Print Thread
#744350 12/12/20 04:46 PM
R
Rasch Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I really like BG3 EA so far, but I think the main theme (music) should be changed. All the previous games had some variations on that same original main theme, and maybe this one should too?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lkvGzSU-Uc&list=PLtHuNRmYs3BUD_FwQ0O5w7aWAOXdinDk2&index=1

I think that having something more like the originals playing every time we start up the game will hit that nostalgia.

Last edited by Rasch; 12/12/20 05:34 PM.
Rasch #744366 12/12/20 06:24 PM
addict
addict
Excuse me quoting myself, but it's fitting. My thoughts on the matter:

Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
More brass. I really like BG3 music, but I wish it was more reminiscent of BG1&2. Someone did an excellent mockup with a different tempo. I'm a music dunce, but it made a world of difference.

I don't think it should be a rehash of the old theme, but it very much should be more in line with the originals stylistically.

Rasch #744367 12/12/20 06:33 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rasch

I think that having something more like the originals playing every time we start up the game will hit that nostalgia.

I get no hit of nostalgia from BG3 whatsoever, so it makes little sense for just the main theme to do so. Perhaps, deeper into the game, once actual familiar characters start popping up a nice audio cue would be welcome?

Wormerine #744370 12/12/20 06:47 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Rasch

I get no hit of nostalgia from BG3 whatsoever, so it makes little sense for just the main theme to do so. Perhaps, deeper into the game, once actual familiar characters start popping up a nice audio cue would be welcome?

I'd say it's the opposite. BG3 gives no BG vibes at all, so something should be done about it. There are "big things" that could be changed (party size, day/night cycle etc.), but there are also smaller things and tricks that can be used to evoke some of that BG feeling. Music is very powerful in this regard and could help a lot. And not just the main theme; all of it should be given a lift. Mind you, I'm not advocating for completely scrapping all of BG3 music; just tweaking it. As the mockup in th link I provided proves, even relatively small changes can make a huge difference. Familiar auditory cues could also be used. Again - not copy/paste, just reminiscent and in the same style.

Uncle Lester #744417 12/12/20 11:50 PM
R
Rasch Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Music is very powerful in this regard and could help a lot.

One of the big challenges for this game, in terms of feeling like a Baldur's Gate game, is the transition to 3D. The series has completly lost it's visual identity. I appreciate the little touches I've sees this far, like the spell icons resembling the ones from the Infinity Engine games. My humble opinion is that other areas will need to carry the nostalgic burden. Like you said. Music is powerful in this regard.

This certainly works much better than what we have. And I say that with respect for the new music. I like it. It's nice. It just does not give me the vibes of a BG game.

I actually think the main menu theme should be a rehash of the old theme (at least it should incorporate certain phrases), because it's played at the start every time players start up the game. If it puts you in the BG mindset, it actually helps quite a lot towards feeling like a BG game.

I bet a lot of what ties this story into the series will be revealed in the chapters we have not seen yet, tough a few more nods in the beginning would be nice. Maybe have someone from the old games be locked up on the ship in the intro? As clunky as the character creation screen was back then, maybe something that resembles that more? Perhaps Bhaal's symbol on the main menu? Dreams was a big part of the earlier games. Maybe add one during the blackout from the crashed ship?

Again. I like what I've seen so far. It's a strong start for a D&D game, early access and all. Just a bit light on the BG side.

Last edited by vometia; 12/12/20 11:54 PM. Reason: formatting
Rasch #744457 13/12/20 10:02 AM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I like main theme a lot ...
There is only one funny moment, since its start sounds to me like some chorus was spelling alphabet: "A,... B,..." in mine native language. laugh

But except that, its quite fine tune ... i dont see what is wrong with it. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
RagnarokCzD #744684 14/12/20 08:59 PM
R
Rasch Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I like main theme a lot ...
There is only one funny moment, since its start sounds to me like some chorus was spelling alphabet: "A,... B,..." in mine native language. laugh

Haha. I had the exact same reaction. Why is he spelling the alphabet? laugh

But, yeah. I agree. The main theme is great. I like it as well. I just think I would prefer something more reminiscent of the original's main theme. This game just needs a bit more work towards feeling like a BG game.

Rasch #744690 14/12/20 09:37 PM
stranger
stranger
Disagree. I think the main theme is very good and evokes the originals while also being distinct. I also like how the main theme is repeated throughout the game in different forms ("down by the river"0.

Rasch #744832 15/12/20 03:43 PM
veteran
veteran
The one I'd like to hear more of is the theme that plays at the end of the intro Movie in Avernus. You know the Wojciech Kilar rip that sounds like the intro to Dracula, when Lae'zel hobbles over to the view of the infernal III right before the imps swoop in. That one was badass, but it only gets a few bars. I'd like to hear that shit playing in the background sometimes while creating a character, instead of always down by the river. Which is good but it doesn't have any brass or anvil of Crom style beats while rolling up a Dwarf toon would be nice.

Link Copied to Clipboard