Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Dec 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Dec 2020
Evandir, you are comparing or equivocating a possible Barbarian class mechanic to justify an all around throw weapon mechanic for all fighter-type classes? Really?

Last edited by bullse; 06/01/21 11:11 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
For all classes. Just like all other classes can use any weapon they are proficient with.


Optimistically Apocalyptic
Joined: Dec 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Dec 2020
Ah, yeah, ok. I am not sure who comes up with these things but I do wonder if the people who are coming up with these things actually think things through.

For example: Battlemaster can solo wreck EA Act 1 with relative ease with either a two-handed weapon (Great Weapons Master) or dual-wielding weapons (Dual wielding master) AND can use a heavy crossbow (easily obtained given one is laying on a table in Druids Grove for the taking) too boot, which in turn, gives the Battlemaster a very effective ranged attack because said class can use Pushing attack at range. Now, let's throw in the ability for the very same class to ALSO be able to use throwing weapons too. Talk about making an already powerful class ..... even more powerful. And if a throwing weapon attack is indeed a mechanic for the Barbarian class, which no other class currently has, but then you give ALL classes the ability to throw weapons, that unique mechanic for the Barbarian class becomes what then? I could go on and on.

Again, who comes up with these things cause assuredly, they are not thinking things through, at all.

Last edited by bullse; 06/01/21 12:32 PM.
Joined: Jun 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Jun 2020
Bullse.... again, no-one is talking about a specific class mechanic. No-one mentioned any such thing, except you. They're talking about something which is a base standard part of the game in 5e. Some weapons (as mentioned: Daggers, hand axes, javelins, light hammers, spears and tridents) have a property tag called 'thrown' - this means any character can use them as a throwing weapon by the base rules (generally with fairly short ranges).

The effect of this is that these weapons can be used with your Strength, even at range.
A heavy crossbow, as with all ranged weapons, uses Dexterity.

This is a basic core function of 5e that hasn't, as yet, made it into BG3. It gives characters with higher strength than dexterity a way to fight at range, using their higher score.

So, in terms of 'who comes up with these things', that would be Wizards of the Coast.

Any strength-based character, if they do indeed have higher strength than dex, would stand to benefit from this being put into the game - though in particular it benefits characters that have higher strength, but use heavy armour and leave their dex low

You're saying that the class that you have actively proclaimed as the most powerful class currently in the game, doesn't need that. Maybe not. It also doesn't need armour of any description, but that's not a valid reason to not have it in the game.

You're saying that this isn't necessary if we play the game exactly like you say... perhaps, but most people aren't going to want to play the game exactly as you say - they'll want to play it thousands of other different ways.

So again - why are you against this? "I can wreck house with this particular class and subclass combination, which by the way is the most powerful build choice in the current version of the game, so the fact that I can stomp things with it isn't really saying very much anyway." is not a meaningful argument against the feature.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by bullse
Originally Posted by Alodar
Originally Posted by bullse
Originally Posted by Alodar
All of which is irrelevant to the request to give strength based warriors an effective distance attack. (one based off strength and not dexterity)

Have you actually played Battlemaster? A properly built Battlemaster, in most cases has 14-16 STR and 14-16 Dex. followed by a high CON. As such, you already have an effective distance attack, it's called Pushing Attack, one for Melee and one for ranged (coupled with a heavy crossbow). Hello? Yeah, that is all we need, more backline fighters/Battlemasters playing ranged verses their true roles, to front line and wreck stuff.........

Have you actually played a Strength based character?
A properly built Strength base character has a Strength of 18 and Con of 18. They wear heavy armor and use Dex as a dump stat(10) as it doesn't add to their armor class.


It would be nice if Strength based characters had an effective distance attack with thrown weapons like they do in D&D.

Played STR based all day long.....solo, you? And I, among others, definitely do NOT need 18 STR to wreck the game......solo. Potions of Hill Giant STR are the bomb and loads of them can be obtained.
Again, you are deflecting from that which has been stated, Fighter class does not need throwing weapons, it already has an effective ranged capability.

A Str 14 Dex 14 fighter really isnt a "strength based fighter"...

Joined: Dec 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg
A Str 14 Dex 14 fighter really isnt a "strength based fighter"...

I like the way you low-ended that one too.
14-16, did you miss that? Furthermore, I typically build virtually all my solo Ranger and Fighter builds with 16 STR. But because I have spent 670+ hours testing a sh*tload of SOLO builds, guess what, Boss? I can wreck everything in the current game with 14 STR, have done it with both a fighter and Ranger......again, SOLO!

Joined: Jun 2020
Alodar Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by bullse
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg
A Str 14 Dex 14 fighter really isnt a "strength based fighter"...

I like the way you low-ended that one too.
14-16, did you miss that? Furthermore, I typically build virtually all my solo Ranger and Fighter builds with 16 STR. But because I have spent 670+ hours testing a sh*tload of SOLO builds, guess what, Boss? I can wreck everything in the current game with 14 STR, have done it with both a fighter and Ranger......again, SOLO!

So the answer is no. You have not played a strength based fighter. You play a Battlemaster with a good Dex so you can hit with Dexterity based ranged weapons.
That you can and others can solo with a STR/DEX Battlemaster build is irrelevant to this conversation.

I am asking Larian to implement Strength based throwing weapons so strength based characters have effective options at range.
These options already exist in D&D 5e for all classes and are particularly useful for Strength based fighters, Strength Based Barbarians, Strength based Paladins, and strength based clerics.

Joined: Nov 2020
addict
Online Content
addict
Joined: Nov 2020
Actually, just giving certain weapons the thrown property would be pretty good. A barbarian stacking up on Handaxes to throw as a weapon attack against enemies is in line with 5e, scale with STR or DEX depending on weapon or whichever is higher and it'd translate well to BG3 I think

Joined: Dec 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by Alodar
Originally Posted by bullse
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg
A Str 14 Dex 14 fighter really isnt a "strength based fighter"...

I like the way you low-ended that one too.
14-16, did you miss that? Furthermore, I typically build virtually all my solo Ranger and Fighter builds with 16 STR. But because I have spent 670+ hours testing a sh*tload of SOLO builds, guess what, Boss? I can wreck everything in the current game with 14 STR, have done it with both a fighter and Ranger......again, SOLO!

So the answer is no. You have not played a strength based fighter. You play a Battlemaster with a good Dex so you can hit with Dexterity based ranged weapons.
That you can and others can solo with a STR/DEX Battlemaster build is irrelevant to this conversation.

I am asking Larian to implement Strength based throwing weapons so strength based characters have effective options at range.
These options already exist in D&D 5e for all classes and are particularly useful for Strength based fighters, Strength Based Barbarians, Strength based Paladins, and strength based clerics.

W T F are you smoking dude?
I challenge you any day to run SOLO with your alleged STR fighter verses mine, any day. Bet.
When I am stomping literally everything into the dirt with a MAUL how the frak am I a DEX based fighter. About as idiotic of an argument I have ever ever seen on these forums, much appreciated in witnessing, Alodar.
Geezus frakin Christ, do you even remotely understand what is meant by Strength BASED? OMFG.

Last edited by bullse; 07/01/21 02:53 AM.
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Originally Posted by bullse
W T F are you smoking dude?
I challenge you any day to run SOLO with your alleged STR fighter verses mine, any day. Bet.
When I am stomping literally everything into the dirt with a MAUL how the frak am I a DEX based fighter. About as idiotic of an argument I have ever ever seen on these forums, much appreciated in witnessing, Alodar.
Geezus frakin Christ, do you even remotely understand what is meant by Strength BASED? OMFG.

Keep it civil, please. This is not the first time your conduct in this regard has been seen lacking.

In addition, this topic was not intended as a podium for bragging.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Jun 2020
Alodar Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Jun 2020
Since the thread has gotten off track I will repeat my request:

As a heavy armour user, Strength based fighters tend to use Dexterity as a dump stat. Since our Dex adjustment is -1 or 0 bows are not a viable distance weapon.

Some nice throwing axes (or daggers or spears or hammers) would go a long way towards giving a strength fighter something to do other than run towards enemies and swing.
Magical throwing axes of returning are always nice too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5