Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
OP Online Embarrased
veteran
When you clear the Cave-In in order to save Nere ...
Cinematic starts where Nere kills one of the gnomes, by throwing her into Lava.

But there is "attack" button in the bottom left corner (or you can attack him before that cinematic even starts) ... would be nice if game would recognize that you attacked Nere before he kills the Gnome, so she can survive aswell. smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
I think what you want is totally impossible for Larian to provide with its current implementation of 100% cinematic dialogues. Way too much work/problems to solve for such huge game. Unless we wait another couple years??

This would of been totally doable with text/voices though. And why personalty I prefer written text...while of course keeping important cinematics. Just way more options and easier to work with and edit/change.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 20/06/22 08:17 PM.
veteran
OP Online Embarrased
veteran
When you get through the Crypt ... and get through it to the surface.
GImblebock will claim that the Crypt is theirs ...

You can:
- [Deception] *Pretend you are some ancient monster, that craive their blood*
- [Intimidation] *Claim the Crypt yours and demand them to leave*
- Attack

Im really missing some honest, good, choice here. :-/
Why cant i say i have no interest in the Crypt at all? :-/

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
When you get through the Crypt ... and get through it to the surface.
GImblebock will claim that the Crypt is theirs ...

You can:
- [Deception] *Pretend you are some ancient monster, that craive their blood*
- [Intimidation] *Claim the Crypt yours and demand them to leave*
- Attack

Im really missing some honest, good, choice here. :-/
Why cant i say i have no interest in the Crypt at all? :-/

I have the same issue when coming across Laezel in the cage. There's an option to use deception to get the tieflings to leave, but what if I want to save Laezel *and* be honest?

Basically, I'd like an option that says something like: "Let her down. She's with me."

I guess I could just attack the tieflings, but I'd rather they initiated the combat if that's what honesty is going to result in.

veteran
OP Online Embarrased
veteran
Soooo ...
Since it seems that Larian have no intention to anyhow change or altern Shadowheart appearance.

How about use it instead?
When she "shockingly reveals" that she indeed worship Shar ... let us make passive Religion roll ... prefferably with Advantantage for them or low enough so Clerics of Shar or Selune almost certainly pass.

And when suceed in that roll ... let it unlock another short dialogue like:
Tav: Yeah no shit ... i mean you are wearing her symbols, refuse to help others and keep bitchin against Seluna.
Shadow: So, you noticed. Most people tend to oversight such hints. ... Anyway are we going to have problem?

Wich would lead back to our standard conversation where we either tell her that we dont care or that she should leave.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
That'd probably be a good idea. I would add however that succeeding in the roll gives us the player a narrated explanation of who Shar is, since we don't really get the full context of that otherwise.

addict
addict
I will note that a couple of additional suggestions related to this thread were made in this thread 💛

I didn't notice this thread before 😅

This is just in case the people seeking the feedbacks missed it since the other thread is in the "General" section 🙂

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I want my Draconic Sorcerer to be able to get two additional dialogue choices when meeting the gith patrol and their dragon:

Tav (to dragon after the arrogant gith leader's done insulting us/Laezel): "You know, my grandfather was a dragon, so I just gotta ask... Do you think I'm as hot as I think you are?". Pass an 18 persuasion check, or the dragon will instantly roast your entire group. If passed, the dragon will reply with a smirk and (if sorcerer passes an insight check) cast a lustful gaze at the Kith'rak... Laezel disapproves, and will try and smooth things over with the Kith'rak, and Laezel will have an easier time passing her own deception check because Kith'rak is distracted by being angry with the sorcerer PC.

OR

If there's a possibility for a specific dialogue option for a Red Dragon DracSorc: "Grandmommy? ". Same 18 persuasion check, but dragon will look disgusted at the thought of being related to you...unless you're githyanki.

"Tribe?"
veteran
OP Online Embarrased
veteran
So i watched WolfheartFPS stream recently, when he played as Cleric of Selûne ...
And he said something like his character feels offended, when Shadowheart told him "Shar's blessing uppon you."

I for one think that this fits perfectly to her character ...

So what i would like to ask would be some fitting answer like:
[Cleric of Selune] "May Selune guide your steps in the night, and bring them to the new dawn."

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 03/10/22 08:05 PM.

addict
addict
Another moment that popped up in my head recently (screen from Youtube since I don't have a save before this happens) :
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

(This happens during a conversation with Wyll)

Honestly, no option fits my character(s). I legit just left.

1. I have no desire to get rid of all goblins (Enabling hatred). Why would I?
2. I'm not a fan of enabling "revenge/vengeance" quests.
3. Nagging / being an a**hole.

So I can pick between being an enabler or being a j*rk.
Were the first two lines written by an Oath of Vengeance paladin 😅?

Examples of alternative options :
- "Would this really fix your problem?" or "Would this really make you feel better"?
- "I see...interesting aspiration..." or "Riiiiight. Have fun at it...I guess."

Edit : Just to be clear. I think it's perfectly fine if those options fit you (or your character) or don't bother you. Those options just feel very restrictive ; only allowing two very specific types of reaction to Wyll's declaration.

Last edited by MelivySilverRoot; 22/10/22 03:03 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
Another moment that popped up in my head recently (screen from Youtube since I don't have a save before this happens) :

Agree!!! This conversation stood out to me as well. There is nothing I want to pick in those choices. I hope they add another option to this conversation for characters who don’t support revenge!

Last edited by Icelyn; 22/10/22 04:32 PM.
addict
addict
Going through a playthrough of BG2, had to post this here smile
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
I've never encountered that issue. There's a way to get sent to jail?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot

1. I have no desire to get rid of all goblins (Enabling hatred). Why would I?
2. I'm not a fan of enabling "revenge/vengeance" quests.
3. Nagging / being an a**hole.

So I can pick between being an enabler or being a j*rk.
Were the first two lines written by an Oath of Vengeance paladin 😅?

Examples of alternative options :
- "Would this really fix your problem?" or "Would this really make you feel better"?
- "I see...interesting aspiration..." or "Riiiiight. Have fun at it...I guess."

Edit : Just to be clear. I think it's perfectly fine if those options fit you (or your character) or don't bother you. Those options just feel very restrictive ; only allowing two very specific types of reaction to Wyll's declaration.

But then, in life, aren't we all sometimes faced with a decision where no option is optimal?

veteran
OP Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Don Bartenstein
But then, in life, aren't we all sometimes faced with a decision where no option is optimal?
No.
At least I have never been in a situation where a higher power would prevent me from saying something.

See thats the point of this topic ...
Mentioning of situations where your character cant express him-/her-self, bcs the game simply dont have such option.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The dialogue with Barcus after rescuing him is also missing more options, I think. There should definitely be another dialogue option aside from saying that he is far away from the Underdark or leaving. Barcus lived in Baldur's Gate for some years, and presumabely, he is not the only Deep Gnome who does not live in the Underdark, so it is likely that our Tav has met Deep Gnomes on the surface before or has at least heard about them.

If I don't want to play my Tav as very ignorant, I have to choose "Leave", but then I will not learn that Barcus is on his way to the Underdark to search for a friend who had gone missing.

An additional dialogue option where our Tav could ask where Barcus is going now could also lead to this dialogue part. New dialogue recording wouldn' t even be necessary.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
Going through a playthrough of BG2, had to post this here smile
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

------------
Regarding bg2->

Now imagine voicing all the answers and adding seperate facial features depending on what you said. I know in one of the patches they said they are automating this through some kind of system based on the emotion meaning they could include it across the entire game way more easily but still.

It's just unrealistic to have both voice overs and cinematics for 9 different choices. Even in BG2 most of them lead to 2-3 respones max(It's usually the case when those gigantic dialogue trees appear. The NPC won't have that many answers as you have dialogue options). Larian could use that system where you have 5-10 different answers leading to 2-5 possible outcomes. Putting aside the fact console gamers will shoot you for implementing the idea of a "scrollable" dialogue tree every now and then (cause how else you're supposed to fit them on the screen?) that's ...not as much work( you're not voicing player text) but if the outcome is the same you're not achieving much more than an illusion of choice. Which is nice to have, don't get me wrong. But you're not solving the issue ^^

Especially to what you see in the game you have to add dialogue options per class and race and per (!!!) allignment and differnt combos of those 3.
Because yes, aligment was very rarely taken into consideration in BG2. In BG3 the 1st dialogue with shadowheart can have a very different vibe to it based on class+ allignment( evil cleric options). Same in the underdark if i rememer correctly, a couple dialogues take it into account.

-------------------
BG2 aside->

So to me it seems BG3 does indeed have a bit less ( ok, way less) dialogue options per conversation but allows for more permutations based on classes and races( based on my experience when playing it as an evil cleric).
Which honestly is quite nice from replayability persepective if my last playthrough is indicative of how it will work when playing with a different class(Good aligned warrior for instance,does he have his own dialogue options in ACT1? I'm assuming he does).
Based on this last statement I think the current dialogue state is quite ok tbh, it's definitely not shocking even if it can lead to a bit " narrow" scenarios similar to what Ragnarok described above.

I would genually enjoy Larian focusing on populating the map with more different scenarios with a "fair " amount of choices rather then trying to overbuild every single side quest( that's what that kid is) to the point where all different options are covered.
I would say covering at least the 3 basic extreme allignment choices should be enought:
1) good outcome 2) evil outcome 3) neutral outcome

Last edited by virion; 22/01/23 08:28 AM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
OP Online Embarrased
veteran
Stay on topic please.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Going back to missing dialogue choices. smile

Not only are there choices missing, but also the usage of already gahered information is missing at a lot of points still.

Letting the Hag take your eye she tells you the magic is Netherese shadow magic. Yet talking to Halsin about it never lets you mention it. Its still just "some" magic.

Kaghas shadow druid story is pretty much the same...it has next to no impact on Halsin and you cannot even tell it to him. "your grove is in danger" is all we get.

If you do not follow the predetermined steps of the story a lot of conversations do not work properly anymore. I had runs where i gave Gale magic items before he even told me about his condition. After that the initial conversation still happened sometime later.

same with shadowheart and her shar worship. sometimes that revelation happens more than once. Or the artifact. You can have it revealed before you enter the goblin camp and after that cinematic it is as that has never happened.

The game is still full of those little mismatches. I really wonder if they get that fixed until release. Soemtimes im not even sure if we are playing on an acutal build or if we are behind...

Last edited by UnknownEvil; 23/01/23 06:54 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
Not only are there choices missing, but also the usage of already gahered information is missing at a lot of points still.

Letting the Hag take your eye she tells you the magic is Netherese shadow magic. Yet talking to Halsin about it never lets you mention it. Its still just "some" magic.

I’m in two minds about this. Yes, it might be nice if the game reflected what we’ve learned elsewhere, but given the variety of different orders we can do things in I suspect this could make the dialogue trees hideously complicated and make other things I’d like to see, such as voiced protagonists, more costly and unlikely. I’m happy to restrict additional or changed dialogue to cases where it really matters. For example, if all that Halsin could be expect say about the fact that Netherese shadow magic is involved is “Huh, interesting, but I don’t know what to make of that,” then I’m not sure there’s any point in having dialogue with him about it. But if a character has insight to offer, that’s a different matter.

Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
If you do not follow the predetermined steps of the story a lot of conversations do not work properly anymore. I had runs where i gave Gale magic items before he even told me about his condition. After that the initial conversation still happened sometime later.

same with shadowheart and her shar worship. sometimes that revelation happens more than once. Or the artifact. You can have it revealed before you enter the goblin camp and after that cinematic it is as that has never happened.

The game is still full of those little mismatches. I really wonder if they get that fixed until release.

But yes, I do agree that the logic of companion conversations needs to be fixed so as to work in whatever order they occur. Though I suspect that we’re not going to see any significant changes here until full release, given that issues here don’t make the game unplayable and Larian have already said that we can expect significant changes to Act 1 in the full game. Polishing companion conversations within the EA narrative may therefore not be the best use of their time.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard