Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I think that would be an interesting feature for the Japanese version of the game. In the scene when Minthara says that the Absolute demands our death, a character who follows the path of a samurai must volunteer to perform hara-kiri in order to maintain his honor and show his loyalty. (and be stopped by Minthara)

Bushido, samurai code of chivalry. If the samurai faithfully served his Master, and the Master wants him to die, then in order to preserve his honor the samurai should be given the right to commit suicide personally.

This form of suicide was committed either by sentence, as a punishment, or voluntarily (in cases where the honor of a warrior was affected, as a sign of loyalty to his Master, and in other similar cases) By performing hara-kiri, samurai demonstrated their courage in the face of pain and death and the purity of their thoughts before Gods and people.

I think it would be a very epic scene in the game if such an option was available in the dialogue, and Minthara at the last moment decided to save us and knocked the dagger out of our hands.

Sales of the game in Japan would have grown, many media would have written about this possibility.

[Linked Image]

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I also think a d20 roll should be given on behalf of Minthara. When she tries to stop the Main Character's suicide for glory to the Absolute.

Or, she can heal us or use the Resurrection scroll.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
I
old hand
old hand
I
Why? Is the Absolute the rightful ruler of the PC? No. So why should his demands matter?

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I don't think sales would go up in Japan if the option to commit suicide were in the game. That’s just silly to say the least.

Banned
Banned
Anata wa watashi o nattoku sa semashita.
Meiyo o torimodosu tame ni seppuku o shimasu!

>slices my belly open
>dying sounds in japanese

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
Anata wa watashi o nattoku sa semashita.
Meiyo o torimodosu tame ni seppuku o shimasu!

>slices my belly open
>dying sounds in japanese

Haha not bad. Almost like anime

I'm not sure about increasing sales of the game, but I'm sure that if you give the option of dialogue with a proposal to commit suicide in Japan, many players will choose it. We, Europeans, cannot understand this, but such is the Eastern culture, such is the way of the ninja. If, after all that we have done for the Absolute, after a night of love with Minthara, the Absolute demands our death, we can save Minthara from the need to experience pangs of conscience and commit hara-kiri in person to prove his intentions.

The player will show his fortitude and determination, and will show that he is stronger than Minthara (!)
Our fortitude is stronger. I think Minthara will be impressed by such a samurai who is full of contempt for death.
I think all companions will be shocked, and only our samurai will remain calm and cold-blooded.

"For the Absolute!" - such will be his last words if Minthara fails d20

enthusiast
enthusiast
This presupposes that the main character considers the Absolute to be their legitimate master - which means they also made a decision to leave their old master, which would be dishonorable in itself.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
This presupposes that the main character considers the Absolute to be their legitimate master - which means they also made a decision to leave their old master, which would be dishonorable in itself.
Who was the old master? There is no information about this in the game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If they are a samurai they have a master. Even the top samurai are loyal to a lord or the Shogun, and then to the Emperor above them. As the Absolute is not a vassal of the Emperor, it would be extreme dishonor. You don't need to know who to know they exist and it isn't the Absolute.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
If they are a samurai they have a master. Even the top samurai are loyal to a lord or the Shogun, and then to the Emperor above them. As the Absolute is not a vassal of the Emperor, it would be extreme dishonor. You don't need to know who to know they exist and it isn't the Absolute.
Hmm, I meant that the Japanese player will act like a samurai in their game decisions. Moreover, his character will not be a samurai, this is not canonical, there is no such thing in the lore of the game.

The Absolute demands my death and are you sorry? Ok, I am ready to commit suicide personally, so that you do not feel pangs of conscience, and to prove my loyalty. Give me a dagger!

Why not? It's a psychic attack and a psychic victory ... or death. It is very foolish to kill a strong and useful character who is ready to kill himself at your order, so the character must be stopped at the last moment. Perhaps not only Minthara but also the Absolute will be impressed.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
When i said it was silly I meant offensive as in saying that it would sell more in Japan if the player could commit suicide. That’s just wrong.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I'm not sure about increasing sales of the game, but I'm sure that if you give the option of dialogue with a proposal to commit suicide in Japan, many players will choose it. We, Europeans, cannot understand this, but such is the Eastern culture, such is the way of the ninja.
I don’t know, I think of suicide every day.

Also, ninja, really?

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I think he's watched too many Hollywood movies

enthusiast
enthusiast
Um....so the absolute demands his death - and the newly sworn character says okey dokey? That's not a Samuai ...that's a Fanatic.

Fanatics are generally good for one purpose - cannon fodder, and low level leadership over said fodder. They are NOT useful in middle or upper level management.

You never see the leader of fanatical organizations lead from the front - they are always tucked away safely in a cave somewhere.

And I suspect Japan would still have issues okaying a game where a kid can play a suicidal character - heck, many countries have laws against children in PC games being killed.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Anfindel
Um....so the absolute demands his death - and the newly sworn character says okey dokey? That's not a Samuai ...that's a Fanatic.

Fanatics are generally good for one purpose - cannon fodder, and low level leadership over said fodder. They are NOT useful in middle or upper level management.

You never see the leader of fanatical organizations lead from the front - they are always tucked away safely in a cave somewhere.

And I suspect Japan would still have issues okaying a game where a kid can play a suicidal character - heck, many countries have laws against children in PC games being killed.

The game has a rating of 18+, if a child plays an ordinary character there is dismemberment of bodies, tadpoles crawling into the eyes, brutal murders, cannibalism and sex scenes - is this normal, and suicide is not normal?

Yes. Perhaps you are right and this is a fanatic and not a samurai. Kamikaze in World War II are also fanatics.
It's just that if you add the ability to commit suicide to the game, this scene in the story is the best place at the moment. I personally wouldn't pick this option, but it's a fun roleplaying feature

Link Copied to Clipboard