Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
OP Offline
Y
Since this is a DnD game that is revolving around the dice. I personally would love seeing the dice roll results in a little window box, maybe right under the compass during battle. I'm not saying I want to see an actual animation of dice rolling, but just the results pop up. I like seeing the numbers as I always keep the log open to see the results. But its kind of annoying that to see the results currently is such a small tooltip. Its like "there it is, if you wanted to see it". It should be "if you wanted to see it, let's show em proudly". Because ya know, it is a dice rolling game.

What do you guys think?

veteran
veteran
I'd like a small display to be optionally available for any time dice are rolled - and optionally to stop it from being such a big interruption and immersion breaker during dialogue as a result of being more subtle.

More than that, though, I'd really like it if the event log was first made more robust and complete, to actually show everything that's happening, rather than just some of it some of the time.

L
addict
addict
L
Totally agree. You’re right about it being a game about dice, hence the little cutscenes when you roll a 20 etc. I think if people saw the actual rolls they would be less inclined to consider the misses unfair or rigged too.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
More than that, though, I'd really like it if the event log was first made more robust and complete, to actually show everything that's happening, rather than just some of it some of the time.

Oh, I'm 100% on board with that. The current combat log isn't useless, far from it, but it isn't as useful as it could be.

I'd like there to be an option to see the results of the roll in the log directly, instead of having to hover over some words (and have to figure out which words in the first place) to see the rolls. That would be more information, potentially too much in some cases, but there could be an option for how much information we want to combat log to provide. This is pure text, I doubt it would be costly to code.

veteran
veteran
Absolutely want to see how I'm rolling.

I don't want the combat to slow down, I just want to see quick dice rolls somewhere when I attack or do a skill check.

The dice explain how advantage / disadvantage works. And it's just better to see the miserable rolls of 1 and 2 when you fail a 94% advantage shot. Or to see how you rolled, period. It gives you some feedback how you did other than just fail / succeed.

They show the attack percentage twice on the screen. Why? The percentage on the left should be the dice rolls instead.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by 1varangian

I don't want the combat to slow down, I just want to see quick dice rolls somewhere when I attack or do a skill check.

The dice explain how advantage / disadvantage works. And it's just better to see the miserable rolls of 1 and 2 when you fail a 94% advantage shot. Or to see how you rolled, period. It gives you some feedback how you did other than just fail / succeed.

They show the attack percentage twice on the screen. Why? The percentage on the left should be the dice rolls instead.

Assuming they’re going to persist in showing you the percentage to hit at all (which is a whole other conversation, most DM’s wouldn’t tell you your hit chance), I’d rather see an option for a target dice roll over the enemy’s head than a percentage calculation. The target roll could also indicate whether you’re getting adv/disadv.

Banned
Banned
Don't just make it the result.
Make it also to see how high our roll needed to be in order to have it go through!

I had like... uff 8 times now in which I approached the Underdark beach where the Duergar hide it out.
The perception roll there is either super crazy, or my general luck was Abyssmal there. (>"badum dish"<)
Feelt so wierd for me to have them actually noticed.

I suppose it is a Wisdom check? Cause only Sassyheart got it right, at lvl.4 and with the Helmet that improves Wisdom safes.

Y
OP Offline
Y
I hardly look at the percentage score for any validation in my hits. I only look to make sure I'm situated correctly for backstabs and high ground advantages, and likewise to check my disadvantages.

And like 1var said, no need to show actually dice animations and cause the pace of battle to slow down. Just show me my darn dice so I can rage properly at seeing my crappy dice rolls haha. Just seeing the "miss" text is so underwhelming and lacking in depth of what really happened behind the screen. Just present me the dice and I'll accept the heart of the dice and attack results for what they are, and happily ready myself for the next move.

Come on Larian! Give us the visual goods!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

Assuming they’re going to persist in showing you the percentage to hit at all (which is a whole other conversation, most DM’s wouldn’t tell you your hit chance), I’d rather see an option for a target dice roll over the enemy’s head than a percentage calculation. The target roll could also indicate whether you’re getting adv/disadv.

If they want to hide the percentage, they also need to remove the all-powerful examine where you can see everyone's exact stats including AC. So that calculating doesn't only become more tedious.

I would like a bestiary where you can slowly learn monster stats based on experience and lore skills. I could still live without seeing the percentage, but then seeing the dice rolls would be even more important so that you can learn what the AC is. Maybe after you learn the targets stats they could show the % or a "target number" like in dialogue checks.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

If they want to hide the percentage, they also need to remove the all-powerful examine where you can see everyone's exact stats including AC. So that calculating doesn't only become more tedious.

I would like a bestiary where you can slowly learn monster stats based on experience and lore skills. I could still live without seeing the percentage, but then seeing the dice rolls would be even more important so that you can learn what the AC is. Maybe after you learn the targets stats they could show the % or a "target number" like in dialogue checks.

I’m with you on that. In 5E there’s a feature for battlemaster fighters called Know Your Enemy, which after obvserving the enemy before combat gives you SOME of that information. I’d be happy not knowing all the details up front, perhaps a ‘tactician mode’ can follow D&D a bit more closely in that regard.

Last edited by LukasPrism; 15/12/20 08:21 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard