Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Peranor
Oh yeah "boo hoo I have no self control and keep ruining my game experience for myself by save scumming all the time even though I do not want to do that, so now I want to remove that option for every one else in this single player game".

But sure, Larian can add some kind of savescumming prevention mechanics if they want. As long as it is an option. For example one that I select when I create my character. And once it's enabled you can't disable it other than starting over with a new caracter.

I like to play at least one run where I stick to the plan. I don’t cheese and I avoid save scumming. I don’t pickpocket if my characters normally wouldn’t. I try to play it straight.

But afterwards I like to mess around. Break stuff and go nuts. That’s the beauty of single player games. So I don’t even want it as an option because the option already exists. It exists with the player.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by DarkRob316
Is he though? His point is exactly that it doesn't affect balance at all unless YOU, the player make it so. In other words, if you don't pick pocket at all it is literally not in the game. No enemies, NPC's or anyone else in the game will pickpocket you, anyone in your party, or anyone else in the game on their own.

It only happens if you do it. It's a mechanic entirely within the players control, and therefore can be disregarded without any fear of it being used against you in the game.

That's entirely different than say, questioning the way height advantage works. Because a player could just stroll directly into the blighted village, fail some die rolls and be sniped out by the goblins on the rooftops.(or some such other encounter)

Do you see the difference? Pickpocketing, like save scumming, is a player choice, it's something only the player does, and if you choose not to then it simply doesn't exist in the game.

I think what alot of you are talking about is self discipline. Essentially you are saying, if it's there, you cannot resist the urge. That's fine, and it would be a valid argument. It would also be a more honest one than hiding behind this "balance" thing, because you for some reason fear that admitting you don't have the self control not to do it would make you appear weak.

I don't necessarily think that's the case, but let's all at least be honest here. This is an issue of self control, not balance.

Wrong. A game must be balanced around what is possible and not around the expectations that the player will not use certain options available to him.
When pickpocketing is possible it means the game must still work when the player pickpockets everything instead of becoming completely unbalanced, even if that means some entitled players whine that they can't have easy mode (besides setting the game to easy).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ixal
Wrong. A game must be balanced around what is possible and not around the expectations that the player will not use certain options available to him.
When pickpocketing is possible it means the game must still work when the player pickpockets everything instead of becoming completely unbalanced, even if that means some entitled players whine that they can't have easy mode (besides setting the game to easy).

Ummm.. no it doesn't. It can balance around what is normal and ignore that players can do these things. Just don't do those things.

S
addict
addict
S

If the game requires you to pickpocket repeatedly to be successful or complete the game then I understand your frustration. But if it doesn’t make a major impact then I don’t see the balancing issue.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Is he though? His point is exactly that it doesn't affect balance at all unless YOU, the player make it so. In other words, if you don't pick pocket at all it is literally not in the game. No enemies, NPC's or anyone else in the game will pickpocket you, anyone in your party, or anyone else in the game on their own.

It only happens if you do it. It's a mechanic entirely within the players control, and therefore can be disregarded without any fear of it being used against you in the game.

That's entirely different than say, questioning the way height advantage works. Because a player could just stroll directly into the blighted village, fail some die rolls and be sniped out by the goblins on the rooftops.(or some such other encounter)

Do you see the difference? Pickpocketing, like save scumming, is a player choice, it's something only the player does, and if you choose not to then it simply doesn't exist in the game.

I think what alot of you are talking about is self discipline. Essentially you are saying, if it's there, you cannot resist the urge. That's fine, and it would be a valid argument. It would also be a more honest one than hiding behind this "balance" thing, because you for some reason fear that admitting you don't have the self control not to do it would make you appear weak.

I don't necessarily think that's the case, but let's all at least be honest here. This is an issue of self control, not balance.

But pickpocketing in and of itself is not broken. I fail pickpockets all the time. It's when you combine it with reloading your saves that the issue becomes what you have a problem with.

Reloading saves has and will probably always be a thing. I think you're just gonna have to live with it dude. Because as long as you can reload saves, there will be people farming pickpocketing. Even if you reduce the chances of a successful pickpocket, people will still farm it. That's just video games man.

What people here are trying to tell you is that it need not affect YOUR game personally. You just need to excerise some self control.

Or like I suggested earlier, have two games going at once. One where you play it straight, and one where you give in to your exploitative impulses.

Other than that, I think you're out of luck.

Sorry.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Limit pickpocketing in general through multiple methods IMO. Generally speaking, it's not a very compelling action to take in D&D, and not being able to steal a person's entire inventory would be a start. Limit it to things that you could reasonably take and limit it by the reactions of your companion characters, maybe some don't care but honestly who wants to be grouping with an outright thief? Obviously there are some exceptions in terms of particular quests or characters but in general when you're playing anything but an evil campaign in D&D (which are fraught with problems themselves) your PCs don't like it when other PCs steal.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Originally Posted by Ankou
I always wonder, people that want this kind of thing which is purely a disciplinary type measure that shouldn't effect you if you just don't do it, given Larian has limited time and resources to design the game, which features would you like to see not added just to handcuff the players? Is this more important to you than, say, Dragonborn being included as a playable race?
Well to be fair, if we can exclude dragonborn, then I'm okay with limiting picpocket and savescumming because dragonborn are as cringe as goblins.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Bergtau
Limit pickpocketing in general through multiple methods IMO. Generally speaking, it's not a very compelling action to take in D&D, and not being able to steal a person's entire inventory would be a start. Limit it to things that you could reasonably take and limit it by the reactions of your companion characters, maybe some don't care but honestly who wants to be grouping with an outright thief? Obviously there are some exceptions in terms of particular quests or characters but in general when you're playing anything but an evil campaign in D&D (which are fraught with problems themselves) your PCs don't like it when other PCs steal.

Yea but you don't need to steal their entire inventory. Just their gold, over and over and over again. And then you just buy whatever you want from them with their own gold.

Also the rest of your party only seem to approve/disapprove during dialog options or sometimes during cutscenes. I've never seen them do it during actual gameplay. I'm not sure they can. Also, even if they could, since you control the entire party you could simply move them all away where they can't see what's going on and they'd never know what you did.

It may not be as simple as flipping a few lines of code and voila.

Also, I think most of us would agree, there's far more important things for Larian to be focusing on.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Yea but you don't need to steal their entire inventory. Just their gold, over and over and over again. And then you just buy whatever you want from them with their own gold.

Also the rest of your party only seem to approve/disapprove during dialog options or sometimes during cutscenes. I've never seen them do it during actual gameplay. I'm not sure they can. Also, even if they could, since you control the entire party you could simply move them all away where they can't see what's going on and they'd never know what you did.

It may not be as simple as flipping a few lines of code and voila.

Also, I think most of us would agree, there's far more important things for Larian to be focusing on.

Oh I have no doubt that pickpocketing can be broken in the game currently, I'm saying that I'd be fine if they mostly scrapped it entirely, or added caveats to make it generally unappealing to do even if you succeed. There's already enough brokenness with how rampantly you're able to steal without consequences in many areas of the game.

I
old hand
old hand
I
But pickpocketing in and of itself is not broken.

In its current implementation it is, save scumming or not.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Bruh
Well to be fair, if we can exclude dragonborn, then I'm okay with limiting picpocket and savescumming because dragonborn are as cringe as goblins.

Heh. I agree. It’s a good compromise. I can’t stand dragonborn.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
But pickpocketing in and of itself is not broken.

In its current implementation it is, save scumming or not.

No because without save scumming you will get caught. I get caught all the time. I just don't have to face the consequences because I immediately reload.

To be perfectly honest I don't even know what the consequences are because anytime I've gotten caught, I just immediately reload. Might be interesting to see what the consequences actually are.

Either way, since you will get caught, it can't be broken without save scumming.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't object to the implementation of game appropriate mechanics on stealing - if the designers want to limit pickpocketing a merchant to just pocket change and smaller items, while placing big ticket inventory behind a locked chest, guarded by Ninja's, and give you the opportunity to sneak past the ninjas, disarm and lockpick the safe and sneak away, or get caught and have the shit hit the fan, that's fine. In fact, Pillars of Eternity among other games had such mechanics to a certain extent.

What I DO object to is someone saying "because I don't want to steal, but can't refrain from stealing, it shouldn't be allowed for anyone, so I don't have to deal with the self conflict.

If I'm playing a Paladin, I'm not going to take advantage of ANY stealing mechanic, because it is not in character. If I decide to play an Urban Security Expert (read sticky fingered thief) I may try and steal the shoes off your feet.

Either way, it's MY choice, not anyone else's.

That is one of the defining differences between single player and multi player gaming.

And even then, I know plenty of MUD's where folk steal anything that isn't nailed down, whether it be from NPC merchants or fellow players. Again, your choice whether to participate in that game or not.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The real issue is the economy in this game is so screwed up it encourages theft. If there were ways to earn money to buy the exorbitantly expensive items that didn't involve hoarding enormous amounts of junk and carrying them all over Faerun people wouldn't have the pressure to steal and save scum.

G
addict
addict
G
What if we just get rid of items?

veteran
veteran
If there was some topic that deserved lock ... it is this one. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
The real issue is the economy in this game is so screwed up it encourages theft. If there were ways to earn money to buy the exorbitantly expensive items that didn't involve hoarding enormous amounts of junk and carrying them all over Faerun people wouldn't have the pressure to steal and save scum.

Hmmm...some might note that is a mirror image of certain real world economies....

I am not sure as to your assertion that the economy is screwed up to the point that it encourages having to resort to pickpocketing or thievery.
Do you realize how much gold you can amass easily in EA Act1?
I always take Urchin on my lone solo character builds, and going on nearly 600 hours of playing EA BG3, I only resort to pickpocketing when I want a specific item. For example, I always, always raid (depending upon solo build I am running at the time) the Druid's Grove Halfling trader (the first one you get to when you enter Druid's Grove) to get Dragon's Grasp, or as another example, Hitting Volo up before he heads off to the Goblin Camp to get captured for his Blessing ring. Other than those few items, I have NO problemo at all with accumulating gold to buy whatever else I need or require for a particular build or character. But yeah, I am also not decking out 3 other party members either. But even when running a full party, gold or the accumulation of gold should not be an issue for anyone that has done more than one playthrough.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by gametester1
I understand that as a developer you cannot prevent every single game breaking possibility and you should allow a level of freedom to players because everyone plays differently. However, pickpocketing in this game currently feels very OP. Its almost game breaking. Perhaps if you were able to implement something that deterred save scumming all-together it would solve an array of issues. If you are not able to do so, please consider making stealing a more difficult process. Currently its immersion breaking and it basically requires no investment in any particular abilities. You just need a rogue and base proficiency in sleight of hand to steal 90% of items.

NO, thank you! We are good.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I still don't understand how something can be game breaking if it only happens when a player (ab-)uses it and it affects only his/her game.

Save scumming for pick pocketing and skill checks are controllable by the player - no additional feature needed. Contrary to barrelmancy/unbalanced combat mechanics AI can't affect it and the game isn't balanced around it. Even in multiplayer you have the power to force your players to stick to agreed upon rules. Blocking people that you will never meet from doing something that can't affect you sounds - unnecessary? The very same people that would abuse it to this degree that it breaks the game are the very same people that would use cheats or mods to make the game easier for them - do we need now a solution for mods to not make a game easier? Does this somehow elevate your skills as a player? Make your own achievements meaningful knowing its harder for other to cheat?

I'm sorry, but to me - as long as you have a minimal amount of self disciplin - this isn't an issue that should waste Larian's resrouces.

Last edited by biomag; 27/12/20 10:26 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard