Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
E
Originally Posted by Maerd
Origin characters are interesting, generally better written, and fun to play. Therefore, I suggest we just scrap OP's opinion instead.

The reason origin characters are "generally better written" is that they put more effort in them. I think that the OP thinks that the work on origin characters is not finished and that if they keep prioritizing them, custom characters would be indeed worse written. Which won't be a problem if they have said so from the begining. That way, we would have known what to expect.

Now, this is EA and things aren't set in stone. They have time to put work on custom characters and level them to the same standard they want for the origins. And that might mean 5 origins instead of 10 (numbers aren't real. I've heard they would be 8
and that one of them would be Minsc
). The thing is, the OP said somethings that could be implemented for custom characters. Like using story/background labels to round up custom characters.

Zellin offered a few nice suggestions to improve custom characters. There's plenty they can do to improve them. But since resources are limited, if they only focus con Origin characters and on selling us that, well, we would get origin characters and for those who don't like to play as origins but were told that we won't have subpar experience by playing custom characters it would be disappointing. And considering that they specifically said that it won't be like DOS2 and that custom characters would be as good as origins gamewise, I would say that there is a significant amount of consumers that simply don't like origins. Otherwise they would simply promote origin characters set in stone and won't even allow custom characters. Money from the people who doesn't like origins also finance the game. Yet, significant less resources are dedicated to custom characters. Or so it seems at this point.

And no, having Minsc as one of the origins doesn't make it baldur's gate.
They could have just used the "forgotten realms" brand if it wasn't to be a BG successor and they wanted a DoS3 instead but in the forgotten realms. They would have sold anyway and no one would have got false expectations.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Seriously. Scrap gnomes, does anyone actually play them? Instead of gnomes concentrate on something players ACTUALLY like: elf subraces.

Finally, we get an unequivocally RIGHT suggestion. This deserves a consulting fee paid by Larian, that's how fundamentally correct it is. Some unfortunate people will say, "but I like playing gnomes", but this is, sadly, just Stockholm Syndrome brought about by those irresponsible creators who have been violently foisting gnome-related content upon us all for so long. Rise up! Cast off the chains of the gnomocracy! We shall be free!

As to the topic, I think the origins are a good thing. I may or may not play one, but I know that lots of other people WILL play one. Maybe not many of the Very Small Group of players that post on forums, that specific niche group of hardcore RPGers who care more than is healthy about the minutiae of RPG design, will use this feature. But definitely plenty of the Very Large Group of general/casual gamers who make up the bulk of the customer base (and never read or post on forums or subreddits for the game) will.

But I've noticed that most people around here tend to forget that the Very Large Group exists, or perhaps they just don't matter? Despite the fact that it's their money which mostly funds the existence of these games. Even if 9 out of 10 people here agree on something, that's still peanuts compared to the whole audience of the game. And what WE want, we weirdos, we D&D nerds, we crazy obsessives, we highly opinionated niche fans, is not necessarily (and is often the opposite of) what the Very Large Group enjoys. For every one person here who hates barrelmancy, there are 100+ people who think that shit is hilarious, fun, and/or awesome.

Even when making their own character, a large percentage of general/casual gamers out there don't even customize things like skills, stats, or spell selections. They just take the defaults. They just pick a race and class, set up their appearance, and call it a day. They don't know what that other stuff means, or does, and they don't really care. They just want to get in and play.

Maybe don't demand that people speak for everybody else's opinion rather than their own. People can only give their own feedback.

The preponderance of Tavs show that a lot of people don't even care to NAME their character.

I would hazard a guess that more than anything else this speaks of the awkward positioning of the name field in the UI.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
A
addict
addict
A
Seriously. Scrap gnomes, does anyone actually play them? Instead of gnomes concentrate on something players ACTUALLY like: elf subraces.

Yep, I like and play gnomes. The cleric/illusionist in BG was my favourite (despite the fact that the devs made them look like Gorion's grandpa).

My current plan for BG3 is a gnomish sorceress (or illusionist wizard maybe), named Josephine Jansen.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dexai

Finally, we get an unequivocally RIGHT suggestion. This deserves a consulting fee paid by Larian, that's how fundamentally correct it is. Some unfortunate people will say, "but I like playing gnomes", but this is, sadly, just Stockholm Syndrome brought about by those irresponsible creators who have been violently foisting gnome-related content upon us all for so long. Rise up! Cast off the chains of the gnomocracy! We shall be free!

As to the topic, I think the origins are a good thing. I may or may not play one, but I know that lots of other people WILL play one. Maybe not many of the Very Small Group of players that post on forums, that specific niche group of hardcore RPGers who care more than is healthy about the minutiae of RPG design, will use this feature. But definitely plenty of the Very Large Group of general/casual gamers who make up the bulk of the customer base (and never read or post on forums or subreddits for the game) will.

But I've noticed that most people around here tend to forget that the Very Large Group exists, or perhaps they just don't matter? Despite the fact that it's their money which mostly funds the existence of these games. Even if 9 out of 10 people here agree on something, that's still peanuts compared to the whole audience of the game. And what WE want, we weirdos, we D&D nerds, we crazy obsessives, we highly opinionated niche fans, is not necessarily (and is often the opposite of) what the Very Large Group enjoys. For every one person here who hates barrelmancy, there are 100+ people who think that shit is hilarious, fun, and/or awesome.

Even when making their own character, a large percentage of general/casual gamers out there don't even customize things like skills, stats, or spell selections. They just take the defaults. They just pick a race and class, set up their appearance, and call it a day. They don't know what that other stuff means, or does, and they don't really care. They just want to get in and play.

Maybe don't demand that people speak for everybody else's opinion rather than their own. People can only give their own feedback.

The preponderance of Tavs show that a lot of people don't even care to NAME their character.

I would hazard a guess that more than anything else this speaks of the awkward positioning of the name field in the UI.

Really coming after me today, eh Dexai? That's fine, I know that I have a tendency to rile people up with some of my posts.

If you could just show me where in my post I demanded something, that would be great. I can't find it.

And of course people should give their own feedback, and express their personal desires for the game. I mean, that's what this place is for, right? As I've said about 500 other times on various threads, it's not the opinion I object to, it's the manner of argument about it.

If someone says, "Hey I think the game would be a lot more fun if they get rid of origin characters!" I'm not going to argue with that. I mean, I might express my own, contrary, opinion, but I'm not going to try to take their post apart like I sometimes do.

Mostly I get a bee in my bonnet over hyperbole and statements of This Is Absolutely So about things which are, fundamentally, matters of opinion. I try to remind people that there is, in fact, more than one way to think about these topics. So when people say things like "this is a USELESS feature" or "this is a WASTE of developers' time" or "this doesn't matter at all" or "there's NO reason to add that" or "romances add NOTHING to the game" or "this isn't D&D at all" or "this is just Divinity 3" or "this has NOTHING to do with Baldur's Gate" or the like, I think, "Huh, that's pretty absolutist. This person thinks that their personal perspective and/or desire on this matter is the One True Way. They are, through their very hyperbolic phrasing, essentially declaring that everyone who thinks otherwise either doesn't exist, or doesn't matter. I don't like that."

Basically, not everything is for you. (By you, I mean, myself and everyone else here.) Some things are for other people, and some of those other people aren't even speaking up about it. Something which is for other people is not useless, it's just not for you.

Oh, but I think you're right about the name thing.

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 06/12/20 01:40 PM.
G
guy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by EMC_V

And it is selfish to expect people who don't like origins to just put up with a subpar plot and less options.

The op is advocating for removing already existing content in one area because they feel that content in another related area is sub-par in comparison. it feels petty and punitive. I am saying keep that content, do not remove it. I find it hard to see what is selfish about not wanting roleplaying things removed from the game that already exist and money has already been spent on. This is not a zero sum thing: removing origins will not magically make custom "better", though for some reason people seem to think that is how it would work. As verte says, don't remove the origins, bring the custom up to standard and use the level of detail put into the origins as a benchmark which you can then point to and say: we want this level of effort for custom pcs too.

Actually. I can +1 this

You are right about the time and money they put into origins. I get it.

It is my strong feeling that the vast majority of BG3 players are players from the original BG series, from the neverwinter series (and WOW, that games went STRONG for a LONG time because of all the online and mod support!) and the icewind dale series.
The biggest point for that is... that generation is more than 20 years old at this point.

Then the other, newer, smaller percent, I feel, is from the divinity or dragon age or witcher crowd.... which is actually at least 2 generations removed.

I have dealt with this with final fanasty 6 and final fanasty 7. FF6 is, hands down the best one ever made. But most players can not get past the 32 bit graphic design and won't play the game. While FF& is good, FF6, in my opinion, is better, and newer players simply will not experience because they won't play it for the graphics.

Maybe most will hate this idea, but put origins on the back burner, and sell it as DLC - not as one of the main features of the game.

However, the core assestment of bring the custo up to standards is completely 100% on point - if the custom content is on par, then I have nothing to say about origins.

Last edited by guy; 06/12/20 01:58 PM.
Some Numbers.

Divinity Original Sin (Did not have origin stories):
14,480 votes. Summary: Very Positive

Divinity Original Sin 2 (Had origin stories):
94,503 votes. Summary: Overwhelmingly Positive

The trend seems to indicate people like origin stories just fine. As for the alt start suggestion (basically Dragon Age Origins), I like it, but they have a budget friendly intro scenario that works for almost any origin story. Imagine the future when modders add new classes, races, etc.. to the game (like right now you can download barbarian and sorceror classes). That is mostly possible because of the streamlined scenario they have. If every new class/race, etc... needed its own starting chapter, that would greatly limit the ability to realistically expand the content with mods. Sorry, but I prefer a mod-friendly game over one with unique origin stories.

G
guy Offline OP
OP Offline
G

Even when making their own character, a large percentage of general/casual gamers out there don't even customize things like skills, stats, or spell selections. They just take the defaults. They just pick a race and class, set up their appearance, and call it a day. They don't know what that other stuff means, or does, and they don't really care. They just want to get in and play. The preponderance of Tavs show that a lot of people don't even care to NAME their character.

Larian has % stats for people that skipped the gob ambush.
Is there any way we can get LArian to show % stats for this too?

I custom EVERY char.

EVERY point matters.

Especially stats like con and str.

Dex give or take, will/int/cha less so... unless you are a wizard, then every point matters int. and they determine saving DCs, so then they do matter, but situationally.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dheuster
Some Numbers.

The trend seems to indicate people like origin stories just fine. As for the alt start suggestion (basically Dragon Age Origins), I like it, but they have a budget friendly intro scenario that works for almost any origin story. Imagine the future when modders add new classes, races, etc.. to the game (like right now you can download barbarian and sorceror classes). That is mostly possible because of the streamlined scenario they have. If every new class/race, etc... needed its own starting chapter, that would greatly limit the ability to realistically expand the content with mods. Sorry, but I prefer a mod-friendly game over one with unique origin stories.

The Witcher 3.

410,042 votes. Summary: Overwhelmingly Positive.

And that only has ONE origin character to choose from!

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 06/12/20 01:51 PM.
G
guy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Maldurin
Im a big fan of origin characters abd i love to have the option to experience a kind of new adventure when playing as one.
If i remember right, Larian is going to add a Mercenaries system like in DOS2 anyway for those who dont?

I hope they do not add a mercenary system...

I will talk about DDO here, dungeons and dragons online.

They have a mercenary system for players that do not play in a group of people.

Dry. Bland. BLah.

Jsut make non -origin companions and flesh them out

G
guy Offline OP
OP Offline
G

Actually, yes, good point.

My first three characters were all TAV, and I couldn't figure it out right away.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by guy

Actually, yes, good point.

My first three characters were all TAV, and I couldn't figure it out right away.

I have found it but also spend like half of the hour (at least) in the creator going back and forth. Easy to miss if someone doesn't like to spend too much time there.

G
guy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Some Numbers.

What other gameplay changed between DOS and DOS2?
The youtube streaming community maybe?
There is more coverage for DOS2 than DOS.

I would not chalk it up to one specific feature.

And that worked for THAT GAME.
This is NOT that game, and it
Now, look at this. Bare in mind this game is over 20 years old at this point, and this I linked is basically DLC, AND BG has LESS advertising through streaming that DOS does.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/Baldurs_Gate_Enhanced_Edition/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/257350/Baldurs_Gate_II_Enhanced_Edition/

The point is this. Why did Larian choose BG?
They liked it? maybe.

Because the numbers show there is a viable market? YES.

It seems to me LARIAN WANTS the BG crowd. This open feedback EA? The BG crowd eats it up.

Origins are not for the BG crowd, they are for the other Larian game crowd.

Again, my thought? scrap it, or sell it as DLC. IF they can get the non origin stuff up to snuff, then my opinion on it changes to neutral.

Larian will make the choice they will make, I am simply giving feedback to the EA

G
guy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Some Numbers.

The Witcher 3.

The witcher has strong advertising.

IS the community vote from origins, or is it from advertising?

How much customization is there for witcher?

Will witcher have a life span like diablo, where it is a fad for 5 years, where it is top of the line graphics, engine, and innovation, until people realize it could have been done much better and move on, and get bored of the same grind over and over?

There are more factors besides one specific feature.

Point being. Witcher is a different game and a different crowd.
RPGS like BG are already a VERY small crowd.

And Origins in a game where you only get the one main char?
In that context, yes, it is fantastic!

So yes, that is a lovely orange you have, but right now, I am concerned about the apples.

Last edited by guy; 06/12/20 02:14 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by guy
Some Numbers.

The Witcher 3.

The witcher has strong advertising.

IS the community vote from origins, or is it from advertising?

How much customization is there for witcher?

Will witcher have a life span like diablo, where it is a fad for 5 years, where it is top of the line graphics, engine, and innovation, until people realize it could have been done much better and move on, and get bored of the same grind over and over?

There are more factors besides one specific feature.

Point being. Witcher is a different game and a different crowd.
RPGS like BG are already a VERY small crowd.

And Origins in a game where you only get the one main char?
In that context, yes, it is fantastic!

So yes, that is a lovely orange you have, but right now, I am concerned about the apples.

I'm pretty sure Firesnakearies' point was to mock Dheuster's misuse of statistics. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

I'm pretty sure Firesnakearies' point was to mock Dheuster's misuse of statistics. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Actually, no, I was agreeing with Dheuster.

G
addict
addict
G
Personally, after many hours in DOS2 with Larian, there is absolutely NO WAY anyone can say the custom character experience is equivalent to Origin. You got some much more interaction with Origin in DOS2: hidden storylines, extra quests, extra battles, extra dialogue options, extra items even.

There is so much you missed out on by playing a custom character. I played through as custom first before doing Origin and it was almost like a new game with the extra content.

It already appears this is the same in BG3 with the extra dialogue and banter between the Origin and you can tell a lot of the items and triggers on the map are intended for those characters for their stories to be fuller. If you play a custom experience, you don't get that at all just like DOS2.

Larian can't try to say that you will get the exact same experience because you just won't, especially when the Origin characters have unique storylines tied to NPCs and other things that you will meet even later in the game.

If I don't have Wyll in my party, what is my interaction with his patron going to be?

G
guy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Now, I will type this.

If they have Halsin as non companion, The tiefling comander, Mynthara....

If they make those characters in to origins?

YES, that would be very interesting.

And if you played those origins, and they changed your ore game play experience?

GObs stronger/ weaker, druids more open/ less open, tieflings more aggressive/less agressive...

Then, in that specific scenerio, yes, origins are good.

As it looks to be going?

My vote is no.

E
E
The votes on steam measure not just origins. The difference might be because graphycs or UI. Also, you might want to add other similar games like kingmaker, pillars of eternity, etc.

Origins aren't really a new concept. In the BG versión for console, you have a selección of characters that included Dritzz if you unlocked. It was an arcade more than RPG, but you did have origins. This is similar.

But what happen to the people that didn't liked any of those options? They had to settle. And since you didn't have that much choice, you picked the one that you disliked the least.

But now is different. There are plenty of games and people who don't like origins can simply buy another game. The conflict here is about expectations. Some people like me want a new BG, where you create your character and that character is at the centre of the story. Other want a DoS3, even if it wasn't marketed as such. And since they like origins, they expect the people who doesn't to settle and either pick the origin that they dispone the least or play a custom character that is an expectator to the origins. Or just not play, after all, they already paid snd helped to finance origins.

Well, if Larian knew from the begining that custom characters were going to be secondary, they should have said it from the begining, not claim the opposite to deceive the people who enjoy playing their own characters.

Or they can look for synergies and use what they have to make custom characters work. In that regard, some of the OP suggestions could be considered. Not the part to "scratch" origina, but the part about allowing the use of those stories to be used by the custom characters ofrecen shared. While Gale story won't quite work as shared, Astarion would. After all, if MC and character are both vampire spawns created by Cazador, that might create interesting dynamics. Specially if Astarion seduced the MC to bring MC to Cazador and is responsible for their turn. They might be alise, competotors, rivals or enemies forced into a truce. Because they both need to get rid of Cazador. Yet, it would make sense to not trust the other. So, basically, ir would be nice if Larian considered that MC is as rounded and interesting as Origins. Or it is if you arexwilling to put the work.

addict
addict

Apologies then.

In that case I'll have to disagree with both of you and agree with EMC_V. These statistics are completely useless and the quoted numbers a textbook example of misuse/abuse of statistics. There's so many variables between those games that taking conclusions about popularity of certain features from those numbers is... pretty much worthless. By this logic you could argue combat in TW3 is better than combat in Dark Souls, since the former has better numbers.

G
guy Offline OP
OP Offline
G

Apologies then.

In that case I'll have to disagree with both of you and agree with EMC_V. These statistics are completely useless and the quoted numbers a textbook example of misuse/abuse of statistics. There's so many variables between those games that taking conclusions about popularity of certain features from those numbers is... pretty much worthless. By this logic you could argue combat in TW3 is better than combat in Dark Souls, since the former has better numbers.

Dark souls as good combat imo. But it is hard af

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard