Print Thread
#749082 03/01/21 09:32 PM
A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
So how about it? Like Karma in Fallout and specific quest/event tags that follow you around, or even a basic numerical scale

Did Larian ever bring it up? What do you guys think?

Last edited by adkfina; 03/01/21 09:33 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Would need an enormous lag time to be realistic. If it takes 2 weeks just to make it from the Druids Grove to Baldur's Gate, under ideal circumstances, then time for someone from the Grove to get there, then time for them to mention your deeds to people, then more time for it to spread around the city, then folks in the city would have to actually RECOGNIZE that you are the ones they heard about...

Reputation beyond your group of comrades, or for events outside of the general area you are currently in has often struck my as a weak mechanic - one of the things I liked least in BG1/2.

Banned
Banned
There is a wierd type of system in the game.
Noticed it during the battle over the Grove.

I killed a Druid during the fight where they tried to smoke out the Tieflings.
So Tieflings saw me kill "a Guard" (Druid) during the fight.
A DRUID THAT TRIED TO KILL THEM. grin

One of them shouted " Oh my gods the killed a Guard. Quick, alert everyone! " or something. ^^

And after the battle, I had a debuff.
" Enemy of Justice " or something.

Hilarious. ^^

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
I killed a Druid during the fight where they tried to smoke out the Tieflings.
So Tieflings saw me kill "a Guard" (Druid) during the fight.
A DRUID THAT TRIED TO KILL THEM. grin

One of them shouted " Oh my gods the killed a Guard. Quick, alert everyone! " or something. ^^
It gets even better ... i experienced the same when i attacked groove with goblins, but one of my goblins was withness of my murdering spree, and go alert guards ... yet he probably didnt find any, since he become hostile himself a few rounds later ... then, when other goblins killed him, Minthara become hostile to me since "i spilled some blood".

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Lol. The quest/relation status code sounds buggy as hell.

As for reputation, it is a bad idea and generally a bad system. Not as bad as alignment, but still. It's one of those tools that was probably intended to encourage or enhance roleplay, but it is ridiculous.

If one wanted to do reputation well, one should consider :
- how impressive and impactful our latest deed is (slaying a big pack of monsters terrorising a whole village will get more coverage than saving a child who fell in a well),
- how well-travelled the place where we are is (news only travel with people),
- how famous we are (people are more likely to talk about already famous adventurers),
- how long it was since our last big deed (news cycle, if you haven't done something noteworthy in a year, most gossip places will have stopped talking about your group).
Sure, a bit of simplification/modelling can be done here. But "does action A in place P, distant city C knows about it within seconds" is too simplified.
Then, a reputation system probably wants to model whether people talk about you in positive or negative terms.
- You shouldn't be painted in the same light everywhere (the village where you just saved a girl might give less weight to rumour that you killed a smith in another village a year ago, whereas if you go back there, people will remember you as troublemaker).
And finally, assuming you talk to someone who has heard of you, and has a pre-conceived idea of whether you're nice or dangerous, how they react on that is yet another thing.
- Clearly, the potion seller who knows you easily resort to killing might not want to charge you more. In fact, they'd rather give you a low price and hope you leave their shop fast.
- Clearly, the shady charlatan who sells whatever poison or drug people buy won't care if you're a famous do-gooder, you'll be just another pigeon.

The way BG1-2 handled reputation was laughable. The Virtue mod improves things a bit, but it's hard to do good with a bad system.

I hope Larian focuses on all the other things, and doesn't bother with a reputation system.

We don't need these tools. Dialogues and decisions are where we roleplay. Good dialogue options and multiple good ways to handle situations and resolve "quests" will be a lot more impactful and interesting, imo.

veteran
veteran
No reputation system please, the game should react to what we do, thats it.

I like how the witcher games do it, no reputation system but the games have more reactivity than many others.
Looks like Larian tries to do the same and so far it looks very good, if they can fix the bugs written above.

I am also happy that BG3 has no alignment, even though alignment is actually part of the DnD universe.
Well, the spell "protection from good and evil" now protects from creatury types, not alignment
and paladins do not smite evil anymore, they just smite.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:

Link Copied to Clipboard