Print Thread
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by AzAthena
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Ultimately, with BG3, it is the name that it all comes down to for me. If everything else about this game were exactly the same except for it having some other name than BG3, my reactions would be completely different. My curiosity for a new D&D game and my love of cRPGs would've caused me to come take a look. Once I got that look I would've said "Nah, this doesn't look like a good game to me at all," and walked away. But the moment it was named Baldur's Gate 3, that changes everything.

am i not alone in feeling that the name gripped me, yet equally i felt like it was so unexpected what i received?

i actually like the bg3 game in its current experience, yet i definitely hit a point where i wondered if the name choice was simply to acquire a userbase, where a new D&D title may not have achieved the same

Because some of us do not compare to DOS2. The community created content for BG3 while a start is yet almost NOTHING compared to the stuff Online persistent player driven worlds and thousands of modules adventures the Neverwinter Nights community created.

Finally Baldurs Gate 1 and Baldurs Gate 2 are classics.

All players do not want to win with pushing a barrel and taking high ground advantage. There is nothing wrong doing that (even more so when challenge otherwise would be very hard), but then they should that enemy AI does that at least rarely. That would be the day a player group get ambushed by wandering monsters.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 09/12/20 05:59 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Ultimately, with BG3, it is the name that it all comes down to for me. If everything else about this game were exactly the same except for it having some other name than BG3, my reactions would be completely different. My curiosity for a new D&D game and my love of cRPGs would've caused me to come take a look. Once I got that look I would've said "Nah, this doesn't look like a good game to me at all," and walked away. But the moment it was named Baldur's Gate 3, that changes everything.

am i not alone in feeling that the name gripped me, yet equally i felt like it was so unexpected what i received?

i actually like the bg3 game in its current experience, yet i definitely hit a point where i wondered if the name choice was simply to acquire a userbase, where a new D&D title may not have achieved the same

Because some of us do not compare to DOS2. The community created content for BG3 while a start is yet almost NOTHING compared to the stuff Online persistent player driven worlds and thousands of modules adventures the Neverwinter Nights community created.

Finally Baldurs Gate 1 and Baldurs Gate 2 are CULT classics.

All players do not want to win with pushing a barrel and taking high ground advantage. There is nothing wrong doing that, but then they should that enemy AI does that. That would be the day a player group get ambushed by wandering monsters.

im unable to relate you comment to the snippet you quoted? ive never played dos2, and as such the barrel memes tend to go over my head, i actually find they make it harder... probably because they get used, i also havent been conditioned by another game to like or dislike this approach, its very new to me.

perhaps i am misunderstanding your quote, or vice versa. however could you clarify for me please and thank you?

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
back to the OP topic, my concern wit the obsidian name is that unless im mistaken microsoft just bought them, and that means we do not yet know how this affects the company. even beyond end result there could be all sorts of changes to creative process/development and it feels early to speculate or name them specificly as who should have, and i loved pillars/tyranny

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Terminator2020

Finally Baldurs Gate 1 and Baldurs Gate 2 are CULT classics.

All players do not want to win with pushing a barrel and taking high ground advantage. There is nothing wrong doing that, but then they should that enemy AI does that. That would be the day a player group get ambushed by wandering monsters.

im unable to relate you comment to the snippet you quoted? ive never played dos2, and as such the barrel memes tend to go over my head, i actually find they make it harder... probably because they get used, i also havent been conditioned by another game to like or dislike this approach, its very new to me.

perhaps i am misunderstanding your quote, or vice versa. however could you clarify for me please and thank you?

Ok you are not ex DOS2 player my misstake sorry.

I am talking of what can be created by community:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=707867#Post707867
That is what they have done.

In Neverwinter Nights they could create adventures totally own adventures and player driven persistent multiplayer Online worlds.

No barrel pushing game? Baldurs Gate 1 example:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=742528#Post742528

I think some refer while this game is good (I am not saying it is bad) some player would it be more like Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 or Neverwinter Nights 1&2.

This game is still good. I want to play whole this game. However there are some people that want it more different likely more oldschool regarding from the subject of this thread.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 09/12/20 06:28 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
i was a big fan of bg1/2 and still play them. nwn is a gem super amazing roleplay experience though the controls were not my fav, and graphics aged not entirely well. they keep wonder with content emerging and in story games the graphics are minimal value imho.

as for old vs new: i try to keep my desires of how it should be out of it to an extent considering i didnt take the initiive to make it. yet thats just me, and im not speaking for anyone besides me. i can empathize with wishing it was more adjacent to what i knew, yet i also am open to a new experience and not holding the past up on a mantle

Last edited by AzAthena; 09/12/20 06:12 PM.
veteran
veteran
Baldur's Gate 2 is commonly ranked one of the greatest computer games of all time, I think rpgs are a cult genre if anything

Last edited by Sozz; 09/12/20 06:27 PM.
veteran
veteran

I will add that the video game culture has changed dramatically since bg1/2. we were a lil more lowkey back then, to be fair. we could have ripped it apart for not being strict to 2e ( it wasn't ) we could have complained that it was similar to icewind dale etc. ( order of release irrelevant ) so companies do what works for them for mechanics.

I disagree with this and it really gets at why the "5th ed purist" line annoys me so much. The thing about the IE games is that they had so many D&D fans in house -- and the NPCs were actually based on the devs own characters -- that they knew what sort of house rules to implement. In BG,. The prices for services for churches is off -- and that's a good thing. The constitution score reduction for being raised from the dead was never implemented. The level cap on demi humans was not implemented. The need to find pearls to identify items was never implemented. No one was upset that Jaheria could cast raise dead instead of reincarnation. A number of the spells were not correctly implemented -- horrid wilting should take out your party just like fireball does. And these house rules were the very same house rules I and every other group I knew were running with.

In fact, I remember people getting upset when IWD implemented a number of the spells correctly. Before Sawyer was a critic of the DnD ruleset he was the by-the-book kinda guy.

The Larian house rules are not like those. Or rather some are and some aren't. No one wants players to find diamonds to raise the dead. No one is asking that revivify be implemented correctly by only allowing it be used on corpses that died less than a minute ago. (Somewhat surprisingly) no one is asking that the "only three magic items" or "magic item attunement" rules be implemented properly. People are just used to video game levels of loot and games are more combat intensive than pen and paper. I see more combat in one hour of BG3 than tabletop group sees in a year of play.

But rules like dip, surfaces on cantrips, height giving advantage, barrelmancy and the like are different. I doubt there is a tabletop group that has implemented these features into the game.

TL;DR. The Larian house rules are not like the Bioware house rules and I've not seen a real 5th ed purist on these forums.

Oh and to keep this being declared OT smile -- you take the good with the bad, what I like about Larian is that they understand that fun > balance and I think Obsidian often sacrifices at the altar of balance. I'm happy that Larian got it but I do want to see a DnD game made with the PoE2 engine.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
i can take in what you are saying though i actually come from and enjoy AD&D 2nd Edition. im used to height playing in, as well as surface ( though cantrips didnt exist, and im not certain yet that i fully grasp how the community uses the term surface x where x is many different things. so that aside... bg1/2 being 2e games there were countless rules left out of the core. the culture change i spoke to was more of a societal change, how we use the internet, our expectations of content, etc. back in bg1/2 you were hardcore if you wrote your own html for your homepage especially if your dog had a link ( exageration obv ) we downloaded guides in giant text files and sifted through them. etc its a very different internet, and it has an effect on gaming culture.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Sozz
Baldur's Gate 2 is commonly ranked one of the greatest computer games of all time, I think rpgs are a cult genre if anything

RPGs haven’t been a cult genre for a long time.

Turn based tactics and RtwP RPGs aren’t super popular, but RPGs in general are a major mainstream genre.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Turn based tactics and RtwP RPGs aren’t super popular, but RPGs in general are a major mainstream genre.

if memory serves me correctly it was the ps1 and specificly square's final fantasy vii that shifted that balance. previously and during the time bg oldschool was being born it very much was a cult genre. i recall quite clearly how my parents judged heavily the parents whose children played AD&D as it was satanic ... not a global oppinion, yet time really has a footprint in this rpg genre

T
Banned
Banned
T

if memory serves me correctly it was the ps1 and specificly square's final fantasy vii that shifted that balance. previously and during the time bg oldschool was being born it very much was a cult genre. i recall quite clearly how my parents judged heavily the parents whose children played AD&D as it was satanic ... not a global oppinion, yet time really has a footprint in this rpg genre

I am a Christian and I do not think it is wrong play roleplaying games. Well not that I turn my other cheek and I have done mandatory military service in Finland since Russia is our neighbour. Well though I have nothing against Russian people their women can be beautiful and I like to see example sports event Russia team in icehockey vs Finland. Finland is current world champion in Icehockey men that was played year 2019. Year 2020 not played due to COVID 19.

I believe that hatred in beginning was mistrust for a new odd thing in their opinion after all Dungeons Dragons came out year 1974 and during that time already it had stuff like Demons. That year 1974 was long time before I started playing, but I checked from Wikpedia when it came out.

On the other hand I hate the fact that Dungeons Dragons 5 can have domains without choosing a God or Deity.
That is completely wrong. You can not have any divine power without a deity as Cleric or Paladin well though in Dungeons lore this can be either you choose the deity and/or deity chooses you. In Dungeons Dragons you can also worship more then one God.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 09/12/20 08:05 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
agreed 100% terminator, on all of that. my reference to faith and how this genre was viewed in my youth was simply to contrast how much of a shift and how mutable this genre is.

as for clerics in 5e.... i struggle with editions newer than 2e because a lot of what felt right has changed, yet i still can play 2e so let times change

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Dear Larian forum moderators,
Not sure whether advertising is allowed but I just want to pass the information. I don't think I am violating any forum rules.

Pertaining to some of the games listed in this thread.
Both POE#1 and Tyranny are supposed to be free starting tomorrow. https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games
I don't know if there are any specific conditions.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Blacas
Dear Larian forum moderators,
Not sure whether advertising is allowed but I just want to pass the information. I don't think I am violating any forum rules.

Pertaining to some of the games listed in this thread.
Both POE#1 and Tyranny are supposed to be free starting tomorrow. https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games
I don't know if there are any specific conditions.

regardless its a poor choice of thread to stuff an add

veteran
veteran
It's true everything now incorporates RPG elements, I'm not so sure about how mainstream RPGs are though. It certainly is much more mainstream than when BG:2 came out, make no mistake.

W
veteran
veteran
W
It's true everything now incorporates RPG elements, I'm not so sure about how mainstream RPGs are though. It certainly is much more mainstream than when BG:2 came out, make no mistake.

Skyrim and Fallout, The Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077, Dragon Age and Mass Effect, various MMORPGs but especially WoW, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, Assassin’s Creed (which has apparently gone full RPG), Pokémon (the single highest grossing media franchise in history).

RPGs have become as mainstream as superheroes, Star Wars, epic fantasy, and all of the other bits of what was once nerd culture and is now just pop-culture.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
videogames themselves were one nerd culture. i think you are spot on that its shifted to popculture now... all of this.

okay nerds lets pick up a new concept to be laughed at for till they realize we are awesome and it starts trending again

veteran
veteran

Here's something we have agreement on. You are absolutely correct. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether the game is TB or RTwP or isometric or whatever. cRPGs are a very small niche in video games these days even while RPGs (and especially action/first-person RPGs) have become much more mainstream and popular.

This is why I don't accept the D:OS2 sales numbers point that D:OS fans like to throw around. Being the #1 seller in a very small niche is not particularly impressive to me. If the niche is small, then even the #1 seller within that niche is small, and being "bigger" than another small competitor means nothing. Within the overall RPG genre, the sales numbers for games like TW3, Skyrim, and now CP2077 are staggering. So the question for me with BG3's anticipated sales goal is whether it is meant to be in the cRPG league or the RPG league?

W
veteran
veteran
W
videogames themselves were one nerd culture. i think you are spot on that its shifted to popculture now... all of this.

okay nerds lets pick up a new concept to be laughed at for till they realize we are awesome and it starts trending again

Avant garde interpretive dance. The next frontier of nerd culture.

T
Banned
Banned
T

Avant garde interpretive dance. The next frontier of nerd culture.

Here's something we have agreement on. You are absolutely correct. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether the game is TB or RTwP or isometric or whatever. cRPGs are a very small niche in video games these days even while RPGs (and especially action/first-person RPGs) have become much more mainstream and popular.

This is why I don't accept the D:OS2 sales numbers point that D:OS fans like to throw around. Being the #1 seller in a very small niche is not particularly impressive to me. If the niche is small, then even the #1 seller within that niche is small, and being "bigger" than another small competitor means nothing. Within the overall RPG genre, the sales numbers for games like TW3, Skyrim, and now CP2077 are staggering. So the question for me with BG3's anticipated sales goal is whether it is meant to be in the cRPG league or the RPG league?

While I am not fan of DOS2 I did buy that and it got super excellent reviews even better then TW3 or Skyrim reviews.

I never bought TW3. I bought Skyrim because they have been milking it to kingdom come and you can get Skyrim for less then 10 euro easily.

Oh and I am not fan of Elder Scrolls games have never had the patience to play through them.

Cyberpunk 2077 is I find a bit different niche it is to begin with SCIFI and does not have Magic. Cyberpunk 2077 have ground breaking technology ray tracing graphics etc. and it is a bit unfair to compare to that. Well not to mention Cyberpunk 2077 has been hyped to kingdom come. In addition last I checked there are not many games like Cyberpunk 2077 in that particular niche.

There are lots of games out there that are not turn based that dont sell way so long list I dont want to mention them.

What do I care? I care to buy those games I want and I am sure as hell ready to pay for this game much more then Skyrim that I paid for less then 10 euro.

Fortnite had at some point 125 million players, but does not make me love that game.
Baldurs Gate 3 does not need to be the biggest sales out there. It has popularity through DOS2 fans and then Dungeons Dragons fans like me and other potential players.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 09/12/20 09:19 PM.
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard