Next Thread
Print Thread
#742210 05/12/20 10:41 PM
L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
I know it’s probably too much to ask, but the metal plate armour bends and stretches like cloth in this game, even during idle animations. I find it very off-putting, can this be fixed? It’s really noticeable on the githyanki plate when a male is wearing it due to the huge pauldrons.

addict
addict
I wholeheartedly agree this looks terrible, but is there a game that doesn't have this problem? I think it's either this or bad clipping.

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
Your probably right, it’s just that we spend so much time looking so closely at our characters. I remember thinking they did a good job in Ghost of Tsushima, especially the cloth simulation. But here we have so many body types etc to deal with, likely an insurmountable problem.

addict
addict
I admit I haven't played a lot of latest and greatest (that is with cutting-edge visuals). I'll need to look at GoT, I remember it being beautiful in some preview, but haven't played it myself.

But you touch upon another problem that imo Larian should really look at - cloth simulation (also hair). Just compare it to (say) TW3. It's especially bad at the belt area where the clothing stretches horrendously once a character moves his leg. Or stands in a non-optimal position. Then you have the belts and layers of clothing that just look glued together (though that may be harder to overcome).

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
I think the thing that stands out most to me are laces/bows that are just painted on. If they can’t be modelled properly, just don’t put them on. Hopefully they’re just early revisions.

addict
addict
Yeah, I agree on the laces. Not the simplest to model, but maybe we'll see some updates on that front.

From the things I've noticed... chainmail. Now, to be fair - getting chainmail right in a video game is not easy. But apart from the obvious "modeling each ring would be ridiculous and therefore they're drawn" issue, I'm not a fan of how it looks on females. Like a stretchy blouse.

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
I don’t remember chainmail looking as bad in Witcher 3, which is five years old now. But again, they’re only modelling for one body in that case.

addict
addict
I don't remember any full chainmail tunics in TW3, I think it was always just pieces of chainmail. From what I found:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's pretty bad realism-wise as far as I can tell, but looks good until you focus on it.

BG3 for comparison:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Historically accurate:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Idk, the one in BG3 has very visibly stretched texture and the rings look messed up somehow. No idea how much it would take to make it look good.

old hand
old hand
Man you're not wrong. The chainmail in that second screenshot looks like ass.

Link Copied to Clipboard