Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
a 50mb patch should not take 45 minutes to install. with a SSD

am watching the install process atm , trough monitoring and the game is fully decompiling and recompiling at 200mb/s to install your 3 fixes.... that totally unacceptable and unprofessional

1000s of people are complaining on steam forums

my computer si totally frozen cuz its READING the texture pck at 150m/s disk usage 90%
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 08/12/20 09:54 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
veteran
veteran
I think this might be a steam issue. My GOG patch took a few minutes to apply.

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
further more it only READ , and never wroth a single bit during the whole precess you can see the 0 in my pic

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 08/12/20 09:58 PM.

#743447 08/12/20 10:17 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
After downloading the Community Update 11 that took just under 7 hours to complete when the downloading of the update was done in about 30 minutes, I have been unpacking the most recent 51.5 MB update for the last 45 minutes. This is absolutely unacceptable. The download will 20 minutes or so to preallocate space, then it will download in a relatively decent time, then it will take close to an hour to unpack the update. No other game I have ever come across has this issue. What is wrong with the way your files are structured Larian?

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

So, they finally fixed that issue on GOG only to give it to Steam people? Serves those DRM lovers well! grin

Last edited by Choosen of KEK; 08/12/20 11:31 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
It angered me so bad when the game told me I hadn't enough space for 50mb even though I had literally 40gb free on my disk that I uninstalled BG3 and will probably play again after the holiday. I am deadly serious.

In the meantime, as the game doesn't allow crossplay between PC and MAC, my friends and I are playing Divinity Original Sin 2 instead.

Last edited by Nyanko; 08/12/20 10:44 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
For me it's stuck at 100% and won't finish I have downloaded 2.37 GB patch lol

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

So, they finally fixed that issue on GOG only to give it to Steam people? Serves those DRM lovers well! grin

smile

I am sorry that people are frustrated. But, yeah, this seems to be Steam's fault. It seems that with BG3 at least the 'GOG delay' is gone. I get the patches the same time the steam folks do.

But I do believe Steam is evil itself wink

old hand
old hand
Steam has caused me issues for each patch. I just re install the game each time now, not going to bother wasting time to update when I know it won't work.

old hand
old hand
Steam? It does this for me as well. I just re install instead of updating, still takes ages to allocate but not as long for the rest.

veteran
veteran
What Zarna said. I think you should tell Steam to fix this.

A lot of games on Steam seem to take longer to preallocate the space then to actually download and install. I'd call it a Steam problem because other services like Epic, Origin or Gog, don't seem to have this problem and just immediately start downloading and installing the game.

journeyman
journeyman
Set it to download before sleep, when you wake up, it's all done!!

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
People have been complaining about the Steam preallocation thing for years. I'm pessimistic about it changing. :|

J'aime le fromage.
Originally Posted by vometia
People have been complaining about the Steam preallocation thing for years. I'm pessimistic about it changing. :|

Yeah, there must be a reason they do it however I don't know what that reason is. For a conspiracy we can just assume they are scanning our entire hard drive and selling all the info to shady secret organizations for evil purposes.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
they trade it to me for popcorn.

seriously though, its a big issue on steam. and its cross platform issue on steam. beyond just preallocation. on nix we often spend longer to process vulkan shaders than download, that rev the hardware. example tombraider - shadow of ... so yea. frustrating as it is, this isnt larian's falt and it was frustrating on steam forums trying to problem solve with people who threw tantrums rather than answer questions. i wish we could follow up on the result its a steam issue, and point our frustration in the proper direction. instead it lands on the doors of affected developers

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E

I own over 600 games on steam and over 1500 game total across multiple planform , I never encountered that kind of problem before. its UNIQUE to LARIAN BG3

when is the last time you downloaded a 50mb patch and it took you 45 minutes to install it ?

I demand EXAMPLES.

I play video games 15 hours per day since the last 17 years.

never saw that in my life.

totally unacceptable and unprofessional

fix your shit.

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 09/12/20 07:55 PM.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self

I own over 600 games on steam and over 1500 game total across multiple planform , I never encountered that kind of problem before. its UNIQUE to LARIAN BG3

when is the last time you downloaded a 50mb patch and it took you 45 minutes to install it ?

I demand EXAMPLES.

fix your shit.

No, it's not unique. Creative Assembly's games have all this issue. When Total War Warhammer 2 wants to install a patch, no matter how big it is, it just asks for a stupid amount of free space on your disk every single time. And the unpacking takes ages.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self

I demand EXAMPLES.

fix your shit.

No, it's not unique. Creative Assembly's games have all this issue. When Total War Warhammer 2 wants to install a patch, no matter how big it is, it just asks for a stupid amount of free space on your disk every single time. And the unpacking takes ages.

echoed ive encountered allocation elsewhere. equally what may be fine for me suffers for another. so "i never saw this before bg3" comments.... welcome to steam finally.

stranger
stranger
Seems Steam has noticed and possibly fixed the pre-allocation issue with the December 7th update of the client: wink

Improved preallocation disk space performance when installing or updating content

Though I'm a GOG fan myself and instead we're having this issue. cry

Last edited by Lolmer; 09/12/20 08:39 PM. Reason: Add GOG note
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard