Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by kasakoff
Can origin companion multiclass? Because Shadowheart now feels like she beg me to multiclass into any CHA class like Sorcerer or Bard, for instance

They better give us that option otherwise this game will be unplayable. I wanna multiclass Astarion into either a fighter and become a commando, or an Ilmater Cleric for the pure, unadulterated lulz.
Also, Shadowheart's stats make her the perfect candidate for Monk.

Last edited by Eldath; 03/12/20 05:54 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Yeah, BG1 and 2 were filled with non-optimal statlines for characters. Anyone remember Anomen the 12 wis cleric? I think wanting every companion to have some sort of perfectly optimized stat line which is not in line with their character is bad for the game as a whole. A party members statline should be representative of their character and i think CHA14 for a trickery cleric fits quite well. Plus with dex 15 she can now get up to 21AC which makes her a defensive beast in EA.

+1

Yeah, BG1 and 2 were filled with non-optimal statlines for characters. Anyone remember Anomen the 12 wis cleric? I think wanting every companion to have some sort of perfectly optimized stat line which is not in line with their character is bad for the game as a whole. A party members statline should be representative of their character and i think CHA14 for a trickery cleric fits quite well. Plus with dex 15 she can now get up to 21AC which makes her a defensive beast in EA.

I'm pretty sure it was such a meme from BG 1 to kill Khalid's useless ass to keep Jaheira and not have him take up a party spot they made it canon in BG 2.

Last edited by Bossk_Hogg; 04/12/20 04:56 PM.
Her stats are pretty optimal now IMO. Though she should start with a dagger rather than the mace. +4 to hit d4 +2 damage vs +2 to hit and d6 damage.

Last edited by Bossk_Hogg; 04/12/20 02:08 AM.
addict
addict
At least she now has close to 27 "point-buy" (30 actually).

I agree, like other showed here, 14 Str or Con would fit her better than Chr.
She is sassy, but not really very charismatic (maybe 12).

addict
addict
I am just glad she doesn't have a negative AC bonus. She's finally a pretty decent tank with highish AC near the start of the game now.

15 DEX is too much though. Drop that down to 14 and she gets 2 points to put somewhere else. Maybe boost strength to 12 or INT to 10.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Evandir
Trickster clerics are not your traditional or stereotypical cleric.
Their gods are the patrons of thieves, scoundrels, gamblers, rebels, and liberators. The clerics themselves prefer subterfuge, pranks, deception, and theft rather than direct confrontation.
Their spells and features are designed to help themselves and their party perform acts of subterfuge.

They do not benefit very much from having a high STR
They receive neither martial weapon or heavy armor proficiencies.
The best STR weapons they can wield without feats or multiclassing are 1d6's one handed or 1d8 two handed.
The difference between using a mace 1d6 + 2(STR) and a dagger 1d4 + 2(DEX), which both will have the same hitchance, is an average of 1 damage per hit.
They don't need STR to wear halfplate, which gives them 1 AC less than full plate. I would recommend wearing breastplate however, so that you don't have disadvantage on stealth rolls.

A decent DEX helps them with their sneakery
A decent CON helps them maintain concentration spells like Spirit guardians
A high WIS is necessary because their spells rely on it, along with increasing their ability to detect lies and scout for the party
A decent CHA helps them trick and deceive enemies, which along with their domain spells, helps them infiltrate places they aren't supposed to be

ALL of this.

And also all of this.

As a rule, game developers don't give companion NPCs super optimized stats. Maybe they do occasionally, but doing so is usually a very low priority. Because they want the stats to fit the character concept as they've envisioned them, and because it's not really required to be that min/maxed in order to complete the content. Right now the game is already easy as New Orleans, and even on the harder difficulty when they add it, I highly doubt you'll need hyper-optimized companions in order to succeed. You'll just need good tactics and system knowledge.

I kinda like lowering Shadowheart's strength, because she just doesn't look or "seem like" an especially physically strong person. Lae'zel does (despite being an emaciated githyanki), and so does Wyll, but Shadowheart doesn't exude that "big muscles energy" to me.

At first I was a bit skeptical about the 8 intelligence thing, but then I remembered that she has literally...

...had a whole bunch of her mind WIPED. Losing a ton of memories might make someone less smart overall. I mean, it's a good enough excuse, anyway.

As for charisma, I always see people saying like, "Shadowheart is a mean person, therefore unlikeable, therefore her charisma should be low" but I don't concur. I mean first of all, I fundamentally disagree that someone who is prickly, secretive, defensive, or hostile is automatically unlikeable. Maybe I've just had a lot of real shitty people as friends (okay, not maybe) so I'm used to learning to like people with abrasive personalities and little charm.

But charisma is the most nebulous stat in D&D, and it can always mean a whole lot of different things. The player basically gets to decide what their charisma means. Maybe it means you're super likeable, or maybe it just means you have a strong personality or sense of self, or maybe it means you have a lot of confidence, or maybe it just means you're good-looking and that subtly influences the way people see you (or the way you see yourself). Shadowheart is probably pretty good at manipulating people in everyday life, and she probably has a fair amount of confidence owing to her appearance among other advantages. You can be a terrible person and still have a lot of sway over people.

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 04/12/20 08:17 AM.
veteran
veteran
Another important thing is that
Originally Posted by Patch
Tweaked DEFAULT ability distribution for Clerics and Rogues. Clerics start with more DEX to take advantage of medium armor; Rogues start with more INT to open them up for Arcane Trickster archetype.

Thus, any person unfamiliar with D&D will probably choose stats similar to these when starting as a Cleric. Now, while it's arguable that the current stats fit for SH, many clerics (especially heavy armor clerics) will be punished by these stats.
I can easily imagine many players starting as a cleric and then feeling absolutely useless in melee combat because of the low strength. Clerics (including SH) start out with maces, right? Which are not finesse. This is misleading.

Hopefully, at least, Larian will separate Companion ability scores from default recommended distributions.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Another important thing is that
Originally Posted by Patch
Tweaked DEFAULT ability distribution for Clerics and Rogues. Clerics start with more DEX to take advantage of medium armor; Rogues start with more INT to open them up for Arcane Trickster archetype.

Thus, any person unfamiliar with D&D will probably choose stats similar to these when starting as a Cleric. Now, while it's arguable that the current stats fit for SH, many clerics (especially heavy armor clerics) will be punished by these stats.
I can easily imagine many players starting as a cleric and then feeling absolutely useless in melee combat because of the low strength. Clerics (including SH) start out with maces, right? Which are not finesse. This is misleading.

Hopefully, at least, Larian will separate Companion ability scores from default recommended distributions.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I seem to recall while making a cleric yesterday, that when I swapped from a light cleric(medium armor,) to a life cleric(heavy armor,) the stats automatically swapped from a decent DEX to a decent STR. I'm not at my computer to test that though.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Evandir
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I seem to recall while making a cleric yesterday, that when I swapped from a light cleric(medium armor,) to a life cleric(heavy armor,) the stats automatically swapped from a decent DEX to a decent STR. I'm not at my computer to test that though.

Oh, that's great! I haven't actually played since the new patch, so was only going by the text in the patch notes.
If DEX clerics also start out with a finesse weapon (I guess daggers are the only option for most?), then that's even better!
Of course, choosing our own starting equipment (heavy armor for fighters pls) would be best.

Returning to SH. I still think that at least moving DEX 15 ->14 and STR 10->12 would be nice. Same dex bonus but the higher STR just improves so many other aspects (carrying limit, str bonus to mace attacks, shoving, jumping, etc)

Last edited by mrfuji3; 04/12/20 06:35 PM.
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Returning to SH. I still think that at least moving DEX 15 ->14 and STR 10->12 would be nice. Same dex bonus but the higher STR just improves so many other aspects (carrying limit, str bonus to mace attacks, shoving, jumping, etc)

Yeah, the 15 isn't really getting her anything she wouldn't from the 14. There aren't enough ASI's to go for Medium armor master, which is still a very niche choice. If i was asking for a min/maxed trickster cleric I'd want a 14 CON.

Hopefully there will be a mechanic to change companions stats, so that if someone has a specific build in mind, they aren't limited in their multiclass options. It would be rough if you really like a companion and had a cool concept for a way you wanted to build them, only to see that you could never pull it off with their stat array.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard