Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
a mistake #747546 28/12/20 02:08 PM
Banned
Banned
One of the upcoming companions will be Karlach, and she was some demon goddess' champion in hell or something. The trend will probably keep going, and like others have said it likely has something to do with those characters all potentially being the main character.

Having said that, the problem for me is that we're more or less dropped into their backstories headfirst into Act 1, and also that all of them somewhat feel like frauds. Like, Wyll's one no question asked, Lae'zel's the equivalent of a recruit and she's also way out of her depth, Astarion's merely the slave of the actual vampire, Gale the prodigy is a lvl 1 wizard(and probably won't make a crater if he dies), and all of them act like they're bigshots. What's the point of being fed from the get-go all of their flamboyant backstories if all of them are actually not really big deals?

Now that i think about it i probably like Shadowheart better because she's the only one that doesn't really have any of that going on.

Last edited by Innateagle; 28/12/20 02:13 PM.
Innateagle #747564 28/12/20 03:34 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Now that i think about it i probably like Shadowheart better because she's the only one that doesn't really have any of that going on.

Except...
Shadowheart is totally a Divine Chosen/Favoured Soul of Selune who has been kidnapped and brainwashed by Shar cultists and she literally shines with divine light

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Dexai #747578 28/12/20 04:05 PM
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Dexai

Except...
Shadowheart is totally a Divine Chosen/Favoured Soul of Selune who has been kidnapped and brainwashed by Shar cultists and she literally shines with divine light

Not too in the DnD lore, half-thought she was a brainwashed cleric of Selune. Either way not too sure i like her story going down that path.

But i was talking about the ego thing, and her backstory not being handed to us as fast as the others' (except Lae'zel)

Last edited by Innateagle; 28/12/20 04:07 PM.
VeronicaTash #747611 28/12/20 07:21 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
What I don't get is the deal with Gale having to consume magic items. How many does he have to consume and what happens if he does or if he doesn't consume x amount of magic items? And what about the sweet Vampire Astarion is he looking to cure himself of vampirism or is he ok with it?

He consorted with Mystra, was discarded, and sought out a piece of Mystral (whom was the previous incarnation of the deity) to return it to her so that he could prove his worth to her - but it was Netheril (sp?) magic caught in a small bit of extraplanar space residing in a book and he absorbed it. He must feed it the "weave" of these magic items lest it explode about equivalent to C4 - but magic. It adds a poor game mechanic to it and once other companions become available I may just kill Gale in the grove and leave him there to explode - presumably 2 days later.

Well, I would have to agree with you in regards to killing Gale sounds like a better option than him eating all the magic items we find. Also if It weren't for Astorian being the only thief I'd have killed him off when he attacked me

Dexai #747635 28/12/20 09:36 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dexai

Except...

It's on the heavy side so don't look if you really don't want to know. You have been warned. Any and all of it is subject to change and may have been changed already.

Actually I don't think that's true. She is valuable to the divine but according to some of the audio files and datamined content, she might be next in line to become the Nightsong. The current Nightsong is at odds with Shar's chosen. I think the Selunites see it as an opportunity to strike at Shar's plans if they can get Shadowheart. Apparently, at very least several groups are trying to kill the current Nightsong by my count. The current Nightsong knows Shar herself wants her to die and she is terrified(Shar has her own song that can override hers whatever that means). So Shar's chosen(possibly in addition to Shar herself), the Absolute, a group that hired the adventures, and Selunites. Maybe more I'm not sure. There is an ncp in her area located a ways from her that hires you to kill her. If you side with the Nightsong she can become a follower like Haslin.

Besides all that, her glow is still different and unknown and may be why she was chosen to be the next Nightsong in the first place. Pretty sure she uses it to kill Laezel if you side with her in their final confrontation.

I'm sure like half of this has probably changed already. A lot of placeholders too.

a mistake #747824 29/12/20 06:46 PM
stranger
stranger
I hope Larian doesn't change a thing regarding companions. I *LOVE* that the companions all have super interesting backstories and that their quests are just as important as the main quest. Why not? I'm here for the character interactions and original stories. I don't care about battle - I can kill things in any ol' game. Creating characters worth caring about is hard. And I am already totally invested in helping everyone. So I say WELL DONE. <3

Nyloth #747842 29/12/20 09:12 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Nyloth
To be honest, for me, the stories of the characters are often much more interesting than the main plot. And I'm pretty sure the DOS2 character stories were very similar. I mean, they were all important.

Some of us just want to adventure without having to play therapist to their companions.

I want this to be an ADVENTURE. Not a dramatization of group therapy.

Originally Posted by CoffeeMinx
I *LOVE* that the companions all have super interesting backstories and that their quests are just as important as the main quest.

The problem is that you need companions to fight your way through enemies. This puts the player into a situation where they are forced to interact with companions that not everyone loves. Honestly, I hate them all. Gale is at least tolerable but is still annoying as hell.

It's like I need to snap my fingers in their faces every five minutes. Guys, guys! Tadpoles. In our heads. FOCUS! Lets GO!

