Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
This is the product of listening to consumers who are convinced that they know best and giving into silly demands to placate them.

There were way too many young entitled guys who were salty that their only female romance options were pragmatic, dutiful, and not "traditionally attractive" Lae'zel and standoffish snarky Shadowheart.
They attacked the forums in droves because it messed with their fantasy that all women should act vulnerable and do everything within their power to be as appealing to men as possible.
What we have now are watered down and confused followers who constantly feel like they're holding something back and pitying you because they're doing their best to be kind.
It comes off as condescending and inconsistent. Shadowheart in particular went from being stoic to acting like middle school girls in the 90's who modeled themselves after the witches in "The Craft."

But hey, at least a pile of young adult males who have 4 Charisma in real life can now romance the more-tolerant woman of their dreams!

Is it fair to say we're just swapping one fetish for another? Hard to get goth girl vs. compliant trad wife. Difficult to avoid that in a voyeuristic game with animated sex "rewards," I suppose.

I definitely agree with the first sentence - I wish it were otherwise, but it's rarely ever the case that implementing a client's/public's feedback on something complicated like a character will fix that nagging sense that it isn't quite good enough. But as has been mentioned, committing to VO too early makes it costly to make anything but surface changes. I'm hoping it's one of those things that matters less and less as the game becomes more polished. It's the only real way "out," imo, that doesn't include new writers coming in.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Why isnt it okay for a few of the companions to be less agreeable than the rest? Laelzel maybe was a bit too much but there was no reason to change shadowheart.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by charlarn
Why isnt it okay for a few of the companions to be less agreeable than the rest? Laelzel maybe was a bit too much but there was no reason to change shadowheart.
None of this would have been nescessary if they had added Karlach, Minsc or Helia to EA. Can't wait for the demands to make those less "nice" in comparison.

veteran
veteran
I haven't reach the new character segment yet but I'm really dreading that. I hope that in the worst case scenario we will be able to remove these new additions with mods

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Banned
Banned
This is the product of listening to consumers who are convinced that they know best and giving into silly demands to placate them.

There were way too many young entitled guys who were salty that their only female romance options were pragmatic, dutiful, and not "traditionally attractive" Lae'zel and standoffish snarky Shadowheart.
They attacked the forums in droves because it messed with their fantasy that all women should act vulnerable and do everything within their power to be as appealing to men as possible.
What we have now are watered down and confused followers who constantly feel like they're holding something back and pitying you because they're doing their best to be kind.
It comes off as condescending and inconsistent. Shadowheart in particular went from being stoic to acting like middle school girls in the 90's who modeled themselves after the witches in "The Craft."

But hey, at least a pile of young adult males who have 4 Charisma in real life can now romance the more-tolerant woman of their dreams!

I disagree, I'm pretty sure that it was mostly female gamers complaining about Shadowheart.
Male players were very happy with how standoffish and secretive Shadowheart is (she is obviously this way because she IS vulnerable). Also she has a bit of a goth aesthetic going and we guys really like that, but way to condemn half of humanity to make yourself feel better. I mean obviously Larian should listen to you and condemn the vast majority of it's own playerbase (males with 4 charisma who love videogames).
Oh and her instant dislike of Laezel was great, I wish more characters refused to entertain each other, or even duke it out and fight to the death (BG2 style)

Last edited by Eldath; 04/12/20 12:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eldath

I disagree, I'm pretty sure that it was mostly female gamers complaining about Shadowheart.
Male players were very happy with how standoffish and secretive Shadowheart is (she is obviously this way because she IS vulnerable). Also she has a bit of a goth aesthetic going and we guys really like that, but way to condemn half of humanity to make yourself feel better. I mean obviously Larian should listen to you and condemn the vast majority of it's own playerbase (males with 4 charisma who love videogames).
Oh and her instant dislike of Laezel was great, I wish more characters refused to entertain each other, or even duke it out and fight to the death (BG2 style)

It's not about listening to anyone. It's about being faithful to the character you created. If they want to change shadowheart because she is a bad character they should change her. But don't do these half assed changes that perhaps make some players happy but make the character inconsistent and worse writing wise.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Abits

It's not about listening to anyone. It's about being faithful to the character you created. If they want to change shadowheart because she is a bad character they should change her. But don't do these half assed changes that perhaps make some players happy but make the character inconsistent and worse writing wise.

+1

Banned
Banned
Yeah but the point is that Shadowheart was fine as she was pretty much, and blaming this change on males who dislike women is dumb and wrong.
I mean maybe you would have a point with Laezel, but honestly you can just murder her at so many points in the game that I don't see why people would want her changed instead of just killing her like I did? Also the game does give you the option to kill off your companions either directly or indirectly so I see no reason for rewriting them.

veteran
veteran
Then what are you arguing about?

B
B
I don't mind much that the companions are unpleasant and reserved at the start, as long as they potentially evolve to open up and be more favorable to you (based on your actions and Approval). Realistic and durable character evolution is always one of the most satisfying aspects of companions in RPGs, and few of them get it right. I hope Larian does!

veteran
veteran
To be honest, I'm after the blighted village and did most of the things you can do in the game up to this point, and I didn't notice much difference...

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Group of folks of varying backgrounds, loyalties and goals must all be kind to each other even though none of them would associate with each other were it not for the existence a life ending tadpole in their heads, sounds like reddit stuff. Granted I still have to run through this new patch but them being nicer just sounds dumb.

Last edited by FelLich; 04/12/20 06:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm not playing the EA myself, but from what I got out of the Update and Swen's presentation the main thing they toned down was the companions constantly having a (mostly negative) reaction to EVERYTHING the PC says/does, including even when they're not physically there when the PC said/did something. Seems eminently reasonable. Someone can be as dour or sullen as they want to be and yet make a choice that they're not going to respond to every single thing the leader of their group says/does that they dislike. This is what is actually normal behavior.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by dotmats

Is it fair to say we're just swapping one fetish for another? Hard to get goth girl vs. compliant trad wife. Difficult to avoid that in a voyeuristic game with animated sex "rewards," I suppose.

I definitely agree with the first sentence - I wish it were otherwise, but it's rarely ever the case that implementing a client's/public's feedback on something complicated like a character will fix that nagging sense that it isn't quite good enough. But as has been mentioned, committing to VO too early makes it costly to make anything but surface changes. I'm hoping it's one of those things that matters less and less as the game becomes more polished. It's the only real way "out," imo, that doesn't include new writers coming in.

I look at it as more "everyday women with a variety of emotions who aren't here to serve you or entertain you" vs. "guaranteed to be Rule 34 fetishbait for people who haven't felt the warmth of another human in a long time."
I feel as though being dismissive and confrontational in a situation like this is a far more plausible reaction to the standard "save the princess, woe is me for I am frail" bullshit.
But I don't really have a dog in this race because I'm not interested in women anyway, nor am I particularly invested in video game romances in general.

I will say that post-patch Shadowheart feels "weaker" to me. She's lost her iron will and headstrong determination in how she interacts with me, and I liked how walled-off she was before.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

addict
addict

Were we looking at the same forums just after release?
There were no less than about 20-30 posts from males complaining that Shadowheart wasn't agreeable enough, going so far as to call her an icy bitch just because she didn't bend over backwards to soothe their fragile egos.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bittereinder
I don't mind much that the companions are unpleasant and reserved at the start, as long as they potentially evolve to open up and be more favorable to you (based on your actions and Approval). Realistic and durable character evolution is always one of the most satisfying aspects of companions in RPGs, and few of them get it right. I hope Larian does!

I feel as though Larian had it right before the patch, with Shadowheart anyway. She starts off as a wall and then eventually opens up, but never really loses that edge.
Now it feels like she's gritting her teeth through her smile and pitying you instead of being genuinely open about her reservations.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I'm not playing the EA myself, but from what I got out of the Update and Swen's presentation the main thing they toned down was the companions constantly having a (mostly negative) reaction to EVERYTHING the PC says/does, including even when they're not physically there when the PC said/did something. Seems eminently reasonable. Someone can be as dour or sullen as they want to be and yet make a choice that they're not going to respond to every single thing the leader of their group says/does that they dislike. This is what is actually normal behavior.

If it is merely this I'm fully on board

enthusiast
enthusiast

I feel as though Larian had it right before the patch, with Shadowheart anyway. She starts off as a wall and then eventually opens up, but never really loses that edge.
Now it feels like she's gritting her teeth through her smile and pitying you instead of being genuinely open about her reservations.

She was like a breath of fresh air in comparison with insipid male options. I don't understand why they leveled SH down instead of making others interesting enough.

Last edited by Verte; 04/12/20 09:19 PM.
veteran
veteran

This. I thought SH was good nod to Viconia -- Classic Tsundere relationship. Now that Shadowheart is soft and goey from the start I'm less interested.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sestuna
I appreciate that they added better dialog between characters and the followers arent as snarky anymore.

But this came at a cost you can VERY EASILY see which dialog is from the "last patch" and this "new patch"

Because the dialog wasnt all recorded at the same time you can tell that the actors just forgot how they were acting during the first set of takes. Its so jarring. Maybe on the first take they were feeling a certain way but now on second take it totally feels like a new recording session.

Not sure what the fix here is but at the moment it all feels like a patch work of different recording sessions put together and it feels all over the place.

Good, what people get for throwing a fit about nothing at all. Hope it stays that way, shows what happens when a company caves in to appease the masses over nothing.

Last edited by fallenj; 04/12/20 10:01 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard