Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I mean, I guess you could call that broken mechanically speaking, I'm sure it's not how the devs mean for the imp to be used, but it seems like a slow and tedious way to get through a fight.

I usually start off with some kind of maneuver like that to get all the enemy attention on the imp. But then I always bring my whole party in to snipe from range. It's just faster than trying to do it all with the imp.

stranger
stranger
I just bought the game 2 days ago, and my first character is a Seldarine Drow Wizard who specializes in Evocation. So far it's been going well aside from two tough encounters.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Talyn82
I just bought the game 2 days ago, and my first character is a Seldarine Drow Wizard who specializes in Evocation. So far it's been going well aside from two tough encounters.

Hey Talyn, nice to read you here. Wizard might be my next playthrough, I really love slinging spells in this game.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by fylimar

Hey Talyn, nice to read you here. Wizard might be my next playthrough, I really love slinging spells in this game.

Hey fylimar, nice to see you here as well. Now that I look at your avatar I realize you are the original poster. As for Wizard, it's fun putting half of the enemies in a group to sleep and then frying them. I do want to play a Warlock, maybe a Tiefling or half elf next. But I am enjoying my Drow Wizard. I like how mistrustful the npc's are to my character since he is a Drow.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Hey fylimar, nice to see you here as well. Now that I look at your avatar I realize you are the original poster. As for Wizard, it's fun putting half of the enemies in a group to sleep and then frying them. I do want to play a Warlock, maybe a Tiefling or half elf next. But I am enjoying my Drow Wizard. I like how mistrustful the npc's are to my character since he is a Drow.

They aren't exactly trustful of Tieflings either. I did get some slurs already, but nothing too bad.
I wish we could play druid or bard, my favorite classes in DnD, but they are not ready yet, I guess.
Another thing I want to try out, is a halfling rogue.

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger

They aren't exactly trustful of Tieflings either. I did get some slurs already, but nothing too bad.
I wish we could play druid or bard, my favorite classes in DnD, but they are not ready yet, I guess.
Another thing I want to try out, is a halfling rogue.

Yeah I can see people being mistrustful of Tiefling's with the way they look. I just think it's a nice little touch. In games like SWTOR the people do not treat you differently based on your race. In BGIII the Tiefling's are willing to deal with my Drow, but they still won't drop their guard around him. I enjoy playing a druid and bard also, but the class I usually pick is Paladin which is also not available yet. I always try to be just and good in my first playthroughs. I find it that one can get more out of a game by being nice. In this game since my companions are either rude or arrogant, I can be somewhat mean to them.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
My first Tav was a Thiefling ranger.

One of the things that I liked about this race was that Larian used it to show prejudice and racism.

My current Tav is a full Drow follower of Loth (not so much, he has discovered the pleasures of Loviathar), he is a Shield Master. I like the race, in this case because Larian used it to show self entitlement and prejudice (in the case of this race the prejudice goes both ways).

Usually I like to play mixed blood characaters (maybe because I myself am a cocktail of ethnics), indeed my next characters [the fraternal twins of my Drow fighter] are going to be one an half wood elf (with drow somatic traits) and the other one an half - drow (with wood elven somatic traits).

[Also I hope when the full game is released there are going to be more mixed bloodlines, oh how much I would love to play an hal thiefling - half elf/drow or an half thiefling - half human]

About classes I more inclined to ranged ones that is wizards and rangers, but like with races I love mixed classes (that is I love multi class characters).

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I love multiclassing too. In our p&p group I play a bard/ranger - and yes, it's as strange as it sounds, but tons of fun. She started as a bard and found her love for nature along the way (she has good stats, that's why I decided to do that).
In BG 1 & 2 I often played rogue/mages or mage/clerics.

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
I love multiclassing too. In our p&p group I play a bard/ranger - and yes, it's as strange as it sounds, but tons of fun. She started as a bard and found her love for nature along the way (she has good stats, that's why I decided to do that).
In BG 1 & 2 I often played rogue/mages or mage/clerics.

I play a few different ones so far tried out the mage, and the rogue now I"m currently playing through with a Half-elf ranger knight that dual-wields So far love the build and would love it much more if it weren't for some of the feat bugs that are in the game and ned fixed

half elf everything

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by T2aV
half elf everything

This is the correct answer.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
My new playthrough is an high elf rogue, specced as arcane trickster, so she has a bit of rogue/mage multiclass about her

Doctor Who
M
stranger
stranger
M
Seldarine ('good') drow ftw. I really enjoyed the reactions from NPCs and it spices up the group constellation. You still experience encouters like gith & tieflings etc. as s.th. special while playing a complete outsider (at least for the parts I've played yet)

Plus SUPERIOR nightvision! It's just a blast to have different colored dark areas depending on the char you control. For humans it's pitch black, dv char it's better, but drow simply see EVERYTHING! Their perception is ''colder' in tones & and you really 'feel' other races cherish the warmth of a simple candle grin

Gives you food for thought about perception in RPGs in general.

I've also tried out playing as Astarion (only a few hours). Although I got slighty annoyed by him as a companion I enjoyed to play him as main char.
Lae'zel is also fun to play (esp. when she encounters shadowheart :-D) but companion campaigns are (obviously) in very early stage so I won't invest much time in them yet.

I know there is controversy about companion campaigns, but from game design/ressource perspective it's a great idea: You already have full fledged characters at hand (artwork, voice actors etc.) and if your story allows it, dialog texts are clever & high quality why not?

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I can't select the companions at start (not that I necessarily want to).
Maybe I should consider playing a Drow, if the gameplay experience is that different. I bet playing as a Gith is something special too, given, that they seem to be generally mistrusted.

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger
My new playthrough is an high elf rogue, specced as arcane trickster, so she has a bit of rogue/mage multiclass about her

That's great to hear. How long would you say was your playthrough? Also as for your new character post a screenshot. I love seeing people's characters.:)

Edit: What was your level when you completed the first chapter?

Last edited by Talyn82; 01/01/21 03:47 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by MilesTeg
Seldarine ('good') drow ftw. I really enjoyed the reactions from NPCs and it spices up the group constellation. You still experience encouters like gith & tieflings etc. as s.th. special while playing a complete outsider (at least for the parts I've played yet)

Plus SUPERIOR nightvision! It's just a blast to have different colored dark areas depending on the char you control. For humans it's pitch black, dv char it's better, but drow simply see EVERYTHING! Their perception is ''colder' in tones & and you really 'feel' other races cherish the warmth of a simple candle grin

Gives you food for thought about perception in RPGs in general.

I've also tried out playing as Astarion (only a few hours). Although I got slighty annoyed by him as a companion I enjoyed to play him as main char.
Lae'zel is also fun to play (esp. when she encounters shadowheart :-D) but companion campaigns are (obviously) in very early stage so I won't invest much time in them yet.

I know there is controversy about companion campaigns, but from game design/ressource perspective it's a great idea: You already have full fledged characters at hand (artwork, voice actors etc.) and if your story allows it, dialog texts are clever & high quality why not?

That's why I went with a Seldarine Drow as my first character. I consider them less evil than the Lloth Sworn Drow. But in my game my character is chaotic good not evil, and yes there Darkvision is superior. I have no trouble in dark areas if my Drow is in the lead.

stranger
stranger
I can't select the companions at start (not that I necessarily want to).
Maybe I should consider playing a Drow, if the gameplay experience is that different. I bet playing as a Gith is something special too, given, that they seem to be generally mistrusted.

I can't play as any of the companions either, but as for playing as a Drow. Play what you want to play I find them unique because of npc's reactions, plus there are some dark areas where there superior darkvision comes in handy. My next character will either be a Tiefling, Half Elf/Drow, or a Lloth Sworn Drow. I wonder since Drow society is a matriarchy if female Drow will have different reactions?

I really enjoy the Drow, mainly because it's "out-the-box". As mentioned, Drow gets special dialogs. You can also make your own story and be good, change of ❤️ laugh . I based my own story from this one here: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Liriel_Baenre

The only downside with the Drow is that they can only max up to Wis 15 or Int 15 in the D&D 5E at character creation. Since the drow are more of a magical society, I thought that this is wrong, Drow should have dex and int as main attributes. Perhaps In BG3 in upcoming content the Drow could be adjusted like the ranger class *winks winks.

As for classes, I went with both Drow Lolth-sworn "Light Cleric" and Lolh-sworn "Ranger" dex based dual wielding and part time 2H, depending of the situation.

-S

Last edited by Starlights; 01/01/21 11:19 PM.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

That's great to hear. How long would you say was your playthrough? Also as for your new character post a screenshot. I love seeing people's characters.:)

Sorry, just saw your post. I just finished my firs tplaythrough - I wanted to defeat the spider matriarch before going to the end of EA, because that for me is the toughest fight and I wanted to do it. I did it today (second try - yay) and finished my first playthrough with maybe 30 hours. My second playthrough is a bit more thorough and is more than 30 hours already. In my first playthrough, I messed the owlbear for example, and the harpies and some other stuff.

I posted my rogue in the SHare pictures thread - from what I have seen, you have found it, saw your characters tehre, really nice smile. But if you like, here she is:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can only reach level 4 so far. I had that on my first playthrough after the gobbo camp, now I had it even before, because I explored more and did get more stuff done - for example I killed the first spider and Ettercap group in the Whispering Depths really soon in the game, that gave a lot of experience (I accidently started the fight, I just wanted to get the loot in the beginning of that area).

Have fun with the game. I myself have tons of fun.

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger

Sorry, just saw your post. I just finished my firs tplaythrough - I wanted to defeat the spider matriarch before going to the end of EA, because that for me is the toughest fight and I wanted to do it. I did it today (second try - yay) and finished my first playthrough with maybe 30 hours. My second playthrough is a bit more thorough and is more than 30 hours already. In my first playthrough, I messed the owlbear for example, and the harpies and some other stuff.

I posted my rogue in the SHare pictures thread - from what I have seen, you have found it, saw your characters tehre, really nice smile. But if you like, here she is:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can only reach level 4 so far. I had that on my first playthrough after the gobbo camp, now I had it even before, because I explored more and did get more stuff done - for example I killed the first spider and Ettercap group in the Whispering Depths really soon in the game, that gave a lot of experience (I accidently started the fight, I just wanted to get the loot in the beginning of that area).

Have fun with the game. I myself have tons of fun.

Thank you for answering my questions. I am about 18 hours in with my first character the Seldarine Drow Wizard. I am now heading to the Goblin camp I also recruited a new companion Wyl. He seems nicer than the others. At least he cares about the Tiefling children.

Your character looks great by the way.

I am having loads of fun as well. Thank you for recommending me this game.:)

Last edited by Talyn82; 02/01/21 12:51 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard