Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Argyle
Originally Posted by Seleniumcodec
STOP trying to hypothetically speaking please Richard known as Dick the Lock to his mates who wears a wig and hat at the table on Tuesday nights arguing with his mate Oscar the Ogre cause last time the die fell off the table resulting in the cat needing surgery after swallowing it, Dicks angry as he likes his own way so is insistant that it landed on a 16 when it was extracted by the Vetenary Surgeon after she dropped it in an instrument tray, but couldn't have his Iphone on in case it interfered with electronics..Just carry on going down your own path..It's based on DND guys, note the word based, Oh and rember it's EA too some people

I agree this is great stuff. I had to read it three times before I really got the story straight, ha! From now on, I am going to leave my cell phone in the car and wear a wig and hat just like Dick the Lock when I go to the veteran to have a dice removed from my cat while inside an electro-magnetically active operating room.

I think this needs to be adapted into the form of interpretive dance. Possibly directed by Kojima.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
i wonder if youre just trying to wind me up now
>warlock is a 4th edition class with 4th edition problems

For one thing, Warlock is not a 4th edition class and i dont know how youd come to that conclusion.
Warlock very much was a thing in 3.5, maybe you got confused because Pathfinder doesnt have Warlocks, but they were introduced with 3.5.
Secondly i DM a year long 4e campaign with a warlock in the party right now and there are none of these issues. Thats due to 4e not beeing poorly designed and making sure that this doesnt happen.
AEDU has this entire system baked into the core of the rules and as such the entire "issue" with short rests is resolved by applying it to everyone.

The only "4e" like class in 5e is the battlemaster, and by which i mean its a butchering of a system that 4e applied to all classes.
Battlemasters existance is the reason other fighter archetypes in 5e will always be lackluster.

See, you might not be aware of this but when 5e originally came around, the Battlemasters maneuvers and superiority die were simply a system for the fighter.
And for some reaosn that nobody now understands it got removed again and shoved into its own subclass, making all of these systems unavailable to other martial classes.

The reason for this primarily beeing grognards crying about not all of the special attention going to wizards.

And this just marks the entire problem with 5e. It doesnt know wha tit wants to do, it waters down all the good thigns from previous editions, tries to implement them at the same time and, this is the part where our two analysis are gonna diverge, fails miserably at it.
The quasi short rest focused playstyle of Warlock completley falls apart next to other characters in 5e, especialy if you then abuse the system when multiclassing a paladin.

Instead of a functional system, you got several butchered system that dotn work with one another

I see that you are a person of culture. +1

veteran
Online Sad
veteran
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK

5e is a barebones mess of a system and ive not seen it been runw ithout houserules yet. Even those that thought they were running it RAW accidently put in stuff from earlier editions like charging or other ways in which critical hits work.

Amen. 5e purist are the biggest danger to BG3 at the moment, let's hope Larian filters their noise out.

I myself am NOT a fan of D&D rules, especially 5e rules, and am happy to see Larian change 5e rules wherever it is appropriate to make this VIDEO game fun for players.

That said, "5e purists" are not the problem with the game. It is "D:OS purists" who are the real problem. And just between those two groups' preferences, the "5e purists" ought to be favored over the "D:OS purists" 100% of the time by Larian in what is supposedly a D&D game.

Last edited by kanisatha; 07/12/20 03:34 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by kanisatha

5e is a barebones mess of a system and ive not seen it been runw ithout houserules yet. Even those that thought they were running it RAW accidently put in stuff from earlier editions like charging or other ways in which critical hits work.

Amen. 5e purist are the biggest danger to BG3 at the moment, let's hope Larian filters their noise out.

I myself am NOT a fan of D&D rules, especially 5e rules, and am happy to see Larian change 5e rules wherever it is appropriate to make this VIDEO game fun for players.

That said, "5e purists" are not the problem with the game. It is "D:OS purists" who are the real problem. And just between those two groups' preferences, the "5e purists" ought to be favored over the "D:OS purists" 100% of the time by Larian in what is supposedly a D&D game.

I cannot imagine there are actual people who are mad that Baldur gate 3 isn't like Divinity when both games are completely different lol that's like being mad why Mass effect isn't like the Unreal tournament.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Originally Posted by Kaptin
People keep forgetting your starting companions are lawful evil vampire, lawful evil cleric who worships Shar, "alien" who is super xenophobic and her race is known to raid and pillage most of the time when they are not hunting the illithid so no wonder they are rude, mean and cold to you what I like is how they behave like real people would no longer from super meanie to super nice guy because you got the exact amount of points in their approval you can make them friendlier to you by accepting them and showing them a place where they can stay because your entire camp is full of outcasts. People like Gale and Wyll are way friendlier and nicer because these are good characters so I find funny how people were complaining about your companions being harsh to you.

That's like bitching about Viconia being super edgy, cold bitch who never smile and shadowheart is a big hand for Viconia from the first game as both are evil clerics worshipping Shar, so why no one complained about Viconia, yet everyone has a problem that shadowheart is mean lol. I would love to get more variations for companions and add missing core classes (Barbarian, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Sorcerer, and Bard maybe Artificer?) and maybe more subraces for each race dark dwarf, ghostwise halfling etc.

(With the disclaimer that I don't have my own crystallized opinions on companions yet.)

You're conflating "evil" with "unlikeable", "annoying", "bitchy" and a couple of other things that don't need to go together. From what I can tell from reading this forum, it's the latter that many people don't like: companions criticizing every small thing you do and generally being a pain. No one complained about Viconia, because Viconia may have been a cold bitch, but wasn't bitchy.

BG2 is actually a good example of evil characters being "likeable" (the whole evil cast I think) and good characters being "unlikeable" (YMMV, but let's say Nalia, Anomen and Aerie.)

So the problem isn't generally the morality (or lack thereof), it's how the characters are portrayed; their personality, their writing. On the subject of the latter, several users noted that they all behave like characters in a teenage drama or the like. It's not just evil alignment. (Wyll and Gale have also been criticized.)

But it's also not that I don't see your point: some people ARE complaining because the evil companions aren't instantly chummy with their PC. And since most people tend towards "goody-two-shoes", it's more likely the evil characters won't be happy with how things go.

I was surprised by this hostile behavior but once I learned their pasts I could understand why they are like that, the problem with modern games is the devs tends to listen to irrelevant snowflakes who get mad at stupid things like why are companions behave like your nagging wife, etc.

I personally had no issue with their behavior and I liked how their approval worked on everything you do it made me feel sometimes like I'm with real people and not with some piece of coding. I also believe this change to make them less whiny is healthier for this game and being whiny and bitchy I compared here with evil because they only whine when you do good stuff they deem to be waste of time ( helping people, self-sacrifice) while good companions are bitching when you are ruthless bastard who paints entire sword coast in red and I know Dorn or Viconia also were nagging and bitching when you tried to help someone or be a good guy for once so for me it felt like these people really wanted super edgy baddies who will worship their PC as a god and they will murder and torture everyone for the lulz.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

What DOS purists? I don't remember seeing anyone saying "the game should be more like DOS".

veteran
Online Sad
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

What DOS purists? I don't remember seeing anyone saying "the game should be more like DOS".

IMO, such things as excessive environmental elemental surfaces and effects, barrelmancy, ridiculous elevation advantages, origin characters, locked party composition, etc. are example of the game being more like D:OS. So when people strongly advocate for any of these kinds of things, they're looking for the game to be more like D:OS.

The word "purist" is not appropriate, I agree. I used it myself only because the post I was responding to used it. I don't think there are any such "purists," TBH, and people have complex motivations re. this game.

veteran
veteran
STOP trying to hypothetically speaking please Richard known as Dick the Lock to his mates who wears a wig and hat at the table on Tuesday nights arguing with his mate Oscar the Ogre cause last time the die fell off the table resulting in the cat needing surgery after swallowing it, Dicks angry as he likes his own way so is insistant that it landed on a 16 when it was extracted by the Vetenary Surgeon after she dropped it in an instrument tray, but couldn't have his Iphone on in case it interfered with electronics..Just carry on going down your own path..It's based on DND guys, note the word based, Oh and rember it's EA too some people

I agree this is great stuff. I had to read it three times before I really got the story straight, ha! From now on, I am going to leave my cell phone in the car and wear a wig and hat just like Dick the Lock when I go to the veteran to have a dice removed from my cat while inside an electro-magnetically active operating room.

I think this needs to be adapted into the form of interpretive dance. Possibly directed by Kojima.

I think we've found the author of this.

[Linked Image]

addict
addict
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

I think we've found the author of this.

[Linked Image]

Oh wow. You know what, this kind of reminds me of Inspirobot. Drunk Inspirobot.

veteran
Online Sad
veteran
Yes, buuuut Solasta. But Solasta is doing it right wink

Sorry but combat is better now that the cantrips are back to core DnD. Sometimes people know what they want. Granted Solasta is just a dungeon crawl with fugly graphics but people are having lots of fun with combat.

Sorry but I've gotta' ask: Where is this "ugly graphics" thing coming from about Solasta? I have yet to play the game myself, but what I have seen of its graphics looks really good. Maybe not as good as BG3 or other AAA-budget games to be sure, but very good. Here's their latest dev update, which includes some in-game screenshots, which imo look gorgeous.

https://forums.solasta-game.com/forum/dev-update-25-new-content-sneak-peek

veteran
veteran
i dont even think there needs to be a distinciton between "based on dnd" and "dnd"
everyone houserules in dnd.

This may not be a charitable interpretation but thats the internet for you. As i pointed out before, "feats" are an optional rule in 5e. Thats not exactly houserules but that means that in order to play the game "Properly" , i.e. how every single DM seems to run the game at least from my anecdotal evidence of /tg/ and other roleplaying oriented circles, you need to extend the basic ruleset.

Which leads me to the conclusion that people angry about larian doing just that, are just angry at larian and either dont play dnd at all, play another edition of it or simply are only used to ADnD 2E based video games and assume RAW 5e is somehow the same thing.

I don't that's right at all. There is a meaningful distinction between optional rules and house rules. Feats are an optional rule -- people like them and they are in the game. Dip is a home rule that gives anyone with a candle abilities that should be handled by martial cantrips and arcane archer features. Of course dip is easy enough to ignore but it's OP cheese.

Same goes for the weight of barrels -- this patch made it easier to ignore barrels and that's a good thing.

I actually don't see lots of sincere anger. This is a game, discussions about the rules are fun smile

On the other posts, no not trying to rile you up, yes I know that warlocks made it into 3.5 but they were pretty different. And as someone who has DM'd an number of games yes, everyone uses house rules. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like the house rules I used with 3.0 because it made more 2nd ed. One of the things I liked about BG is that it seemed to implement all the house rules I tended to use. I mean did anyone really implement the demihuman level caps? How many DMs were Gygax level hardasses about when you could use backstab? Bioware got it right. Larian is getting better but they need to move further away from DOS.

addict
addict

Sorry but combat is better now that the cantrips are back to core DnD. Sometimes people know what they want. Granted Solasta is just a dungeon crawl with fugly graphics but people are having lots of fun with combat.

Sorry but I've gotta' ask: Where is this "ugly graphics" thing coming from about Solasta? I have yet to play the game myself, but what I have seen of its graphics looks really good. Maybe not as good as BG3 or other AAA-budget games to be sure, but very good. Here's their latest dev update, which includes some in-game screenshots, which imo look gorgeous.

I think it's mostly character models, although they seem to be improving on that front (Winter Patch announcement). The faces look... kind of weird and the proportions are wonky. The hair looks like it's sculpted from polymer clay. The grid system also means the world is very visibly... well, grid-based and square-ish.

However, the environment shots look gorgeous indeed. I personally won't be put off by the graphics too much, I consider them pretty good for an indie, especially if they can improve the character models.

Btw, thanks for providing the link, I somehow missed that.

veteran
veteran

Some of the settings are nice but the close ups are terrible after playing bg3. Elves look like the hunchback on Notre Dame and sound like characters from Eastenders. The (super responsive devs) say that they are improving the closeups but they would do much better to scrap them and what PoE did and use hand drawn sketches.

You know what I've not seen in a video game for a long time? Woodcuts. Find an artist who does electronic wood portraits.

Edit: didn't realize Uncle Lester already answered smile

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 07/12/20 07:01 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
You know what I've not seen in a video game for a long time? Woodcuts. Find an artist who does electronic wood portraits.

I believe there is currently a shortage of electronic wood.

addict
addict

Some of the settings are nice but the close ups are terrible after playing bg3. Elves look like the hunchback on Notre Dame and sound like characters from Eastenders. The (super responsive devs) say that they are improving the closeups but they would do much better to scrap them and what PoE did and use hand drawn sketches.

Edit: didn't realize Uncle Lester already answered smile

Ahaha, ninjad!

This is an interesting idea, actually; do you happen to have a link for (spoiler-free) PoE example?

Beautiful stylized drawn art could work really well, especially if they weave it into the UI and loading screens and the like. I'm not a fan of Inquisition, but its stylized tarot art was amazing. (I think it started with DA2, actually.) And I don't think it would be... prohibitively expensive?

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Let me know when we get word on Character Import/Export. Thats essential for me and a ton of other. I have stopped playing until I know its in the full game. Otherwise its just a pass.

veteran
Online Sad
veteran

I think it's mostly character models, although they seem to be improving on that front (Winter Patch announcement). The faces look... kind of weird and the proportions are wonky. The hair looks like it's sculpted from polymer clay. The grid system also means the world is very visibly... well, grid-based and square-ish.

However, the environment shots look gorgeous indeed. I personally won't be put off by the graphics too much, I consider them pretty good for an indie, especially if they can improve the character models.

Yeah the grid-thing look is something that bothers me too (in all grid-based games). Character models are apparently improving, so we'll see.

Personally, and this is in response to @KillerRabbit as well, in the context of a small indie developer with a very tight budget, I'd rather they spend their money on pretty much anything else compared with graphics and character model fidelity. Don't get me wrong. When a game has awesome graphics, I welcome that and love it. There's a comment I made in another thread about realism in my RPGs. I love my RPGs to have as much realism as is possible, and the close-ups of character models showing very high levels of realism and detail is fantastic. But if I'm faced with (budget) trade-offs, I'm happy to sacrifice graphics over such things as story, character development, branching dialogue, interesting quests, etc.

addict
addict

Yeah the grid-thing look is something that bothers me too (in all grid-based games). Character models are apparently improving, so we'll see.

Personally, and this is in response to @KillerRabbit as well, in the context of a small indie developer with a very tight budget, I'd rather they spend their money on pretty much anything else compared with graphics and character model fidelity. Don't get me wrong. When a game has awesome graphics, I welcome that and love it. There's a comment I made in another thread about realism in my RPGs. I love my RPGs to have as much realism as is possible, and the close-ups of character models showing very high levels of realism and detail is fantastic. But if I'm faced with (budget) trade-offs, I'm happy to sacrifice graphics over such things as story, character development, branching dialogue, interesting quests, etc.

Oh, certainly. My number 1 hope for their next game (not sure if it's feasible for Solasta) is more story focus. Like I've mentioned in some other post, Solasta baffles me since it's combat-driven, custom party and turn-based, and I dislike/hate those in cRPGs. And yet I find myself drawn to Solasta, I've already bought it, support pack included. Holding off until I play IWD so I can compare them.

addict
addict

Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Well, I'd like to know, apart from increased range, what advantage does the high-ground give to archers in real life ? Otherwise said, what does this mechanism aim to capture ? I don't see.

My dude.
I dont know what to tell you, maybe we ought to turn it into one of those little maths diagrams for high school.

Well, I still don't see, so if it's obvious to you, I'm happy to hear an explanation. I don't know how adding pictures in the forum posts work, but if you can give me a couple of pointers in word form, that could be a start.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
It's a nigh-universal sentiment that saying "I told you so" and gloating when you're right is crass, and not a good look for anyone. I agree with that thought, as it really is very obnoxious.

But...

In this case, I am perfectly willing to be obnoxious.

I told you! Look at this update, look at how many things they changed DIRECTLY from our feedback! All you jokers that kept saying "oh they don't care about our feedback, oh they're not gonna change anything, oh Larian doesn't give a crap about us", how does it feel to be profoundly wrong? They ARE listening, they DO care. I told you yahoos to just be patient, and now I'm just over here swimming in my fundamental rightness like Scrooge McDuck through his pool full of gold.

Also, thanks Larian! You guys are awesome.

Yep I always had faith they would listen and change things for the better. Now if they would fix Arcane Ward to be more like 5e. And add reaction spells like Shield, other Abjuration spells like Arcane Lock, then I could finally play an Abjurer, I'd be overjoyed.

Last edited by Merlex; 07/12/20 08:41 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard