Print Thread
#746507 23/12/20 07:42 PM
B
Bergtau Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I've played the game so far, however I have had my share of struggles, most of those being with specific interactions with the world. I often found myself struggling to do what I actually wanted to do, whether that was moving to a specific place in a combat or just investigating an area. Some particular suggestions I have revolve around improving how players interface with the game, some are relatively simple but others I feel would require more complex solutions.

Combat. So far, it seems pretty good, especially for something that's in EA with a long road ahead. My particular concerns with this revolve around how easy it is to accidentally perform an action or movement, which I found myself doing often enough to be frustrating. The amount of times I ate an OA by mistake when trying to simply move around a person while staying engaged with them was fairly large. Part of this was due to inaccuracies in how the projected pathing was displayed (normally there's the little red spike for an OA and that wasn't showing every time) but some of it was also with using the same controls for different actions and having different default actions for interacting with different objects. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has blown myself up or at the very least damaged property because the default interaction for interacting with barrels of explosive/flammable material is to attack.

A specific mechanic I would also like to talk about is the "backstab" mechanic. It seems to give you advantage or some other such bonus to accuracy to be behind your opponent. I applaud the attempt here to make the combat more engaging, but I must protest the implementation in this case. This whole "backstab" thing encourages you to run circles around your enemy, or even jump across them to get behind them. This doesn't track logically, as not only should jumping across somebody's reach leave you more vulnerable to attack, but circling around somebody to get a better angle on them doesn't work in actual combat, and as far as I know, isn't how most people play D&D. The idea is that everybody is acting simultaneously and initiative is a measure of who reacts the most quickly. Obviously there are compromises to be made to prevent the game from breaking down into countless factorings and refactorings of how a person's simultaneous actions might influence another's, but has been done in this "backstab" mechanic is to go to the other extreme and pretend that a person is rooted between their turns and can't adequately defend themselves from a single person who gets the idea to casually walk around behind them. A "flanking" mechanic of sorts would be logical, as it is obviously harder to defend yourself against two attackers at a time, but let's get rid of this hard focus on facing please. And if there is a "flanking" mechanic, let's not have it be too overpowered or overly focused on melee, it still tracks logically for it to be harder to dodge a ranged attack while parrying a sword blow, or vice versa. There are a lot of ways to over-complicate things here and I would suggest avoiding any want of a protractor.

Jumping/disengaging, I feel need to actually be split up. Jumping seems like it should be part of movement and provoke as normal as disengaging being an actual decision you make. Could it be possible to jump and avoid provoking? Yes, if specific situations allowed for it, but currently the way that you can jump around in combat and you inherently don't provoke regardless of how silly your jump is (like jumping over somebody) just shouldn't be. Acrobatic jumps would seem to be indicated for those situations and require a check to avoid negative consequences. There's also no reason your ability to jump should be limited by the bonus action economy. Disengaging however does make sense as being limited by the action economy, and while it is an Action in the normal 5e action economy, I think that relegating it to a bonus action does make sense in the context of a video game, especially with how many things you have available to you as a bonus action that make it an actual trade off still.

Non-combat. I do like that checks such as perception or investigation are automatically made rather than requiring the player to manually investigate every 5 feet, but some of the ranges are out of whack. It seems as though we're being encouraged to hold left-click to move around places but doing so you will blow yourself up on traps constantly with how short the range on seeing them often is. The other issue with this left-click movement thing is that left-clicking is how you interact with too many things in the world. Interacting with another character in particular needs some other way to work, as nothing takes you out of the game more than seeing a building burn down around you as you accidentally start a conversation with one of your party. Looting and attacking present similar problems, it's no fun to piss off other characters accidentally looting their dead when trying to run or randomly shooting some crystal or spore or other doodad in the environment. Alt as a modifier is very nice for looting and I would suggest making it the exclusive way to loot, with right-clicking being required for other actions like speaking-to or attacking. Let's increase the range at which our characters can spot traps, or in places where things are incredibly close-quartered, find some other way to prevent ourselves from running over mines while simultaneously detecting them such as arresting player movement upon detecting a trap.

Marching order has too much emphasis and encourages save-scumming. This goes back to trap-detection a bit but also has relevance in NPC interactions. Let us always put our best foot forward, so to speak. If I'm to face a racist reaction to Lae'zel being a Githyanki, let me face that regardless of who is walking first. Base it on whether I have a Gith in my entire party, same goes for other unique interactions. I understand this could currently crowd up the dialogue options, but I also think that it would better suit the game to eliminate some of these as being options unless our unique player character meets the requirement. Maybe I can't get those Wizard options unless I'm a Wizard or I have Gale and he likes me enough.

Camera. Please for the love of god fix the camera, or at least how it interacts with things and how we interact with it. Middle-clicking to move the camera is terrible and leads to a lot of stop-and-go movement weirdness. Lots of other games have better ways to interact with/move the camera that you could take a cue from, I'm not going to pretend I know what's best but I certainly know that it's not BG3's current camera system.

Sorry if my feedback seems really negatively written, I really do like how well-executed a lot of the game is, especially on a lot of the actual combat stuff relating to spells and abilities. Many of them need specific choices to be made regarding them or else they'd be impossible to program (like the Command spell) and so far it looks like you've done a pretty good job with those.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I wouldn't mind a bit more of a walk through on the nautaloid. I didn't realize you could move boxes until I accidentally did it. Makes covering traps a ton easier. Basically the nautaloid should have you do or explain nearly every mechanic once. It IS the tutorial afterall.

B
Bergtau Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Genma
I wouldn't mind a bit more of a walk through on the nautaloid. I didn't realize you could move boxes until I accidentally did it. Makes covering traps a ton easier. Basically the nautaloid should have you do or explain nearly every mechanic once. It IS the tutorial afterall.

I don't mind it not shoving every mechanic in your face though. If they do add more tutorial, I'd like for it to be in ways that present themselves as challenges or flow naturally. At most provide instructions on how to move/throw objects but don't explicitly tell us what to do with them. Just set up some conveniently placed boxes for us to move around and cover vents, let the players discover that interaction for themselves. It can even be done as part of another, more obvious puzzle wherein we need to move a box to climb on and we "just happen" to cover up a trap with it. But definitely no hand-holding fairy telling us exactly what to do.

Link Copied to Clipboard