Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Yeah that issue sucks. I'm lucky to have good internet but I've also lived on satellite with 5 g monthly cap and get how much that sucks. Would be nice 62 gig major patch issue improved.

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
Originally Posted by vometia
People have been complaining about the Steam preallocation thing for years. I'm pessimistic about it changing. :|

I own over 600 games on steam and over 1500 game total across multiple planform , I never encountered that kind of problem before. its UNIQUE to LARIAN BG3

when is the last time you downloaded a 50mb patch and it took you 45 minutes to install it ?

I demand EXAMPLES.

I play video games 15 hours per day since the last 17 years.

never saw that in my life.

totally unacceptable and unprofessional

fix your shit.

No, it's not unique. Creative Assembly's games have all this issue. When Total War Warhammer 2 wants to install a patch, no matter how big it is, it just asks for a stupid amount of free space on your disk every single time. And the unpacking takes ages.

Originally Posted by AzAthena
Originally Posted by Nyanko
People have been complaining about the Steam preallocation thing for years. I'm pessimistic about it changing. :|

I own over 600 games on steam and over 1500 game total across multiple planform , I never encountered that kind of problem before. its UNIQUE to LARIAN BG3

when is the last time you downloaded a 50mb patch and it took you 45 minutes to install it ?

I demand EXAMPLES.

fix your shit.

No, it's not unique. Creative Assembly's games have all this issue. When Total War Warhammer 2 wants to install a patch, no matter how big it is, it just asks for a stupid amount of free space on your disk every single time. And the unpacking takes ages.

echoed ive encountered allocation elsewhere. equally what may be fine for me suffers for another. so "i never saw this before bg3" comments.... welcome to steam finally.

I am on steam for 17 years now that what my badge said. and I never saw that in my life. its a first for me. I don't play shitty total war game from Creative Assembly's so.

elsewhere? well I guess I don't play "those" game. even thoo like I said I own over 1500 PC games.

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 09/12/20 08:53 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
lol

A
apprentice
apprentice
A

lol

screen realestate well spent...

i don't know what to tell you, its not every game, its not every person... it happens. it happened to them, it happened to you... my socks are green the sky is blue

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
[...]

fix your shit.

Rein in the attitude, please.

Originally Posted by Lolmer
Seems Steam has noticed and possibly fixed the pre-allocation issue with the December 7th update of the client: wink

Improved preallocation disk space performance when installing or updating content

Blimey. Took them long enough, though. It was pretty terrible, I was typically seeing only about 2% of the drive's actual throughput when it was pre-allocating; it was apparently worse on SSD.

Originally Posted by Lolmer
Though I'm a GOG fan myself and instead we're having this issue. cry

I guess that's the problem when they distribute everything in a small number of monolithic archive files and a patch updates stuff in most of them. I thought at the time "I wonder if this is what'll happen when the zero-day patch lands". And it did.

So far CP77 is a bit... well, shooty. I got pwned even on easy. First impressions aren't that great.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast

I demand EXAMPLES.

fix your shit.

I've seen it for many years on Steam. Next time you get a game patch that Steam is applying, go to "manage downloads" (at the bottom center of your Library page in Steamworks--click it) and watch the screen as the game updates--you will see the "preallocating space" message in text right before your very eyes! I've seen five megabyte update patches from Steam and sometimes it will preallocate for 5-15 minutes before the patch is applied that takes all of 5 seconds. Other times, no preallocation occurs. On most average sized patches, preallocation is a regular occurrence.

People complain about 62GB downloads when a patch is released; Larian listens (or GOG listens, whichever the case) and releases an 80MB patch that requires a *lot* of disk activity and computational power to install because of the way the patch is structured--even though it's a small patch it does a major job of patching--and people say Larian is "unprofessional". Ridiculous.

I'm glad you play a lot of games--so do I. But the subject was what Steam does exclusively (other game distributors do it differently if at all) when it preallocates space before installing certain patches--you have to be in Steam works to see it--you won't see it while you are playing a game--ever....;) Like I say, if your Steam game is updating and you are on the "manage downloads" page while it happens you will see the "preallocating space" message every time. Steam tells you it's preallocating space, that's how we know to talk about it in the first place.

Just a suggestion--you might do less "demanding" and more "listening" in the future. It's much more professional, and is polite, as well. Old saw: "Catch more flies with honey than with vinegar," etc.

Last edited by Waltc; 10/12/20 05:57 AM.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
round 2 , here we go again
I uninstalled the game

you guys are happy I hope

enthusiast
enthusiast
Still not clear why this is takes so long....I usually get 8.0MB's dl from steam. Its sitting at 2.3mb. Have to say, I dont see this so much with other games that update. It is what it is though but annoying when I just wanna play smile

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
deleted post
there is another post here describing the same thing: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=745015#Post745015
no need to duplicate

Last edited by Blacas; 16/12/20 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard