Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Is it only my imagination, but do my party members MISS A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF TIME!?

Last edited by AngelsRaven; 06/12/20 02:58 PM.
It's probably a combination of human nature (you remember the bad more than the normal) and mechanics.

How familiar are you with 5E D&D?
Whether you are or aren't, BG3 has it's own customization layer on top of that that you have to learn.

If you know how things work it's not hard to hit things.

If you need more specific help, post some more specific info about who is missing, what weapon/spell are they using, what are their stats, etc.

G
guy Offline
G
In the opposite of the op...

I am noticing more nat 20s, and more 1s.

a few inbetweens.

Many the RNG is going below 1, and above 20, and is being capped?

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
For example: Lea'zel with a greatsword (she's level 3)

--> How familiar are you with 5E D&D? not at all currently. But that should indeed not be a problem in enjoying a game... i guess

Last edited by AngelsRaven; 06/12/20 05:40 PM.
Originally Posted by AngelsRaven
For example: Lea'zel with a greatsword (she's level 3)

--> How familiar are you with 5E D&D? not at all currently. But that should indeed not be a problem in enjoying a game... i guess

Of course not, but in any game you have to learn how things work, so having that pre-knowledge just makes that process faster.
You can open a combat log in the bottom right of the screen, there is some button to open it up. Mouse over her attacks and see what the numbers are.
Is she attacking things in the darkness? I don't believe Gith have dark vision, so that would incur a penalty.

veteran
veteran
+1 to those recommending the learning the rules. 5th ed is the easiest edition to learn but it takes some time.

Also, dice are strange that way. Right after the patch I had such a run of luck I was sure that Larian had loaded the dice. I finally started missing in the underdark. In any case comparing BG3 to PnP, my toons hit an absurd number of times.

Check out the odds of getting the roll you want

https://www.dicegamedepot.com/dice-n-games-blog/dice-odds-for-every-type-d4-d6-d8-d10-d12-d20/

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
And i hit 7 on the dice 3 time in a row I can that be possible I have to be very lucky or unlucky. There is something with the script for the dice roll

Y
Y
I'd be a liar if I'd say I'm totally not feeling like dice rolls are sometimes loaded. Doesn't matter if sometimes I get good battles and sometimes bad battles. Because all it takes is ome bad battle with a couple of really bad rolls in a row to make a battle completely one sided and then starts the save scumming.

addict
addict
At the windmill battle it became ridiculous.
We were all blessed and had magical armour cast.
About all attacks failed, magical or melee. Only magic missile hurt the goblins. The goblins on the other hand had 2 critical hits in consecutive turns.
After only 3 turns, 2 of my party were dying in a pool of acid while the 2 remaining warriors couldn't hit a foe, even with 70% hit probabilitu.
This sort of takes the fun out of the game.

Last edited by ldo58; 12/12/20 10:26 PM.
stranger
stranger
Sadly, especially for Lae'zel, you really cannot play the class "as intended" as others have mentioned, there's that special blend of homebrew in BG3 from Larion, which ultimately over-rewards you for backstabbing.

giving Lae'zel any source of light (theres a necklace that gives you dancing lights as a bonus action) because she has no dark vision, but also bringing her from the front of the target (as you would think a warrior would fight toe to toe) you'll find her chance of success marker raise from usually around 55-65% in the front to 80-95% from behind (even higher if you can successfully be in "hiding" before you attack them from behind - see the red vision cones that appear in a battle, which way people are facing, etc.

Shadowheart can run into this problem as well with her melee, and depending on what kind of character you're playing (rogue or warrior for example) eventually you'll run out of "backstab" area with too many melee targets

Using shove on targets can help with both this issue, so the target moves away from lae'zel after she attacks from behind, so shadowheart can walk in behind and do the same. Pushing someone away also allows you to break away from a target's melee range without incurring attacks of opportunity from them.

another way to avoid attacks of opportunity, or to position yourself behind someone without them hitting you is to use jump, jump uses a bonus action but again, if you can just leap behind your target, your chance of hitting will drastically increase.

the same can be said for ANY range skill (arrows or magic) using them from higher up (even just standing on a box, literally) will raise your chance of hitting the target drastically. Elevation = Success, and the reverse for being below targets, its hard to shoot anything, even magic, upwards.

The only other really big thing I've noticed that messes up my success is the "threatened" status, which is nasty for casters, but particularly frustrating for melee fighters because of course they're threatened, they're fighting in melee. But I digress, if you are threatened (a hostile is within arm's reach) you are, in theory, so scared or in peril or whatever that you mess up your spells and attacks, pushing and jumping are useful here too

Trying to capitalize on shared inititive is key too. If Lae'zel and you are going at the same time, and she has a 30% chance to successfully hit because she's in the dark, and you can cast light. Cast light first, then make her attack, or inversely say you are trying to cast eldritch blast but you're threatened. Have Lae'zel push them away so you lose your threatened status and have a higher chance of hitting the eldritch blast.

Good luck!!! May the odds be ever in your favour!

Originally Posted by Flubbs

The only other really big thing I've noticed that messes up my success is the "threatened" status, which is nasty for casters, but particularly frustrating for melee fighters because of course they're threatened, they're fighting in melee. But I digress, if you are threatened (a hostile is within arm's reach) you are, in theory, so scared or in peril or whatever that you mess up your spells and attacks, pushing and jumping are useful here too

Threatened should have absolutely zero effect on a character using a melee attack.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nezix
Originally Posted by Flubbs

Threatened should have absolutely zero effect on a character using a melee attack.

Yes there are 3 spells I try to have cast on my Ranger before each battle and that is to have Shadowheart cast Shield of Faith<increases my AC +2> 2. I will cast Jump on myself and 3. Blade ward. <1/2 damage from weapons. And with her being a dual wielder of weapons with the jump spell she can be right in the midst of battle and doing some serious damage. For ones with Higher HP I cast Hunters Mark on the enemy and get more damage on them.<G> Trust me she's a damage-dealing tank.

addict
addict
I found the gith'yanki patrol. Tried to fight them thrice now, but no fight lasted longer than 3 turns. I admit, I quit the last one before everyone was dead, as defeat was inevitable.

Battle starts and L4 Shadowheart casts L2 guiding bolt from a height position with 75% hit chance. Miss.
Then it's a gith'anky's turn. Attacks my L4 dwarf cleric, with 18 base AC and bless cast. She takes 2 hits and she's down.
After 3 turns, the L4 party's dead and the Githyanki have suffered quasi only magic missle damage.
(Lae'zel is L4 Battle Master with STR 18 and has Tyr's sword, but couldn't make more than a scratch before we were all dead.)

These dice roll misses against this kind of enemy makes for very short battles.

I talked my way past through them now.

Last edited by ldo58; 23/12/20 09:42 PM.
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R

Ridiculous is relative to user.
RNG is real.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I still get that, got throught the Gnarld door, even with 60% of hitting, I miss every single time.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Skulkrin
I still get that, got throught the Gnarld door, even with 60% of hitting, I miss every single time.

Trying to picture which door you mean. If it’s one in Ethel’s lair then there’s probably a good reason why you can’t hit it, though admittedly don’t think I’ve even tried for many patches.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
B
B
Some doors (and other sturdy objects) have immunity to certain damage types and a minium amount of damage that you need to do with a single hit. If you e.g. shot arrows against a metal door or use psycic damage against a stone wall, it can look as if you miss every time (in reality you don't miss, you just do zero damage).

old hand
old hand
With the default Karmic Dice enabled I got the feeling that my chars hit too often, that AC does not matter that much and control spells are a waste. Some tests made by some players seem to confirm that you get more higher dice numbers than random throws would allow. That's the same for the AI but the player can deal a lot better than AI with the fast high damage gameplay that results. Not fair.

After disabling the Karmic Dice I got the feeling that AC does matter more and the AI and I get more misses. It seems to resemble better that TT idea behind the rules and I like that more because it's more balanced. Some rows of misses while a bit annoying at first glance are acceptable and totally explainable by randomness.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AngelsRaven
Is it only my imagination, but do my party members MISS A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF TIME!?

There are a few things you should check/do:

1. Make sure Lae'zel is not wearing the Gloves of Power - if you don't have the Mark of the Absolute you will be casting Bane (Negative 1d4 to hit) on yourself every time you attack. You get the Mark from Priestess Gut in the Shattered Sanctum. The Gloves drop early (at the Grove) and they are kind of a trap.
2. As mentioned before, Githyanki don't have Darkvision so you will want to make sure in dark areas you have a Light source. Torch, Sunwalker's Gift, Clerics Light spell (Shadowheart doesn't have this but you can get it for her at higher levels)
3. Use a potion of Hill Giant Strength - they can be purchased from Auntie Ethel and sometimes other vendors. They last Until Long Rest and set your Strength to 21, so you would gain + 2 to hit for Lae'zel.
4. You can also grab Loviatar's Blessing from Adurak in the Shattered Sanctum - which gives you +2 to hit if you drop below 30% health (you can heal up after)

Hope that helps

Last edited by Blackheifer; 08/05/23 04:01 PM.

Blackheifer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard