Mirror Image = OP

Gale probably got focussed because the enemy got bonus damage and hit percentage due to High Ground.

Move him up to the high ground, have Mage Armour on him, with Blur or Mirror Image and he should be better.

veteran
veteran
Im affraid that whole idea of "tank" is not working in this game anymore, since enemies finaly (sometimes) seem to have brain ... and prefer easiest targets ... instead the most durable one.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Banned
Banned
Apparently Gale has a very punchable face.
He is a generic "Happy nice guy" and this attitude seems irritating these days also. ^^
So when the AI see's him, its only natural all want a piece of him.

Even without Mirror-image he rarely goes down in my runs. I just put many characters in between him and enemys. But I give him Magearmour too yeah. Just in case something flys by.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Im affraid that whole idea of "tank" is not working in this game anymore

Good. Every class should be able to have a way to deal with being targeted.

J
jmos Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
Yes, mage armor was up. Didn't go to blur or mirror image since the fight was over fairly quickly. Gale didn't go down, they just tried really hard.

My main gripe is that the enemies will often ignore higher armor class PC's that are in their faces dealing them damage, often even taking an opportunity attack, to get to a lower AC PC. Seems unrealistic to me.

veteran
veteran
The stubborn targeting AI combined with the fact that almost every enemy has a teleport/fly/jump ability and/or ranged attacks and the fact that there is no cover from terrain or team mates, makes for pretty frustrating combat.

The same PC gets killed over and over, and on the other hand it's very exploitable. Help, kill, help, kill...while the other two are beating down on the enemy.

Link Copied to Clipboard