Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
shmeck Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Any advice or similar experience re: very poor performance on Windows 10 Boot Camp?

New 2020 MBP, Intel Iris Plus Graphics, using Steam locally on both platforms:

- Excellent performance on macOS 10.15.7 and a "Medium" result from Options -> Video -> Overall Quality -> Auto-detect
- Almost unplayable performance on Windows 10 Boot Camp and a "Very Low" result from Auto-detect

I've done the following, with no effect:
- Updated Windows GPU driver
- Set Priority to "High" for BG3's process in the Task Manager
- Created a Custom Power Plan

Can anyone help troubleshoot? I'd like to multiplayer with friends on Windows PCs. Boot Camp is currently the only multiplayer option for Mac.
I'm very puzzled why Auto-detect returns such different results for the same hardware / architecture with updated drivers.

(side note: I'm amazed to be posting "why does this AAA game perform so much better on macOS?"...perhaps a sign of things to come...)

Last edited by shmeck; 10/12/20 06:55 PM.
shmeck Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
[crickets]

addict
addict
I can't help you, but I'm interested in the situation.

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro. When I use "Overall Quality > Auto-detect", the games chooses "High". Yes, "High". Turns out, High is too high. I usually run at Medium or Low, and experience significant performance issues from time to time.

I haven't tried BootCamp/Windows much yet. I have installed it on that partition. Like you, it's to try out multiplayer. So I'll see if I feel a difference between the two OS.

shmeck Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi Drath, yes, let me know what your experience is with Boot Camp. I'm having the same experience as you describe with Medium settings on Boot Camp. Medium settings are OK, but I get significant performance issues, and it doesn't look nearly as good or smooth as MacOS. I still haven't been able to resolve the discrepancy between Boot Camp and MacOS— MacOS is considerably better every time.

Link Copied to Clipboard