Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
If I understand this correctly, I cast the Friends spell on an NPC before the conversation and I should have advantage on charisma checks. Now in the dialogue, I use Persuasion and the game rolls a d20. However, it only shows one roll. Are we assuming the game rolled twice in the background, threw out the lesser roll and is only showing me the better roll? Or is advantage not really implemented?

veteran
veteran
Ultimately, you don't know, in many cases.... and we've reason to believe that in many cases where you should be, you aren't.

The game's event log is woefully incomplete and unhelpful in a lot of cases, and doesn't report dialogue events at all.
It's possible to see a dialogue advantage check, supposedly, in the intro when you're interacting with the brain - if you pass a check, you have an option to make a subsequent check at advantage, which it notes by making the dice green and displaying 'advantage' on the hover tooltip where it describes the skill and its modifiers before you roll. However, there is no indication that it actually DOES roll advantage there - we only see one die - and the event log doesn't record or report it, so we don't actually know if it is or not, and we cannot test or tell.

With that example, however, others have indicated that spells like 'friends', do not seem to be working as described or as intended, since they never present that 'advantage' notification in any dialogue.

addict
addict
In principle, you should see that you will roll with Advantage when hovering over the dialogue option. There are a couple of occasions where you can see this, but I think they are all non-spell related.

After you have selected a dialogue option involving a skill check, when you are shown the roll target, you can hover over the target number to see the details.

Then, when you roll the dice, you only see one result. I suppose the game shows the better dice result only.

A spell like Thaumaturgy half works : when looking at an Intimidation dialogue option, it doesn't show you Advantage. When looking at the roll target, it informs you that you have Advantage indeed, as you should.

Friends doesn't work, as far as I could tell : when looking at a Charisma dialogue option, it doesn't show you Advantage. When looking at the roll target, it doesn't show you Advantage.

Link Copied to Clipboard