Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Phea Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I was wondering if "Lolth's cleric" option during character creation shouldn't be possible only for female drows. It's weird I can create a male high elf who can worship her. Or maybe there are infos from the D&D lore I don't know about and it really is possible?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Well, it's seems it's possible in Larian's interpretation of it, because:

The spider matriach who is worshipping Lloth so much that despite being rejected by the drow as a high elf managed to become a servant of the goddess through a ritual.

Banned
Banned
I don't think we should curtail freedom of religion for custom characters smile
Also I'm pretty sure Lolth would accept worship from almost any creature because she is a vain and poor, and beggars can't really be choosers. It's not like she is consistent or reliable about anything, so I would totally see her accepting some rando as long as she considers it amusing.

Phea Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm not sure, in all texts I've red about her she is specifically tied to drows - they've became drows because of her after all. Plus she hates surface elves and drows kill them for her, so I can't imagine her accepting any "normal" elf. Maybe she could use a surface elf, but accept any of her ex-husband "children" as her own? Never :P

Last edited by Phea; 04/12/20 12:14 PM.
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Phea
I'm not sure, in all texts I've red about her she is specifically tied to drows - they've became drows because of her after all. Plus she hates surface elves and drows kill them for her, so I can't imagine her accepting any "normal" elf. Maybe she could use a surface elf, but accept any of her ex-husband "children" as her own? Never :P

Your problem is that you expect consistency and logic from a chaotic evil goddess who is also a narcissist.

Phea Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have no problem -___- I just know more or less a part of Faerun mythology and I know very well she may be chaotic, but it's certain she hates surface elves like hell. She and her beloved dark elves may be chaotic but for some reason the capital of her cult - Menzoberranzan - exists for centuries, house Baenre is still the first house and the society's structure is still the same. The very fact we can call it "society" and it doesn't fall apart is weird and not very chaotic if you ask me.

Last edited by Phea; 04/12/20 12:38 PM.
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Phea
I have no problem -___- I just know more or less a part of Faerun mythology and I know very well she may be chaotic, but it's certain she hates surface elves like hell. She and her beloved dark elves may be chaotic but for some reason the capital of her cult - Menzoberranzan - exists for centuries, house Baenre is still the first house and the society's structure is still the same. The very fact we can call it "society" and it doesn't fall apart is weird and not very chaotic if you ask me.

Oh I understand where you're coming from, but the way I see it, Lolth really hates everybody, it's not just surface elves, but the drow themselves too. She uses everyone like playthings and tools to further her goals. Now don't get me wrong, I kinda like her whole evil goddess vibe, but she is really not too big on consistency and keeping her word. A surface elf worshipping her is certainly uncommon, but I would never rule it out with Lolth because she was always willing to explore new territory to further her own influence. What Lolth wants over all is sticking it to Corellon and if she can corrupt some surface elves to her own ways she will be happy to do it because that will annoy her ex husbando

Last edited by Eldath; 04/12/20 12:44 PM.
Not an expert on the subject, but there is definitely a male drow cleric of Lloth in R.A Salvatore's books who
heals Regis (a halfling protagonist) on the order of Jarlaxle. And then later heals Drizzt (again from Jarlaxle).
I expect that Lloth's chaotic bent is more prominent than any hate for surface elves.

"Someone else might make a character I don't approve of but will never know about or interact with".

Phea Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg
"Someone else might make a character I don't approve of but will never know about or interact with".

Let's be clear: I just wanted to discuss nerd things -____- I don't care what character you want to create, for me you can even play a cyborg with laser guns in Faerun. I just think it's inconsistent with D&D lore and it feels weird for someone who was always interested in Faerun drows but I guess it's impossible to discuss anything without being accused of "not approving someone else's ideas".

Thank you Nezix for your answer! I wonder if there is any non-drow Lolth's cleric in the lore, because in my copy of "Faiths and Pantheons" it's said only women drows can be her priestesses. I mean playable races because chitine and arena can become her priestesses too. But some reddit and other forum discussions suggest Lolth wouldn't grant powers to any human, surface elf etc.

EDIT: This is what 2ed and 3ed say apparently:

Demihuman Deities (2E), p. 31:

"The clergy of Lolth includes dark elves (94%) and chitines (6%). Of the dark elves, 96% are female; there are male priests of Lolth (4%), but the Spider Queen very rarely allows them to rise above 7th level of experience."

3E "Faiths and Pantheons", p. 40:

"Clerics of Lolth pray for spells after waking from trance or before retiring to trance. They are always female."

Last edited by Phea; 04/12/20 06:30 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard