Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Originally Posted by Sordak

Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Well, I'd like to know, apart from increased range, what advantage does the high-ground give to archers in real life ? Otherwise said, what does this mechanism aim to capture ? I don't see.

My dude.
I dont know what to tell you, maybe we ought to turn it into one of those little maths diagrams for high school.

Well, I still don't see, so if it's obvious to you, I'm happy to hear an explanation. I don't know how adding pictures in the forum posts work, but if you can give me a couple of pointers in word form, that could be a start.

In real life, firing from elevation gives you increased range and makes it less likely that your target will be obscured because they are behind something or prone. It also makes you harder to reach if somebody decides to rush your position. Other than that, there really isn’t any specific advantage to firing down at a target that I can think of.

Originally Posted by Warlocke

In real life, firing from elevation gives you increased range and makes it less likely that your target will be obscured because they are behind something or prone. It also makes you harder to reach if somebody decides to rush your position. Other than that, there really isn’t any specific advantage to firing down at a target that I can think of.

While true, it can also make your target harder to hit as the angle steepens. Think about shooting almost directly down at someone, your target area is much smaller. Here is a super fast and not to scale example, but it should get the idea across. The red area is your target, which is a lot smaller when looking down on someone.
[Linked Image]

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
You know what I've not seen in a video game for a long time? Woodcuts. Find an artist who does electronic wood portraits.

I believe there is currently a shortage of electronic wood.

Oh damn! Sadurian made a joke!

This is a rare event.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Solasta baffles me since it's combat-driven, custom party and turn-based, and I dislike/hate those in cRPGs. And yet I find myself drawn to Solasta, I've already bought it, support pack included. Holding off until I play IWD so I can compare them.

All of this is exactly me as well. In my case I mentioned to the TA devs during their KS campaign (which I modestly backed) I'm doing so despite the many reasons I have to dislike their game (the three you mention being at the top of my list as well) because I want to support a new studio making cRPGs in the hope that their future games will be more to my liking. So supporting Solasta is a one-time thing for me.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Solasta baffles me since it's combat-driven, custom party and turn-based, and I dislike/hate those in cRPGs. And yet I find myself drawn to Solasta, I've already bought it, support pack included. Holding off until I play IWD so I can compare them.

All of this is exactly me as well. In my case I mentioned to the TA devs during their KS campaign (which I modestly backed) I'm doing so despite the many reasons I have to dislike their game (the three you mention being at the top of my list as well) because I want to support a new studio making cRPGs in the hope that their future games will be more to my liking. So supporting Solasta is a one-time thing for me.

I just saw you on their forums. wink

I really hope they succeed. Even if I end up not liking the game very much (for the above reasons), I think they can offer a lot to the genre, if other devs decide to incorporate those good things into their games. *coughLariancough*

Off the top of my head...

The map. It's amazing. This is exactly what I wanted to suggest for BG3 a long time ago. It would work very well with the focus on verticality. And it looks so nice!

The party and personality system. Ok, I'm not a fan of custom parties and no set companions. But I really like this system of the party coming alive through personality flags. As far as I can tell it's quite crude and limited in Solasta, but I hope this evolves, be it in the next TA game or some other RPG. I'd love a similar system implemented in BG3 for non-protagonist custom party members (artificial companions with personality). Unlikely of course, but hey, one can dream. (As I'm more and more seriously considering a custom party...)

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The Solasta map is awesome.

veteran
veteran

Ahaha, ninjad!

This is an interesting idea, actually; do you happen to have a link for (spoiler-free) PoE example?

Beautiful stylized drawn art could work really well, especially if they weave it into the UI and loading screens and the like. I'm not a fan of Inquisition, but its stylized tarot art was amazing. (I think it started with DA2, actually.) And I don't think it would be... prohibitively expensive?

smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6R4xDm4580

Using art for the close up screens. *spoilers* for PoE1 expansion.

On woodcuts:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F23Dk1I-i...3A/s1600/Frankreich.Nuremberg.f_283r.jpg

https://d2mpxrrcad19ou.cloudfront.net/item_images/983838/10935895_fullsize.jpg

I believe there is currently a shortage of electronic wood.

*breathe in* breathe out* I am not going to make a dick joke. I am in control of my inner 14 year old, they are not in control of me. I chose how I reply. *breathe in* *breath out*

addict
addict
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

Ahaha, ninjad!

This is an interesting idea, actually; do you happen to have a link for (spoiler-free) PoE example?

Beautiful stylized drawn art could work really well, especially if they weave it into the UI and loading screens and the like. I'm not a fan of Inquisition, but its stylized tarot art was amazing. (I think it started with DA2, actually.) And I don't think it would be... prohibitively expensive?

smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6R4xDm4580

Using art for the close up screens. *spoilers* for PoE1 expansion.

On woodcuts:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F23Dk1I-i...3A/s1600/Frankreich.Nuremberg.f_283r.jpg

https://d2mpxrrcad19ou.cloudfront.net/item_images/983838/10935895_fullsize.jpg

Ah, thanks. I've taken a look at the PoE example, it does look quite nice.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard