Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#742824 07/12/20 11:10 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Well, before Patch 3 (bravissimo Larian) I never had an original list of suggestions to make which other better posts had not already addressed. I am not sure I do now, but I am also unsure how much more time I will have to play so I am posting what I have in the hopes it will prove useful.

Cinematics could use a little more reactivity: Example, use stealth to navigate the snailship and suddenly upon going above decks -where active combat is under way and caution would be advisable- characters drops stealth to stand around gawking at everything going on like a hayseed. That actually isn't a bad response, except the standing out in the open bit. Would be nice to have a set of animations reflecting those of us whom preceded with care and prudence. I get that our character is first level, and being in the hells on a snailcraft being attacked by dragons and demons is some remarkable shit, but the tonal shift is not subtle. Consider this for all future cinematics please.

Opening cinematic still shows the rock propelling toward the bow against the bearing of the ship and the character following the same counterintertuitive trajectory against all reason and velocity to the contrary, whilst smoke, detritus, and other debris from the ship follow the law of physics and trail behind the ship.

Cannot equip rapier with a dagger offhand. Considering this was a style of combat all its own during the Renaissance, I can only assume this is an oversight.

As an addendum to the above, parrying daggers offering a negligible AC bonus would be greatly appreciated

Ceiling still offering interference, reacting to and alternately inhibiting clicks which should instead set pathfindering on the plane inhabited by characters.

In the Kelemvor Crypts, if you have not used perception to find the hidden button on the column once the trap has been triggered it is impossible to proctor that perception check -in combat or out, that trigger should be the same. I would add, however, during combat it should have a higher target number to account for the distraction of hearing the trap grinding into action and the alarm that would foster in the character. This may be universal for all static checks in combat, and if so I would stress the need for redress

If one casts mage hand they lose their familiar. This is ill advised.

Non imp familiars are absolutely useless. There is much which can be done with them on the table top which cannot be implemented in the game. A possible suggestion would be either going the route of NwN against 5e canon and giving them levels (nothing with 8 HP is going to survive long at 12th level) or alternately doing what HareBrained Schemes did with their ShadowRun series in regards to riggers and making entry points and mini maps with ancillary objectives which can only be navigated and accomplished by familiars. I think I might remember there was a tiny cave in Throne of Bhaal with h a treasure only a familiar sized creature could access.. There are a lot of possibilities, just please don't leave them as they are now.

Scoll bar on backpacks no longer work, therefore using them to store things and keep one's inventory orderly is inhibited. (I like to fill them full of weapons so I can drop them into the merchant screen with a single click). I understand why we may not want infinite capacity, but I would also like to be able to place more than twenty weeds in a hiker's pack. I cannot stand an inventory where things are not organized by type and kind, in alphabetical, chronological, and gynecological order.

There really needs to be an option to kill Astarion or enter into combat after he draws a knife on you. Fuck him. I mean we can do it with Gale, why not why not this asshole?

Party movement bad.

Can anyone confirm if Wyl's Devil Sight is working? I notice switching between he and my elf, the environment goes dark but he doesn't seem to be getting disadvantage in combat in the caves. So maybe its just a visual glitch?

That's it, not much, all minor things, but its all I got.

edit: Also, back entrance to the Grove, as an Arcane Trickster with the Sage background and access to Arcana, I feel as though I should be given the chance to get past the magic lock without needing to steal a collar off of one of the druids. Maybe a separate kit for dealing with arcane locks? Maybe rolls with arcana prior to sleight of hand? I don't know, there are a few ways this could go, its pretty minor, but it did annoy me somewhat. I am a backdoor dude, I hate taking the obvious route.

Last edited by DistantStranger; 07/12/20 11:18 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by DistantStranger
Cannot equip rapier with a dagger offhand. Considering this was a style of combat all its own during the Renaissance, I can only assume this is an oversight.

Technically, this follows the TT rules, and is not an oversight. Indeed, the Rapier is not a Light Weapon, and thus not usable with a second weapon in the off-hand.

That said, Rapier+Dagger is something I am requesting too. It looks cool.

As for how to make this happen, it's probably not a good idea to make the Rapier be Light, from a strictly mechanisms point of view (in reality, I would think a rapier is fairly light). Otherwise it would be Light and Finesse Weapon, like Scimitar and Short Sword, but dealing 1d8 instead of 1d6.

Instead, they should just say that Rapier allows you to have a second weapon, only if that second weapon is a Dagger.

This change would barely modify the "fine balance" of combat, and certainly would do so orders of magnitude less than plenty of other rules changes Larian is making. So "oh no it will screw the balance" doesn't really work here.

The Dual Wielder feat will let you do that, assuming it's properly implemented.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nezix

The Dual Wielder feat will let you do that, assuming it's properly implemented.

It does allow that.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Considering there will only be three opportunities for feats in the game, dual wield for a dagger is a non starter. If those are the rules and Larian wants to stick by them, I won't complain, but I am not going to withdraw the suggestion. The rapier is not a heavy weapon, classifying it as such to avoid someone dual wielding them makes s sort of sense, but the weapon would come to be specifically designed for use with an offhanded buckler or dagger for defense in a few short decades after its initial design (disregarding medieval references to rapiers which described any slashing sword with a guard and lacking a cruciform hilt). Their average weight somewhere between two and three pounds but when balanced well they feel all but weightless.

Its up to the devs what they want to do, but I know what course of action I would encourage

old hand
old hand
Well, before Patch 3 (bravissimo Larian) I never had an original list of suggestions to make which other better posts had not already addressed. I am not sure I do now, but I am also unsure how much more time I will have to play so I am posting what I have in the hopes it will prove useful.

Cinematics could use a little more reactivity: Example, use stealth to navigate the snailship and suddenly upon going above decks -where active combat is under way and caution would be advisable- characters drops stealth to stand around gawking at everything going on like a hayseed. That actually isn't a bad response, except the standing out in the open bit. Would be nice to have a set of animations reflecting those of us whom preceded with care and prudence. I get that our character is first level, and being in the hells on a snailcraft being attacked by dragons and demons is some remarkable shit, but the tonal shift is not subtle. Consider this for all future cinematics please.

Opening cinematic still shows the rock propelling toward the bow against the bearing of the ship and the character following the same counterintertuitive trajectory against all reason and velocity to the contrary, whilst smoke, detritus, and other debris from the ship follow the law of physics and trail behind the ship.

As an addendum to the above, parrying daggers offering a negligible AC bonus would be greatly appreciated

Ceiling still offering interference, reacting to and alternately inhibiting clicks which should instead set pathfindering on the plane inhabited by characters.

In the Kelemvor Crypts, if you have not used perception to find the hidden button on the column once the trap has been triggered it is impossible to proctor that perception check -in combat or out, that trigger should be the same. I would add, however, during combat it should have a higher target number to account for the distraction of hearing the trap grinding into action and the alarm that would foster in the character. This may be universal for all static checks in combat, and if so I would stress the need for redress

If one casts mage hand they lose their familiar. This is ill advised.

Non imp familiars are absolutely useless. There is much which can be done with them on the table top which cannot be implemented in the game. A possible suggestion would be either going the route of NwN against 5e canon and giving them levels (nothing with 8 HP is going to survive long at 12th level) or alternately doing what HareBrained Schemes did with their ShadowRun series in regards to riggers and making entry points and mini maps with ancillary objectives which can only be navigated and accomplished by familiars. I think I might remember there was a tiny cave in Throne of Bhaal with h a treasure only a familiar sized creature could access.. There are a lot of possibilities, just please don't leave them as they are now.

Scoll bar on backpacks no longer work, therefore using them to store things and keep one's inventory orderly is inhibited. (I like to fill them full of weapons so I can drop them into the merchant screen with a single click). I understand why we may not want infinite capacity, but I would also like to be able to place more than twenty weeds in a hiker's pack. I cannot stand an inventory where things are not organized by type and kind, in alphabetical, chronological, and gynecological order.

There really needs to be an option to kill Astarion or enter into combat after he draws a knife on you. Fuck him. I mean we can do it with Gale, why not why not this asshole?

Party movement bad.

Can anyone confirm if Wyl's Devil Sight is working? I notice switching between he and my elf, the environment goes dark but he doesn't seem to be getting disadvantage in combat in the caves. So maybe its just a visual glitch?

That's it, not much, all minor things, but its all I got.

edit: Also, back entrance to the Grove, as an Arcane Trickster with the Sage background and access to Arcana, I feel as though I should be given the chance to get past the magic lock without needing to steal a collar off of one of the druids. Maybe a separate kit for dealing with arcane locks? Maybe rolls with arcana prior to sleight of hand? I don't know, there are a few ways this could go, its pretty minor, but it did annoy me somewhat. I am a backdoor dude, I hate taking the obvious route.

Agree all.

Link Copied to Clipboard