Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RutgerF
There are some enemy spellcasters in Solasta's OC. Enough for me to have the same thoughts about reaction baiting that you describe. Although, you can probably achieve the same effect by having an expendable summon, or your Rogue to run through the enemies with Dodge activated, bleeding them out of their reactions.

Haven't tried the new campaign yet, people are telling weird things about random encounters, like a party level 4 stumbling upon a Green Dragon and some such.

Yeah, you know how the original campaign had random encounters in the earlier areas outright fleeing from you once your level got high enough? None of that appears to exist in Lost Valley due to the more open-ended nature of that campaign. While you still run into stronger enemies the further you get away from the main city in Lost Valley from the looks of it, the more open-ended nature of the campaign (as in, it's possible to reach endgame in some of the factions very early if you super commit to them instead of trying to advance all of them as far as possible first in order to gauge your options) means you can probably run into the harder random encounters a lot earlier than expected.

Especially if you fully side with the Resistance or the People early, since their quest lines quickly take you to the edges of the campaign map where most of the highest level random encounters appear to be.

Honestly, it seems like the intended progression is to progress with the Forge faction first, since they control the vital Scavenger system, it seems almost impossible to get into negative relations with them outside of some VERY specific choices, and that's the only faction you can reach near endgame in without pissing off the other four factions (you only get a reputation drop in another faction towards the very end of that questline from what I've observed). The faction questline is also the longest and there are also a fair amount of sidequests started by NPCs of that faction too (including one that leads to an entire dungeon which none of the other factions point you towards), while the other factions don't really have any sidequests at all.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 07/05/22 06:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm sure I've said it before, but I have my own idea for reactions, which combines elements from both Solasta and BG3 ways of doing it.

1. PC's can toggle what reactions they prefer, but there are still always reaction pop-ups. What the toggles do is set the default to either use or don't use. Example: a Wizard has Shield as "yes" and Opportunity Attack to "No".
2. When a reaction is triggered, players have 6 seconds to respond - that helps keep things speedy for multiplayer.
3. If players pick a choice, either use or pass, it happens immediately in both cases.
4. If the players instead wait for the 6-second timer to elapse, the default reaction gets used. If the prompting action is an archer shooting which will miss the Wizard's AC + 5, the Wizard will by default cast Shield using the lowest available spell slot. If the prompting action was a goblin running out of the Wizard's melee, the Wizard will do nothing.

This solution gives the players flexibility to use their resources how they want, and the timer on the reaction keeps the action moving fairly quickly even if the player has stepped away.

I have to say that I also like Solasta doing automatic Arcana checks when a spell which could be countered is going on. If the player passes the Arcana check, the Counterspell reaction prompt identifies the spell, letting you decide to take it or counter it. If you fail the check, all the reaction prompt says is "X is casting an Unknown Spell", and you have to gamble on whether it's worth the Counterspell usage or not.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
players have 6 seconds to respond
I didnt read futher ... this would make it HARD PASS for me. :-/

Short coment on my English. smile

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

I wouldn't mind if it was a full pause, but I believe Larian had stated in the past that they want a fully automatic reaction system with no player input, in part to keep combat flowing smoothly for multiplayer. I'm trying to suggest a compromise because it'll be more likely to be positively received.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I dunno, sounds like excuse to me (and lazy one actualy) ...

Sure, smooth combat would be fine and true timed reactions could help to achieve that ...
Then some player gets their turn ... and they are choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... and choosing ... you get the idea. laugh

I mean ... make multiplayer as smooth and fast as you like Larian ... but if you pick one design phylosophy, aply it to everything.
This game (at least so far as i can tell) in every single aspect goes with phylosophy "take your time, the WORLD will wait for you, player(s)" ... and that should be either applyed to everything, or completely changed ... no middle ground here.

Short coment on my English. smile

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

I wouldn't mind if it was a full pause, but I believe Larian had stated in the past that they want a fully automatic reaction system with no player input, in part to keep combat flowing smoothly for multiplayer. I'm trying to suggest a compromise because it'll be more likely to be positively received.

sadly i'm no multiplayer person here. believe it or not i have yet to start not even once DOS2 multiplayer and have no idea how it played. thus i don't care much about multiplayer but i like the best single player experience. this is not to shaft multiplayer gamer but just requesting Larian for not shafting single players as i bought the game for the single player experience.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't do multiplayer either, at least not in a single player game.

If I did, I would want macro reactions.

My wizard get below 5 hp and auto bonus action teleports and runs willy-nilly yelling "Feets don't fail me now!"

Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard