Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#748259 31/12/20 04:28 PM
fylimar Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Gale told me a while ago about his condition. In my first playthrough, he talked to me again, when I had a magical item in my possesion. Now he only tells me, that he needs to consume one soon, but I can't give him one. I have a few magical items in my possesion, for example Mintharas mace, a magical spear and a magical staff. Not to mention the headband, that gives you 18 intelligence (Gale is wearing that atm). But I can't give any of that to him to consume, the dialogue is not there. Are there only specific items, he can consume?
I only ask, because I don't want him to go nuclear in the middle of something. If I can ignore that in EA, I will happily do it.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
As per usual with the lack of meaning of "passing time" it doesn't affect much the game, except if you have him in te party and dies in the middle of a battle, in that case his corpse will start emanating necrotic aura (it took few battles to me to understand why my party had died even when winning the battle).

I don't know if he at some point decides to leave the camp.

[I don't have issues giving him artifacts, other blue items can give more interesting and useful skills, the one artifact I find difficult to give him is the longsword of the "Tyr follower"].

It has to be an item he specifically asks for or will tell you when you click on him.

Necromancy of Thay (but you have to have the gem found in the area around the Matriarch phase spider in which you insert into the Tome).
[Great]Sword of Justice (and you would be nuts to feed this to him).
Staff of Crones (found in depths of Hag's lair).
Amulet of Selune's Chosen (found in a locked area behind where Goblin leader Droz Ragzlin is located).
Iron Flask.
Shadow of Menzoberranzan (and again, you would be nuts to feed this to Gale).
Idol of Silvanus (the one you have to steal - or kill all the Druids- in where the ritual is taking place surrounded by Druids).

Last edited by bullse; 02/01/21 02:30 PM.
fylimar Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Great, I just killed Droz Ragzlin, so I go off and find the amulet. I had the idol of Selune, but since I didn't know what to do with it, I sold it.
I remember to only gave him one item in my last playthrough and he stayed happy for the rest of the game. I kept the Sword of Justice and gave it to Lae'zel.

Doctor Who
S
addict
Online Content
addict
S
Gale is such a pain. I know it's probably too late now but I wish Larian would change that aspect of his character. No one wants to have their most powerful magic items destroyed because...contrived story. I have a feeling he will be one of the most unused companions when mercenaries are available. Why keep an annoying wizard when you can roll up one that doesn't have any of his issues?

Necromancy of Thay is borderline useless, the idols are not very useful either. It is manageable unless unless you will have to feed him all your loot to keep him happy util the end. Some way to solve his issue would be very welcome.

fylimar Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I guess along the line, you will have a quest to free him from the curse.

I actually like having Gale around, he is a fun character, a bit more lighthearted.

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
It's odd, in the past couple of months I haven't had Gale ask me once for a magic item. Not sure if this is related but I also haven't been able to romance him. During the party after killing the goblins he'll mention "you gave me magic items when I needed it", even though I didn't and then want to talk the night after. I had "Exceptional" relationship with him, so it's not like he thought I was a jerk. At any rate, at no point did he ever ask for a magic item, even though I had the sword of Tyr, the iron flask and the amulet of Selune. I gave the Necromancy of Thay to him, but that was to read and it's still in my inventory.

Is his need for magic items tied to the tadpole? I tend to use the tadpole a lot, so maybe his need is suppressed? Does he need to die once (and go through the true resurrection scroll bit)?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Thieves Rule
It's odd, in the past couple of months I haven't had Gale ask me once for a magic item. Not sure if this is related but I also haven't been able to romance him. During the party after killing the goblins he'll mention "you gave me magic items when I needed it", even though I didn't and then want to talk the night after. I had "Exceptional" relationship with him, so it's not like he thought I was a jerk. At any rate, at no point did he ever ask for a magic item, even though I had the sword of Tyr, the iron flask and the amulet of Selune. I gave the Necromancy of Thay to him, but that was to read and it's still in my inventory.

Is his need for magic items tied to the tadpole? I tend to use the tadpole a lot, so maybe his need is suppressed? Does he need to die once (and go through the true resurrection scroll bit)?

I don't think he needs to be resurrected first. On my very first run (before patch 3 though) he died for the first time in the Underdark and he had already been asking for items. In all other runs, I just let him kick the bucket the first time he was knocked out (which means pretty soon), so I'm not sure if something changed with patch 3. But he does seem to bug very easily if you don't keep him in the party (and maybe even if you do). I usually try keeping him in the party until he tells me he needs magic items, at that point I feel confident I can kick him out without messing up his conversations. I also read somewhere that if his approval rating rises too fast in between rests (which can easily happen if you're doing a good run) you may miss the conversation about his condition.
I don't think you can romance him if he never tells you about his condition, but I am no expert. I only romanced him once and I haven't even gotten as far as the party yet, but I did get the "weave" scene which I believe is what opens up his romance option at the party.

journeyman
journeyman
I just started a new playthrough to test my tadpole theory. I may be onto something. Normally I use the tadpole every chance I can. This time I haven't used it yet, having ignored it when first talking with Wyll and then again with the Absolute followers with the dead brother. After clearing out the village (I surprised the goblins, rather than talk to them) one of the companions said they needed a rest. After going to camp, Gale then said he needed a magic item.

fylimar Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I used the tadpole to get into the goblin camp and still got all the scenes with Gale. I would even have been able to romance him, but I wanted to do the Shadowheart romance this time, since my dice roles with her were lucky.

Doctor Who
addict
addict
I've seen a lot of people complaining about Gale's need for items, but it strikes me that of all of the items that you can feed him, they are an eclectic collection - varied enough that you will almost certainly have at least one or two that you aren't going to use or don't have a need for.... in fact they seem picked out specifically so that his need will not, in reality, be any kind of real burden.

In my most recent games I've not had anyone in the party using two-handers, so naturally the sword was an easy choice to give him, for example, and it cost me nothing.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Niara
I've seen a lot of people complaining about Gale's need for items, but it strikes me that of all of the items that you can feed him, they are an eclectic collection - varied enough that you will almost certainly have at least one or two that you aren't going to use or don't have a need for.... in fact they seem picked out specifically so that his need will not, in reality, be any kind of real burden.

In my most recent games I've not had anyone in the party using two-handers, so naturally the sword was an easy choice to give him, for example, and it cost me nothing.

I agree with you about Gale. Especially since there's no downside at this point to not feeding him items. There's at least a couple things that are worthless, and not a problem to get rid of. The Necromancy of Thay does nothing for you, except give you the speak with the dead power, if you pass the rolls. But you can get that from the amulet, so that's pretty worthless. Even if you get better amulets for all your party members, you can carry the amulet and swap it in when needed. The amulet from Dror Ragzlin's chest is pretty worthless too. And I don't think the Hag's staff is all that great either, but you can hang onto it if you like. I'm sure there will be more useless stuff to feed him once we get past the first act. I'm sure there will be enough items you won't need, that you can feed to him to trigger whatever will happen at his story's resolution.

But I would not have fed him the Sword of Justice. Lae'zel could have used that even if your player character couldn't. Unless you're just not playing with her.

Gale, EA Act 1 Feed-a-matic, the Great Garbage Disposal of the Weave.
Act 2, may be a different story tho.

Last edited by bullse; 10/01/21 10:31 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard