Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
endolex Offline OP
OP Offline
I had hoped with the last patch that cleaned up the proficiency summary, they would have addressed the following:

According to PHB, if you gain a skill from your Origin, and the same skill from your Race, you can freely choose another skill instead.
For instance, if you pick Wood Elf (get stealth proficiency) and Criminal (get stealth proficiency), you should be able to pick something other than stealth when picking Criminal as your Origin.

The way the game handles it right now, this overlap is ignored, and you effectively just lose a skill point when you have overlap. Please fix.

Last edited by endolex; 22/12/20 05:53 PM.
addict
addict
Obvious +1 here.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Where in the PHB does it say that? I never found that rule.

addict
addict
On p125, paragraph "Proficiencies" (that's in the Backgrounds section of chapter 4).

It says : "If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead."

So if you're a Wood Elf and your background is Criminal, instead of gaining proficiency with the skill Stealth a second time, you can pick any other skill.

S
addict
addict
S
+1 for me as well.

I avoided certain backgrounds due to the penalty of overlap.

M
stranger
stranger
M
OMG 2 years in. No solution still????

old hand
old hand
+1

P
P
Agreed. Curious though about one thing. If you're a warlock and have persuade as a skill and take the beguiling speech invocation at lvl up, which grants proficiency in persuasion and deception, what would/should happen? Would you be able to pick a different related skill, would it stack, or would you just get the proficiency in deception and no benefit for persuade?

veteran
veteran
The warlock invocation is a little less friendly, unfortunately - you don't get a free reasign with it because you can trade out that same invocation later. It's one of those invocations you should try to decide whether you're taking in advance, so you don't short yourself.

It's quite disappointing that they still haven't rectified this much reported issue with the double up and loss in character creation though. If anyone has reported it recently, I'd be interested to hear what Larian's official word on it is, in their bug report responses.

W
stranger
stranger
W
+1

S
stranger
stranger
S
Big agree too, I totally expected it to let you just shift overlapping points where they occur but as of right now even if you can respec characters, it is very difficult to predict or plan around not accidentally overlapping them and the game also doesn't warn you about it so you could potentially lose a crazy amount of skills just because of that

Link Copied to Clipboard