Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
Originally Posted by Kadajko
Do you think they are plants? Fungi? Very large bacteria?

I am using one of the definitions of the word ''animal'' from Cambridge dictionary which is ''something that lives and moves but is not a human'', only in this case I substitute the word human for ALL intelligent species of Faerun, dragons included.
There is a definition of the word ''animal'' that includes humans too, since humans are technically animals, but if I were to use that definition my point wouldn't make any sense, and typically when we use the word animal we don't mean humans.

It's basic biology.
I'm pretty sure D&D doesn't classify "animal" or "animalia" the way modern biologist do. Most non-humanoid creatures that has a higher intelligence score in D&D are usually considered magical creatures. In fact, much of biology as we know it wouldn't apply, because of special creation and the disregard for common barriers of reproduction. The Sorcerer class is a pretty explicit case of cross-species procreation that wouldn't be possible in real life.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Why has this animal not integrated into society and learned common language?
Because it already has - the society and common language of its species.

Regardless of official rules, I'd expect at least a few animals in any high fantasy setting to parallel humans in many ways, with their own realms, hierarchies, codes of conduct, and channels of communication. These socieities would be distinct from those of humanoids (or humanoid-adjacent species), and based on different biology, histories, and principles, and by their fundamentally different nature, they'd be nearly invisible to "ordinary" humans. The magical ability to speak with animals would just offer a window into those realms.

Granted, I wouldn't expect them to be all that complicated, but conversing with animals does seem to be a common fantasy staple.

Also, the following seems relevant. Maybe. At the very least, I'm shocked and saddened that no one else has posted it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TomReneth
Do you think they are plants? Fungi? Very large bacteria?

I am using one of the definitions of the word ''animal'' from Cambridge dictionary which is ''something that lives and moves but is not a human'', only in this case I substitute the word human for ALL intelligent species of Faerun, dragons included.
There is a definition of the word ''animal'' that includes humans too, since humans are technically animals, but if I were to use that definition my point wouldn't make any sense, and typically when we use the word animal we don't mean humans.

It's basic biology.
I'm pretty sure D&D doesn't classify "animal" or "animalia" the way modern biologist do. Most non-humanoid creatures that has a higher intelligence score in D&D are usually considered magical creatures. In fact, much of biology as we know it wouldn't apply, because of special creation and the disregard for common barriers of reproduction. The Sorcerer class is a pretty explicit case of cross-species procreation that wouldn't be possible in real life.

I mean Earthly biology has no concept of polymorphing magic, which is often the thing that enables dragons to mate with humanoids, creating half-dragons and later on draconic sorcerers. So, yeah I dont think scientific knowledge is very relevant in this discussion of fantasy tropes.

Last edited by spacehamster95; 14/09/21 03:10 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
... polymorphing magic, which is often the thing that enables dragons to mate with humanoids

I mean, if you're a coward, maybe ^.^

I dunno, Polymorph always squicked me a bit, and I'm sure dragon-daddy would be far happier and more comfortable in his natural form <.< >.>

veteran
veteran
You're making a dangerous assumption about who's polymorphing

That's a 'Gift of the Magi' D&D story I want to see

Last edited by Sozz; 14/09/21 08:34 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard