Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I loved the way surfaces behaved in DOS 1 and 2. I was hoping to see more of that in BG3, but they seem toned down. Increasing those kinds of mechanics and interactions would really improve my desire to engage in combat or try new builds.

Thanks for the nascent, beautiful EA game you've given us.

addict
addict
Oh god no!!!

I don't even think it's toned down enough as it is, but it was even worse prior to the latest patch! And in DOS 2, eventually ***EVERY DAMN BATTLE*** had things burning, people slipping and freezing and explosions everythere. Fucking hell, I sure as fuck hope they will not revert the changes they've gone through. I hope they will nerf those things further into the ground.

E
Online Content
E
Personally not a fan of those mechanics at all. I haven't played the recent patch but the dozens of hours I put in prior to that I found the combat boring with the endless supply of conveniently placed barrels and explosions/environmental effects. Why bother with tactics and a well balanced party when you can just trigger a domino effect of explosive barrels and wipe out your foes in one hit?

G
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
G
I absolutely hate all of that surfaces garbage. Barrels got toned down a bit, but not enough for my liking. Next I hope they get rid of bombs and special arrows and dramatically reduce the availability and uses of spell scrolls. Make the game about the characters - not their gear.

apprentice
apprentice
lets please keep that in Divinity (which are fun games too) but that has no place in a d&d game that's supposed to be based on the ruleset. Otherwise it might as well just be Baldurs Gate 3 - a mod for Divinity original sin 2.......

M
M
i really like if we have logical interactions in a game (for example water put out fire, can be turned to ice or electirifed, i liked that warm/cold had a say in that etc.), the problem with dos was that it was too easy to do and hard to follow at some point (and the curse/bless surfaces thing did not help) the characters and enemies were all able to do loads of surfaces even within one turn and the map turned to a mess (funny at times but not in every case). so i like if we are able to do multiple effects via items/spells and if they interact - and i like bludgeon/piercing/slashing effects and how they interact with armor as well not just the elemental ones also like varied enemy vulnerabilities so different tactics need to be used against them - but surfaces in general should be more situational/rare, i thin what they did with patch 3 is a good start.

addict
addict
I think surfaces are fine as they are now, they add a element to dnd reminiscent of a player asking to use their ice spell to cause the orc to slip or the dm filling the room with oil while a fire mage gloats, without going to DOS2 levels of everything is on fire and now tentacles are spewing from the water insanity. It worked in DOS2 but BG3 has a different feel and I think surfaces being watered down works well for adding a little creativity/challenge to fights.

addict
addict
Well at least got a good laugh about this, previously, forums were in a huge uproar about barrels and spells giving surface effects. Seems like a good amount of different users are here now, you might find a few people with the same opinion (doubt it though).

You can find probably multi long threads about this topic if you did a search on the forums btw.

Link Copied to Clipboard