If Larian wanted to make things believable then the thought of imminent death could have been a catalyst for self reflection and missed opportunities; and how an early death will prevent them from fulfilling some greater purpose or desire. I can empathize with that. Instead we're given companions that have as much depth as a one-ply sheet of toilet paper and each come saddled with backstories that read more like a series of checkboxes rather than actual narrative.

Last edited by Tav22; 29/12/20 09:28 PM.
a mistake #747904 30/12/20 04:28 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tav22
Some of us just want to adventure without having to play therapist to their companions.

I want this to be an ADVENTURE. Not a dramatization of group therapy.

Play solo? You don't have to do your companions ' quests at all. This is your choice, you are not forced. But you'll lose certain content, and that's fine, because it's companions stories that give you that content.
Lae is very worried about the worm, you don't need to click your fingers for it. Wyll and Shadow, too. First of all, they worry about the worm, and only then about their personal problems.
Astarion and Gale were another matter. One of them is a walking bomb, and the other can become a slave again. I think for them, the worm is really not such a problem.

Even Halsin says that we HAVE TIME, and I don't want the game to constantly push me "Oh MY GOD, YOU're GOING TO DIE SOON", I think this is the wrong approach. I want to go through all the content evenly, and not run forward because of the worm.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
CoffeeMinx #747973 30/12/20 03:06 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CoffeeMinx
I hope Larian doesn't change a thing regarding companions. I *LOVE* that the companions all have super interesting backstories and that their quests are just as important as the main quest. Why not? I'm here for the character interactions and original stories. I don't care about battle - I can kill things in any ol' game. Creating characters worth caring about is hard. And I am already totally invested in helping everyone. So I say WELL DONE. <3
I agree very much with your overall abstract point about stories and character interactions. But I profoundly disagree about the companions being super interesting and being worth caring about. So where does that leave me? I don't like these companions and either want them changed or else additional companions who are the exact opposite of these companions, because with these companions I won't have a party of even four let alone six.

CoffeeMinx #748665 02/01/21 11:15 AM
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
You dont think its a problem that the famos hero Blade of frontiers is lvl 2? Or that he tries to hide hes a Warlock?
That is so stupid i scream at the scream.
Its like Edwin would try to hide hes a red wizard.

Big shot mystras exlover is worse mage then an apprentice but talks like hes freaking archmage, talking down to my char. Same level bro.

Hundres of years old vampire spawn lvl 2.
Cmon! Give atleast one companion whos a nobody, an apprentice a fresh recruit. Its a noob campaigne not freaking ToB.

Can we use gale as a tactical nuke?
Wounder if ee can sell back astarion to hes master? Atleast ill get some use out of them.

Wyll, nah just leave him in a ditch annoying and whiny anyway never looking at tje bigg picture.

I... live! Flesh and blood and bone! I am alive! Ha-ha! I swore I would scratch and crawl my way back into the world of the living... and I have done it!
a mistake #748667 02/01/21 11:42 AM
B
Banned
Banned
B
Oh man where do I even begin...
Did none of you realize that the Blade of the Frontiers is just a gag? The guy is literally a darker take on Joxer the Mighty from Xena the Warrior Princess. A comic relief character who tries to be badass but fails at every turn. Except our guy gets tired of it and turns to demonic assistance.

That being said using Gale as a tactical nuke is funny as fuck, hahaha, I mean at least that way he would actually be useful.
The only companions I hate so far are Lae and Gale, can't wait for them to add Karlach so I can kill her on sight. Tiefling scum deserve a blade in the back.

Last edited by Bruh; 02/01/21 11:42 AM.
Wyrmblade #748706 02/01/21 03:41 PM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Wyrmblade
You dont think its a problem that the famos hero Blade of frontiers is lvl 2? Or that he tries to hide hes a Warlock?
If you never heard about any "common folk hero" that was in fact completely incompetent ... you probably didnt pay much atention on history lessons. :-/

Big shot mystras exlover is worse mage then an apprentice but talks like hes freaking archmage, talking down to my char. Same level bro.
Level means ability to fight ... nothing more, nothing less ...
If Gale was arcanist until now, all he did was study ancient rituals, gliphs, and history ... yet he dont know Fireball, since he never needed it ...

If you are "same level bro" can you also summon being from completely another realm of existence to provide you extremely rare and expensive artefact to ressurect you? No? Can you at least speak his language as Gale do? Also no?
Oh well, in that case level probably isnt everything is it, bro? :P

Cmon! Give atleast one companion whos a nobody, an apprentice a fresh recruit. Its a noob campaigne not freaking ToB.
Hunderts years old vampire, who is noble man ... and whos all work was being invited to prominent parties, and there find someone stupid enough to follow him to his masters lair.

What experience you expect this person to have suitable for your adventure?
Noble connections, pretty face, taste for good vine, and possibly having stories from high-class events ...

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
RagnarokCzD #748710 02/01/21 04:11 PM
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Noble connections, pretty face, taste for good vine, and possibly having stories from high-class events ...

Razor sharp claws, strong, supernatural bite, regeneration, being much more durable than a mortal human, ability to drain enemies and heal at the same time, resistance against nonmagical attacks, ...

Last edited by Ixal; 02/01/21 04:14 PM.
RagnarokCzD #748722 02/01/21 04:49 PM
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
If you never heard about any "common folk hero" that was in fact completely incompetent ... you probably didnt pay much atention on history lessons. :-/

Level means ability to fight ... nothing more, nothing less ...
If Gale was arcanist until now, all he did was study ancient rituals, gliphs, and history ... yet he dont know Fireball, since he never needed it ...

If you are "same level bro" can you also summon being from completely another realm of existence to provide you extremely rare and expensive artefact to ressurect you? No? Can you at least speak his language as Gale do? Also no?
Oh well, in that case level probably isnt everything is it, bro? :P

Hunderts years old vampire, who is noble man ... and whos all work was being invited to prominent parties, and there find someone stupid enough to follow him to his masters lair.

I dont want them in my campaign at all this is a lowlevel campaign not suited for vampires and archmages.

When i play a lowlevel campaign i want to feel lowlevel.
I dont want an archmage in my party.
Look at the difference between bg1 and bg2.
Everything in bg1 is lowkey and a treath.

Bg2 is way more bombastic from the start.

It feels like they going for bg2 feeling and you cant do that without bg1.

So while i love the gameplay i see problems with the setting and just want it turned down a notch.

Also if gale was such a big hotshot mage im betting he got like uber connection back in baldurs gate so when we get back there we can get free artifacts and stuff. Spellbooks with all the lvl9 spells and millions of potions and scrolls.

It just feels weird ok.

I... live! Flesh and blood and bone! I am alive! Ha-ha! I swore I would scratch and crawl my way back into the world of the living... and I have done it!
Wyrmblade #748764 02/01/21 06:34 PM
B
Banned
Banned
B
Just kill him. It's ok.
I kill Lae and Gale all the time because I hate them, and it's not wrong because they are not real.

Bruh #748825 02/01/21 09:54 PM
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Bruh
Just kill him. It's ok.
I kill Lae and Gale all the time because I hate them, and it's not wrong because they are not real.

I actually don’t mind Lae. She’s not the nicest person but at least she’s direct and to the point. She has a goal and doesn’t want to deviate from it. I can respect that kind of purity in pursuit of a goal. Besides she’s a pretty good fighter.

Gale is all sorts of useless. He is constantly needing help because the mobs tend to target him and he destroys precious magic items. I killed him once and regretted though. Not because he’s dead but because his body and necrotic aura was in front of one of the waypoints. Next time I need him to move a little.

Larian may I suggest Gale be allowed to consume any magic item and not just the best ones? I really think people will avoid this guy once mercenaries are implemented.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 02/01/21 09:56 PM.
Wyrmblade #748867 03/01/21 01:10 AM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I dont want them in my campaign at all
Since Larian allready confrimed that we will be able to create our own custom party from the begining ... or hire mercenaries later, if we somehow manage to loose our companions (for example by falling to our sword ... multiple times) ...

I believe your complains in this topic are meaningless, since you shall be able to have exactly the experience you want.
Isnt that good news? smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 03/01/21 01:10 AM.

RagnarokCzD #748871 03/01/21 01:24 AM
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
I dont want them in my campaign at all
Since Larian allready confrimed that we will be able to create our own custom party from the begining ... or hire mercenaries later, if we somehow manage to loose our companions (for example by falling to our sword ... multiple times) ...

I believe your complains in this topic are meaningless, since you shall be able to have exactly the experience you want.
Isnt that good news? smile

Thats the problem its good. Its not excellent. Its Baldurs Gate.
I expected it to have intressting companions that made sense like the 2 originals.
I dont want a game thats a 7/10 but atleast a 9.5

Then we need a setting and tone that makes sense.
Vampires dont.
Tactical nuke mages dont.
Compare with Kivan thats a char that made sense.
Tiax thats an annoying as hell char but atleast funny to keep around.

a mistake #748875 03/01/21 01:47 AM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I understand you ... but that is pure individual opinion ...
Same as you dont like the idea of vampire spawn, or mage with condition that require him to consume magic ... i never quite fall in love with idea of berserker with hamster pet. Its funny, to be sure, but also quite odd. :-/

100 people, 100 tastes ...

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 03/01/21 01:48 AM.

RagnarokCzD #748940 03/01/21 10:58 AM
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
I understand you ... but that is pure individual opinion ...
Same as you dont like the idea of vampire spawn, or mage with condition that require him to consume magic ... i never quite fall in love with idea of berserker with hamster pet. Its funny, to be sure, but also quite odd. :-/

100 people, 100 tastes ...

But then you had option. There are 2 other rangers 3 other mages in bg1.

Why dont they just give Lae a reddragon mount from start aswell?
And SH is probably the in facto leader of church of Shar.

Do not compare a silly gimmick on one of ocer a dozen char to more then half of the ensamble being over powered lore wise but not game wise.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard