Page 1 of 2 1 2
#741185 03/12/20 07:14 PM
W
wtrboy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Camping is simply too easy; I can be walking through the underdark and with a mouse click be magically transported to camp... and back to the underdark...really breaks the immersion and makes the game too easy. Please find a way to make camping more realistic and integrated with the gameplay.

Thank you,

A
stranger
stranger
A
Too easy?
So you like walking simulators? You want to spend 10 minutes walking just to get to camp, and another 10 minutes to get back where you were?

Absolutely no game does what you are suggesting. Any game with huge maps give the choice for speed travel, so you can focus on the game itself and not walking around.

Besides that, like many people that complain about this kind of "issue" in Skyrim, and other games, you can simply not use it and play the way you think it is appropriate for you.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Aramil Nailo
Too easy?
So you like walking simulators? You want to spend 10 minutes walking just to get to camp, and another 10 minutes to get back where you were?

Absolutely no game does what you are suggesting. Any game with huge maps give the choice for speed travel, so you can focus on the game itself and not walking around.

Besides that, like many people that complain about this kind of "issue" in Skyrim, and other games, you can simply not use it and play the way you think it is appropriate for you.

First, I am quite certain a majority here all realise that a solution will be needed for the Long Rest at will situation.

1) The OP did NOT at all propose an absence of fast travel nor a specific solution that requires walking back and forth 20 minutes.

2) "Absolutely no game does what you are suggesting." Absolutely false. Many CRPGs make you travel across both large maps and local maps. BG2 comes to mind, along with long series of similar D&D games, but also Pathfinder: Kingmaker (you can build a few rare teleporters, but you still have a good distance of travel between locations), Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Solasta, etc. What CRPGs are you talking about to make such an absolute claim of absolute truth? Yeah, Skyrim and MMORPGs almost always have fast travel and you do not need to rest for a night.

AGAIN, the solution to the Long Rest at will does not need to be walking non stop, but Long Rest has to be somehow moderated or limited between fights and areas. In a few games I named here, they use camping supplies as the method. Others force you to find an inn or one of the camping spots.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Aramil Nailo
Too easy?

Agree 100%

Originally Posted by Baraz
First, I am quite certain a majority here all realise that a solution will be needed for the Long Rest at will situation.

Disagree 100%

Agree with OP. At this point they might as well just full heal your party and reset all your spell slots every time you've been out of combat for 1 minute.

Why make a game based on D&D, that uses the resources of D&D (spell slots, short rest actions, long rest actions) but completely invalidate the resource management part?

veteran
veteran
I believe this is an issue related to the lack of a proper day-night cycle, and related consequences.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
It could be cool if an area such as the under dark or a dungeon could have a threatened area mechanic, that forces the party to make a stealth check upon long resting within the threatened area.

Originally Posted by wtrboy
Camping is simply too easy; I can be walking through the underdark and with a mouse click be magically transported to camp... and back to the underdark...really breaks the immersion and makes the game too easy. Please find a way to make camping more realistic and integrated with the gameplay.

Thank you,

Ahh yes, as opposed to the ultra hard mode of sitting in a rope trick...

Camping is fine. The challenge shouldnt be walking back through cleared areas.

E
addict
addict
E
I brought up this issue in the feedback I sent to Larian, not so much that I found the camping mechanic too easy but that it is just so utterly immersion breaking. Are we still going to have to magically port back to base camp in Act 1 when we decide to rest in other locations in later acts?

I much preferred the mechanic from BG1 & 2 where you had to find a safe space to rest in your current location and risk the potential dangers of doing so. Each to their own though and I can understand why some people aren't bothered with the camping setup as is. For me, I like to immerse myself deeply in these types of games and although full of fantastical creatures and magic, it also needs a dose of reality to keep me grounded, to create a palpable sense of going on an adventure.

To touch on what someone mentioned here and to take it further, I think a day/night/weather cycle is a necessity to create a living world to adventure through. The current permanent sunlit lands are a real turn off for me. Why is the party not allowed to travel at night and rest by day if they choose to do so? How crazy is it to rob (pun intended) a rogue of sneaking around at night?

Only my opinions of course.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
If you're wandering around outside and decide to take a long rest at camp, I have no problem fast traveling there. Essentially, there is a waypoint in camp. Yes, I suppose they could show it.

One possible solution is you can only fast travel from one waypoint to another; you have to be in front of one for it to work. This could be the only time you can go to camp and long rest. That would be pretty easy to implement.

When I was in the hag lair, if I tried to go to camp I got a message that I couldn't leave from a dangerous area (I forget the exact words, but something to that effect.) I think this is a good way to help address the issue; traveling to camp should be off limits from more areas, forcing you to resolve situations before you can go to camp.

If your in the goblin camp, and have started killing their leaders (and possibly anyone else you can) I think it's broken to be able to take a long rest every encounter or two. That's a case where you should be prohibited from leaving unless you do it on foot, or through the waypoint. For example, if you leave after killing Gut, then come back, maybe you get a hostile reception when you return. Or security is way higher. Or there are more enemies you have to fight. You shouldn't pick back up exactly where you were with nothing changing after being gone 8 hours.

Ultimately, the 'long rest at will' mechanic of BG3 breaks too many things in 5E. I think they do need to address it.

addict
addict
I'm just confused as to how endless feedback poured in about the rest system in general, and how short rests are pointless when you can endlessly abuse long rests, and the ultimate solution after months of complaints were to give us two short rests. That decision very much feels like a massive corporation cracking open their dusty employee suggestion box twice a year, and it's packed to the brim with legitimate concerns and suggestions that are easy to implement, and corporate's response to all of it is to add another K-Cup flavor into the rotation. Like having the option for a "Sumatra Breakfast Blend" really addresses the fact that Todd from IT is repeatedly caught in the women's bathroom.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by wtrboy

Thank you,

A system like DA:I would have made more sense where you have several different camp locations on the map that you have to discover. Then we could have a camp in the Underdark. It is rather immersion breaking, especially for my Drow characters to go back to the surface just to camp.

G
stranger
stranger
G
When we play DND the party is camping anywhere (it would not make sense to sleep only in one location and travel there). But camping is- with possibility to be ambushed... It would be nice to temporary camp in cave - for example where fireplace is, but it would be more risky then sleeping in primary camp... and add random encounters or events for night, select party member to be on watch, etc

M
M
Im sure they will tweak long rest/camping in one of the upcoming patches (maybe they dont do it at this point as that would mean less feedback on camp interactions/events?), the issue is that rests are basically the heart of dnd rules, those rules are built around resource management. Health regeneration and refilling resources are tied to the rest system. Im okay to have a Story mode for the game where you can endlessly rest (as i understand some people just want to enjoy the story interactions) but i would prefer myself to have a more challenging/tactical mode which doesnt allow you to do that any time (also restrict fast travelling somewhat) and that makes it feel rewarding when im able to camp and im saying to team good job everybody we survived!
Just my 2 cents

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I'm just confused as to how endless feedback poured in about the rest system in general, and how short rests are pointless when you can endlessly abuse long rests, and the ultimate solution after months of complaints were to give us two short rests. That decision very much feels like a massive corporation cracking open their dusty employee suggestion box twice a year, and it's packed to the brim with legitimate concerns and suggestions that are easy to implement, and corporate's response to all of it is to add another K-Cup flavor into the rotation. Like having the option for a "Sumatra Breakfast Blend" really addresses the fact that Todd from IT is repeatedly caught in the women's bathroom.

I love your example in spite of disagreeing with you.
1) You can use the system however you want. You can choose how often to rest. Others can choose differently. When I play, I have certain rules I follow like no barrelmancy even though I could. Think the rest system is too permissible? Clamp it down in your rules.
2) Keep in mind combat in CRPG is different from PnP. In PnP, Wizards have way more utility and creative choices. Limit their rest too much in CRPGs and they become ineffective. It's not apples to apples.

veteran
veteran
I think the biggest problem at the moment is:

Many scenes and companion quests only progress when you rest.
So the game does not only allow you to rest anytime without any danger or downsides,
it also punishes you for not resting often so you miss content if you do not rest after every battle.

Short rests are pointless when you can sleep after every fight without problems.

The best suggestion I have seen so far is using the TW3 model.
You have to walk to a fast travel point and from there you can teleport to any other fast travel point you have already discovered.
The camp would be a fast travel point too.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Madscientist
You have to walk to a fast travel point and from there you can teleport to any other fast travel point you have already discovered.
The camp would be a fast travel point too.

So adopt that rule when you play and don't ruin the game for the rest after every battle crowd.

addict
addict
camping is just too sexy

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
camping is just too sexy

We Demand More Sexy Cam-

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! This meme has been interrupted by...

...oh no, I am become all monsters

veteran
veteran
Whoever wants to rest after every fight actually wants a game where you are always at full health and resources at the beginning of every fight.

D&D is not that game.

If you start balancing classes on a per encounter basis, you have to start re-balancing all the classes and their abilities next. Just wait until you have an 11th level Wizard who can empty every single spell slot in every fight. Spells are powerful in D&D only because they are a finite resource. Wizards are fun because they get power spikes with powerful spells. Take that away and they start to play like boring casters in a grindy MMO.

When you rest after every fight, don't you find it tedious that you have to do all those clicks when it's really just an automated chore? Wouldn't you just want it to happen automatically like in Dragon Age Origins? Right now it's a poor system for everyone.

Since this is a D&D game, the only real option is to embrace the system and make the most of it. That includes creating a meaningful resting system where long rest is not just a tedious click fest after every fight.

I'd like to see....

- Local long rest spots. I want to rest in a ruined house in the Blighted Village or in the raided Deep Gnome village in the Underdark. Or set up a camp. To get that feel of adventure. Always going back to home camp feels like you just went to work for the day. Hardly exciting. I go back and forth between work and home enough in real life.

- Random encounters. I want dangerous areas to feel dangerous. If you're scared, scurry out and back to base camp.

- "no long rest" or rather "no fast travel" -zones, when you are cut off or in a hazardous location

- perhaps a supply / resource cost attached to long rests so you at least feel rewarded when you don't rest after every fight

Last edited by 1varangian; 04/12/20 04:02 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard