Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
veteran
veteran
S
Yes you dont need one eal time hour because it would be ANNOYING
you know what also would be annoying? Loadscreens all the time and tiny maps with very little things on them.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sordak
you know what also would be annoying? Loadscreens all the time and tiny maps with very little things on them.
This

Fun>realism any day of the week.

Lover of non-haughty elves and non-smutty lesbian romance
"1404. I will not spoil the adventure's mandatory ambush by using the cheesy tactic of a "scout"." - From "Things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed to do in a (tabletop) RPG"
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

"All the time" is very subjective and depend your vision... But anyway.

I was talking about the scale of the map... you just take the sentences out of context and forget to think.
Why would you walk for 1 hour ? Doesn't this game include fast travel ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 19/12/20 02:08 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I really don't agree with you about the scale of the world.

The game is real time when it's up to movement whatever the (missing) in game clock is saying.

A usual character run at +-10km/h and our characters are running in real time. Let's say 7 or 8 because they're not running really fast.

You don't need 1 real time hour in game to go from one side of the map to another with real time running characters so no... The map is absolutely not as big as you imagine it is.

And in BG1/2 I could cross an entire "zone" in under 30 seconds - no relevance to scale.

In the Druids Grove, look at the number/size of trees, outcroppings, terrain features, caves, rooms, tents etc....it's a fairly large area - to fit your perception of Act 1 covering just 1 or 2 km, Druids Grove would be the size of a small house and yard - a half acre or so.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by zyr1987
This

Fun>realism any day of the week.

Speaking of fun, I discovered a hilarious/buggy way to kill the minotaurs today.

If you don't disable the gate defenses in the Selune temples, you can simply lure the minotaurs in and have the magic towers deal with them. The towers defenses are currently broken - they shoot in real time, not turns - meaning if you just wait and do not pass your turn, the minotaur will get stuck in turn based mode while it gets gunned down in real time.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Anfindel
I really don't agree with you about the scale of the world.

The game is real time when it's up to movement whatever the (missing) in game clock is saying.

A usual character run at +-10km/h and our characters are running in real time. Let's say 7 or 8 because they're not running really fast.

You don't need 1 real time hour in game to go from one side of the map to another with real time running characters so no... The map is absolutely not as big as you imagine it is.

And in BG1/2 I could cross an entire "zone" in under 30 seconds - no relevance to scale.

In the Druids Grove, look at the number/size of trees, outcroppings, terrain features, caves, rooms, tents etc....it's a fairly large area - to fit your perception of Act 1 covering just 1 or 2 km, Druids Grove would be the size of a small house and yard - a half acre or so.

Maps in the old BG are small, I think no one ever said something else... But there a way more maps than in BG3 and you travel between them.

You never see what's between maps and that's why the world feels consistent.
You just explore small areas everywhere on the swordcoast... You don't explore the only 1km2 where everything is...

You really have a problem with scale...
The scale of every room is fine if you look at characters and items. But if you have to walk 30 sec in real time to cross a forest, whatever the size of the trees this forest is still only maximum 75m long.

The scale of everything is fine if you consider things individualy. But the world is still very small and every events are one upon the others.

The goblins unable to find the grove is the most representative and concrete exemple about the size of the map problematic and why it does not look really consistent.

That said you can live with that... But even the story has inconsistencies because of it wink

Last edited by Maximuuus; 20/12/20 02:06 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
veteran
veteran
S
i think you have a problem with beeing nostalgic.
you call something good when in reality it was annoying.

CRPGs are not known for their realism or their world simulation.

small unconnected maps are fine for stuff like FFT. in CRPGs they ofthen mean loadscreens.

The only way i would enjoy this if it were like NWN2s second expansion that actually had an overland map and as a result gave rangers something to do.
Traveling on a map between small bite sized maps simply so your immersion isnt ruined is ridiculous.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I'm okay with most of the scale, but I do agree the Grove location could've been done better. This one is particularly important because believing that it's "not easily found" is fundamental to the Goblin/Grove (in particular evil) storyline making sense. And right now I am suspending my disbelief for this.

IMO, a simple change would be enough. I.e. have the interior of the grove pushed out to be a separate area (similar to how the Underdark is in the same map, but a different area).

Instead of having it being the literal gate of the grove you stumble on, make that the "pathway" to the forest which leads to the grove.

Just needs a minor adjustment to the story - the tieflings + Wyll were camping at the edge of the forest to wait for Halsin (instead of guarding the gates - they wanted to talk to him ASAP due to Kagha). Kanon will still die, but just differently.

This alone will give the area scale, and add secrecy to the Groves location.

Last edited by Topgoon; 20/12/20 06:57 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

small unconnected maps are fine for stuff like FFT. in CRPGs they ofthen mean loadscreens.

The only way i would enjoy this if it were like NWN2s second expansion that actually had an overland map and as a result gave rangers something to do.
Traveling on a map between small bite sized maps simply so your immersion isnt ruined is ridiculous.

Pay attention you're condescending again wink
Annoying for you is not annoying for everyone and once again... Even if it's not really the thread (there are connections) turn your imagination ON.

In the old games you stayed something like 30min to 1h/maps. I never said that would have been good for BG3. There is a big difference between loading screens every 30min and every 8 hours...

Try to think about something else, I'm sure you can do it wink

Last edited by Maximuuus; 21/12/20 07:47 AM.

journeyman
journeyman

Annoying for you is not annoying for everyone and once again... Even if it's not really the thread (there are connections) turn your imagination ON.

In the old games you stayed something like 30min to 1h/maps. I never said that would have been good for BG3. There is a big difference between loading screens every 30min and every 8 hours...

Are you spending a half hour on every map, every time? The majority of maps, the majority of the time? Or just the most currently relevant ones some of the time? Because I recall spending mere minutes (if that) on certain maps. Usually those I was just passing through to get elsewhere or just popping in to do some shopping or drop off a quest. Plus the random encounters create at least two loadscreens (one to get into the encounter map, one to get out), and that adds up as well.

Last edited by zyr1987; 21/12/20 07:55 AM. Reason: expand a sentence a bit

Lover of non-haughty elves and non-smutty lesbian romance
"1404. I will not spoil the adventure's mandatory ambush by using the cheesy tactic of a "scout"." - From "Things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed to do in a (tabletop) RPG"
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by zyr1987

Are you spending a half hour on every map, every time? The majority of maps, the majority of the time? Or just the most currently relevant ones some of the time? Because I recall spending mere minutes (if that) on certain maps. Usually those I was just passing through to get elsewhere or just popping in to do some shopping or drop off a quest. Plus the random encounters create at least two loadscreens (one to get into the encounter map, one to get out), and that adds up as well.

I usually clean all the fog of war.
Sometimes it's a few minutes because there are many empty maps... Sometimes it's a lot more.

Loading screens are boring when it's too often... Look at Kingmaker that has many sloooooowww loading screens (even with a good computer).

Non one complaint about loading screen when it's not too often.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 21/12/20 09:12 AM.

stranger
stranger
I don't think the correct question is "What are two minotaurs doing in the Underdark?"

I think the correct question is "What are so many Drow doing on the surface, being not-evil?"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard