Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
stranger
stranger
Let's see you all clapping back about it not being similar to BG1&2 when it's revealed in the city of BG that the Dead Three (including Bhaal) are behind the tadpoles and Minsc and Boo are by our side. Jokers.

addict
addict
BG2 similarities : story and some returning characters.
DOS2 similarities: origins story, graphics, atmosphere, UI, items, vendors, combat, movement, low NPCs count, wonky world humor, etc etc...
<Original> stuff: D^D5th, dipping, cinematic dialogues.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 23/02/21 09:56 AM.
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by ScouseSorcerer1
Let's see you all clapping back about it not being similar to BG1&2 when it's revealed in the city of BG that the Dead Three (including Bhaal) are behind the tadpoles and Minsc and Boo are by our side. Jokers.

That wouldn’t alter my opinion in the slightest if that proved to be true because that is just the story with a token character thrown in. When so much else is derived from DOS and so much of what made the original BGs so great are absent.

Also, dismissing people as ‘jokers’ isn’t a particularly helpful way to communicate with people. Opinions are like arseholes, we all have one.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
From what we have at the moment in the EA's story, which theme are you talking about ?
What you're willing to sacrifice for power/how much are you willing to surrender to a corrupting influence for power. Everytime you use the tadpole you surrender a bit more of yourself for re-rolls or successes, ect, you start getting dreams essentially telling you to continue using the powers, to surrender and become even stronger. Baldur's Gate I and II was about embracing your divine heritage or resisting it, though due to writing, tech, or time, it was more informed (good characters could heal minor wounds, evil ones could vampric touch for example). It was never really said, but the start of ToB (the first challenge room) the npc mentions they embraced and became consumed by the essence

Yeah, I was about to add my little 5 cents to the topic and say that the tadpole dreams are reminding me of the dreams you as the PC of BG1/2 used to have after you reached certain points in game, and furthermore - depending on what you've done (your reputation paid a factor in that, kinda flawed and rudimentary system but those games were made ages ago so they had to come up with something) you had differently flavored dreams - for good, neutral and evil reputation levels.

I haven't posted in a while on these forums, but I will remain vocal about this: we need some sorts of dreams for those of us who refuse to use tadpole powers. Give us something, we don't need a big ol pat on the back for being a 'good person', but give us something. In previous games, the 'good' aligned dreams used to have this underlying theme in them - if you didn't succumb to the corruption of your heritage, you had nightmares and general feeling of 'disappointing' the power as it tried to drown you, figuratively speaking. Now imagine getting something similar to that with the tadpole, but no, we get nothing and the tadpole is reduced to 'barely an inconvenience' as one of my favorite youtubers likes to say.

I 100% agree with the second part and the dreams/powers/else for the good playthrough.

Having played more than once as a good character, there is almost nothing related to the tadpole except a few choices to avoid. No dreams, no powers, nothing special to do... It's just completely empty.

I guess we'll have more interresting things but I don't really see any "theme" in common.

In the old games you try to learn who you are and to survive those that wants to take your power.
The Slayer will appear whatever you're doing because you loose control of your heritage.
It's only at the end of ToB that you can choose to embrace it or not.

Your heritage is what leads you to dreams, to new powers and to your journey. Your acts have an small influence on details but the stories are not really about "What you're willing to sacrifice for power/how much are you willing to surrender to a corrupting influence for power" to me...

It doesn't have any influence on the story and if there's promising mechanics that looks like in the old games in BG3 (Dreams, powers)... "A main character living with an evil thing inside him" is not really what I would call a common "theme"....

If I'm wrong I guess many films and video games have the same theme.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/02/21 11:05 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
DOS2 similarities: origins story, graphics, atmosphere, UI, items, vendors, combat, movement, low NPCs count, wonky world humor, etc etc...

Well, in as much as BG1/2 combat and itemization was based upon D&D 2.0, and used graphics and UI that are decades old, there is no way BG3 could be like BG1/2 in that regard.

BG1/2 also had more than its share of wonky humor - I recall riffs and callbacks to sitcoms of the time and a certain vegetable enthusiast as a major NPC as prime examples, so your humor comparison is off base.

In as much as we know for certain we do not have all the NPC's as yet, any discussion regarding that is premature.

On the other hand, BG3 is chock full of D&D lore - it's just much of that lore involves events occurring since BG1/2. It involves the same world and region as BG1/2. Same Gods still causing mischief and mayhem. Same bestiary.

So I'm going to rate this a 0% for constructive criticism and a 100% for bitching and complaining. You have made it consistently clear you do not approve of BG3, do not approve of DOS2, and find the game to be vomitous at best.

I personally find anything done post TSR to be an abomination and sacrilegious - yet you won't see me inflicting my personal opinion upon Larian in specific and the rpg community in general.

S
addict
addict
S

Whoa whoa SPOILERS!

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
May well be, but I'm not convinced it's going to go that way-in bg3 the dead three are not very dead anymore (Myrkul and Bhaal are both back, I forget the third guy)

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Anfindel

Well, in as much as BG1/2 combat and itemization was based upon D&D 2.0, and used graphics and UI that are decades old, there is no way BG3 could be like BG1/2 in that regard.

BG1/2 also had more than its share of wonky humor - I recall riffs and callbacks to sitcoms of the time and a certain vegetable enthusiast as a major NPC as prime examples, so your humor comparison is off base.

In as much as we know for certain we do not have all the NPC's as yet, any discussion regarding that is premature.

On the other hand, BG3 is chock full of D&D lore - it's just much of that lore involves events occurring since BG1/2. It involves the same world and region as BG1/2. Same Gods still causing mischief and mayhem. Same bestiary.

So I'm going to rate this a 0% for constructive criticism and a 100% for bitching and complaining. You have made it consistently clear you do not approve of BG3, do not approve of DOS2, and find the game to be vomitous at best.

I personally find anything done post TSR to be an abomination and sacrilegious - yet you won't see me inflicting my personal opinion upon Larian in specific and the rpg community in general.

Plenty of incredibly constructive posts regarding BG3 items, UI, movement, etc etc...
Just stating the obvious on BG3 current condition.
The poster says basically its alright to call it BG3 just because of the story and some returning characters. I say take a look at the gameplay/atmosphere/UI. The game is 75% DOS2, 10% Baldurs gate, 15% D^D5th.

The more important question; Have you played and finished BG2? Seems like no one has.
BG2 was so awful to everyone that they had to go out of their way to make a sequel? Is that why we are here?
Decade old graphics and UI? ? BG2 UI blows BG3 out of the water. Why does being in 2021 have to do with anything? We see many successful MODERN retro style games (Hades, Dead cells, Pathfinder...). Good design is timeless. No need to reinvent the mouse : hasn't changed in over 20 years.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 24/02/21 02:03 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
They got the licence, a good portion of the story happens in baldur's gate, and it follows the D&D ruleset.

This IS a bladur's gate game, and only someone completely delusional dosent see it. Grow up.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Tougen
They got the licence, a good portion of the story happens in baldur's gate, and it follows the D&D ruleset.

This IS a bladur's gate game, and only someone completely delusional dosent see it. Grow up.

calling people delusional because they don't agree with you really brings out the maturity in your comment.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by tsundokugames

calling people delusional because they don't agree with you really brings out the maturity in your comment.

Amen.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo

There are better ways to express yourself. Please use them in future.

old hand
old hand
While it is a Baldur's Gate game, we all want it to be better than it is right now. Many people feel very strongly about such opinions, and a common consensus is that they need to move closer to the 5e Ruleset with the updates. Most people when they make claims saying this isn't a Baldur's Gate game are not doing it out of denial of the IP, they are usually saying that the game is not how it should be, even though it is EA.

addict
addict
... and it follows the D&D ruleset.
Not quite. It has d20 rolls if that's what you mean.

T
stranger
stranger
T

Weird way of defining "maturity" when you people are the ones demanding it be named something else because its not a carbon copy of the game you played in your childhood. Look at the logo, what do you read there? Anyone who is not delusional will see Baldur's gate III. Theres no argument here, they got the license and they CAN name the game Baldur's Gate III considering it DOES happen in the same part of that unniverse, grow up.

Originally Posted by Danielbda
Its an adaptation of the D&D ruleset and you know it, at the very least a much more faithfull one than the older games managed to do due to technological limitations.

Last edited by Tougen; 24/02/21 04:22 PM.
Forgive me for not having read any of the previous posts before chiming in on this (what I am about to say may have already been covered ad nosium)... I think I figured out a major part of the plotline for this game and, if I am correct, it makes a tremendous amount of sense for why it is in the Baldur's Gate franchise. I believe that Jergal is searching for a new mortal to take over the position occupied by Bhaal and we're the chosen candidates that are unknowingly interviewing for the spot. I also believe that Bhaal has other plans... and we're the unwitting pawns in a chess game between the two Gods.

Of course, I could be completely off my rocker... It's been known to happen from time to time... but that's my basic theory.

Banned
Banned

Weird way of defining "maturity" when you people are the ones demanding it be named something else because its not a carbon copy of the game you played in your childhood. Look at the logo, what do you read there? Anyone who is not delusional will see Baldur's gate III. Theres no argument here, they got the license and they CAN name the game Baldur's Gate III considering it DOES happen in the same part of that unniverse, grow up.

Its an adaptation of the D&D ruleset and you know it, at the very least a much more faithfull one than the older games managed to do due to technological limitations.

1) "you people"

I rest my case.

Last edited by tsundokugames; 25/02/21 07:54 AM.
addict
addict

Have you played and finished BG1 and BG2? Did you like these games?
Yes Larian got the rights for the NAME and LORE but do you really feel the current game is a modern improvement of the older games? If you haven't played them, I humbly believe that you are mistaken...the game CURRENTLY feels like DOS2 (gameplay, UI, visuals, items, atmosphere etc...) with some Baldurs gate lore sprinkled in with D^D5th.

I'm hoping that Larian rectifies this, NOT JUST WITH THE STORY/LORE, but the feel of the game.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 25/02/21 08:15 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The_BlauerDragon
Forgive me for not having read any of the previous posts before chiming in on this (what I am about to say may have already been covered ad nosium)... I think I figured out a major part of the plotline for this game and, if I am correct, it makes a tremendous amount of sense for why it is in the Baldur's Gate franchise. I believe that Jergal is searching for a new mortal to take over the position occupied by Bhaal and we're the chosen candidates that are unknowingly interviewing for the spot. I also believe that Bhaal has other plans... and we're the unwitting pawns in a chess game between the two Gods.

Of course, I could be completely off my rocker... It's been known to happen from time to time... but that's my basic theory.

That's not a bad theory. I would throw in Shar too, since she seems to play a big role in the whole story.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
A
addict
addict
A
Have you played and finished BG1 and BG2? Did you like these games?
Yes Larian got the rights for the NAME and LORE but do you really feel the current game is a modern improvement of the older games?
Yep. I've played BG2 a lot when it came out. There was plenty of criticism back then, regarding how they implemented rules, spells, classes, enemies (especially enemies like the demiliches) etc. Don't asume that BG fans are monolith who came out playing the series with the same impressions.

BG3 is very different graphic-wise and I dislike the terrible party control scheme, but for me it does bring back that low level fantasy adventure BG1 had and BG2 lost somewhere along the way. And I think it BG3 does improve on some aspects, like for example: being able to talk to animals as a shapeshifted druid (shapeshifting in BG1 was so disappointing), rogue play (in both BG1 and 2 enemy rogues can basically backstab you in the face, unlike your own rogues) and enemy design (so far I have not encountered any enemies using cheesy scripted sequences like e. g. Shandalar in BG1).

Honestly, I have to wonder how many people here remember the fan feedback on Kangaxx when BG2 came out.

Edit: And of course how could I forget my favourite piece of questionable BG2 design: Arkanis Gath. wink

Last edited by ash elemental; 25/02/21 10:09 AM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard