Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#749133 04/01/21 01:56 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
One thing I have noticed in my travels through Solasta and BG 3 is implementation of some more "mundane" skill sets of rangers and thieves -in Solasta going into a "hide" mode will allow you to see "hidden" tracks, points of entry/egress and other similar area features. BG 3 already allows for "inactive" proficiency checks, but I still miss the days where a more "active" use of a thief or rangers skills would increase the chances of spotting something that might have been missed during a less leisurely, hurried assessment. It's one thing to happen to notice something while walking across a room, and another to actively, purposely take the time to search that room - as demonstrated by the old take 5/take 10 rules.

I would also like to see an urban ranger or thief's second story man background get put to some greater use - ropes should have uses, and optionally take the place of some of the jumping and leaping in the game. I shouldn't always have to rely on stacking boxes to get on a roof - my skilled thief should be able to jump/climb up, and tie down a rope the group can use to climb up. Pry-bars should exist to boost strength in certain efforts. If I want to move the scuffed rock by the wreckage with my strength 10 character, I should have a better chance with a lever , rather than have to go add Lae'zel to my party for 5 minutes, just to have someone strong enough to move it, then kick her back out of the party for my 1st choice. Similarly, casting grease or my thief using using a bottle of oil or packet of graphite, should make it easier to open a jammed door if I don't have a muscle-man available. I still have a soft spot for some of the "cleated" boots and gloves you could have constructed back in the days of 2.0, simply to assist in such 2nd story work.

This all certainly aligns with Larian's use of terrain and physical features in its game mechanics. I'd also like a ranger or thief to be able to dismantle, repair and reuse some of the busted traps and snares we run across - I'd be much more comfortable with this than all the barrelmancy.

Last edited by Anfindel; 04/01/21 02:47 AM.
old hand
old hand
Great ideas =)

M
M
You have some really good points indeed

addict
addict
+ 1 - not sure it will be done but some good ideas.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Anfindel I was thinking something similar but you said it a lot better than I could have and I so hope that Larian implements it.

Link Copied to Clipboard