Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
My biggest problem, other than concentration that I rely a lot to protect Ken... Gale, is that the sacred flame cantrip is the weakest of all the other cantrips, up to know, it is the one that does very few damage and one with the highest missings, that's why I use the cleric for long range healing and fill Shadowheart with special arrows.

Now if by the "special arrows" you are referring to would those be like the acid arrows for example? If so then you have to worry about the acid getting your friendlies and having them take damage as well Hence the reason for which I was glad when I was able to buy a set of medium armor +1 for her which she now has an AC of 19 she takes damage a lot less now.<G>

Yep, that's a problem, luckily I more prone to have long rage parties (thus I hate when mobs jump or teleport near my party members laugh laugh ), armor upgrading was one of the first things I did for Shadowheart.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Lowkey i feel like there's no real benefit in playing any kind of caster over warrior rn. Some spells are nice and very satisfying vs weak mobs, and guiding light does a lot of dmg when it lands, but every harder fight for me pretty much amounts to everyone going for my mage and him going down, then Gale going down, then SH trying to heal them and going down, and finally homegirl Lae'zel killing everyone while they stab their corpses.

I kind of want to try out a beefier battle-cleric or battle-mage build and see how it goes.

Now I like the idea of a battle-cleric more so than a battle-mage. What differences would there be between the Battle-mage and the Warlock?

No succubus (probs bad) and no awkward Wyll sweating (probs good), i guess.

veteran
veteran
And if I might ask what weapon<s> did your cleric wield out of curiosity?
Nothing fancy really ... im at beginning. laugh
Just regular +1 axes. smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Lowkey i feel like there's no real benefit in playing any kind of caster over warrior rn. Some spells are nice and very satisfying vs weak mobs, and guiding light does a lot of dmg when it lands, but every harder fight for me pretty much amounts to everyone going for my mage and him going down, then Gale going down, then SH trying to heal them and going down, and finally homegirl Lae'zel killing everyone while they stab their corpses.

I kind of want to try out a beefier battle-cleric or battle-mage build and see how it goes.

Now I like the idea of a battle-cleric more so than a battle-mage. What differences would there be between the Battle-mage and the Warlock?

I 'm running a gold dwarf cleric, and they can also wield axes and battle axes. A +1 axe can be acquired in the druid grove. So that's what she's wielding.
(Yes it's a female dwarf, without a beard. Nettie-type) cool

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
It doesn't help that the only cleric companion is absolutely terrible to the point where it's difficult to justify including her in a party. On the playthrough where I went with a cleric mainchar using a build that wasn't utterly useless, the class felt decent enough outside of the issue with concentration, which I trust is something Larian will gradually fix over the course of EA. Clerics work very well as tanks who buff before combat and heal after.

veteran
veteran
Her new stats improved her but her domain is one of the weakest cleric domains. I'm hoping / expecting that the interpretation of invoke duplicity is a placeholder because that's a pretty great spell.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My biggest problem, other than concentration that I rely a lot to protect Ken... Gale, is that the sacred flame cantrip is the weakest of all the other cantrips, up to know, it is the one that does very few damage and one with the highest missings, that's why I use the cleric for long range healing and fill Shadowheart with special arrows.

Now if by the "special arrows" you are referring to would those be like the acid arrows for example? If so then you have to worry about the acid getting your friendlies and having them take damage as well Hence the reason for which I was glad when I was able to buy a set of medium armor +1 for her which she now has an AC of 19 she takes damage a lot less now.<G>

Yep, that's a problem, luckily I more prone to have long rage parties (thus I hate when mobs jump or teleport near my party members laugh laugh ), armor upgrading was one of the first things I did for Shadowheart.

I agree and now I'm currently working on some weapons. I'm curious as to who folks have using that Justice sword the one you get from the Tollhouse? Unfortunately, My PC dual wields and even with being able to dual wield 2 handed weapons as 1 handed I can't use it. SH is a single-handed weapon and shield. Any other choices currently or do you give it to Gale?

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Nyloth
I hate the standard cleric spell, which is supposed to deal damage but literally never does... At the same time, clerics do very little damage with both bow and melee weapons. Once they run out of spells, they become useless. Mages have at least a restoration spell, plus the spell, which sets fire to or causes damage more often than the one that is a cleric. I know it's weird to compare them, but I'm really disappointed. Because this skill almost never deals damage. None at all.
Ok here some tips to you Clerics.

Regardless if you want to make ranged class DEX Cleric or melee class STR cleric?

I noticed that I believe that one Vendor Thiefling race in that Thiefling Village where the Druid Grove is sells magical weapons and items. That is not all what he creates is random I believe. If you go and take long rest and come again he will have created other weapons.

Give your Cleric:
A. Magical +1 weapon ranged if you go for ranged or +1 melee weapon if melee.
B. Magical +1 armor.
This in early access. Better items when higher level of course.

It does not do a miracle but it helps... you also need to invest, Why not go with say 16 score on STR or minimum 14 if you go for melee Cleric and oh do not forget about CON?

16 STR gives +3 (or 14 and +2) to hit and damage with melee then if you add +1 Magical weapon it gives +4 damage if 16 or +3 damage if had score 14 and now attacking with magical weapon to hit and damage.

One more advice if you go for melee Cleric then please use Shield!
It is better if they miss you not good if they hit you also due to concentration rolls.
If you go for ranged then have DEX instead of STR,

What if you see something really nasty in melee and you are Melee cleric? Use spells first like Guiding Bolt if enemy is still alive after that finish wounded enemy.

In addition it is not only you do team work with your team. Let your companions help Cleric do team works with them and let your Cleric help the companions.

Well so what you can have only one concentration spell active at same time? You can cast instant spells like Guiding Bolt, Healing spells; Necrotic Damage etc any other spell then concentration that will not dispel your current active concentration spell.

WARNING SPOILERS ABOUT THE CRYPT, but if you have trouble there you might want to read this:

You do know the Undead place the Crypt? Turn undead is not automatic victory, but useful there they may resist but good if you get that melee Undead running and take out other undeads first.
The one room with horrible trap that it comes out poison gas from the floor when you open one specific sargofagus? Actually I decided to not open that Sarcofagus due to trap but I killed all the enemies in the Crypt when my party was level 2.
In addition when fighting Undead Protection from Evil might be useful they can also protect vs spells. Undeads those are Evil.
What if you are Cleric and have STR 14 or DEX 14 and you feel that you contantly miss? Well in that case Bless on party can be useful spell to party and please give your Cleric Magical+1 weapon before you become level 4 and it is very doable.

Finally about some so others called wannabe GURU feedback? Cleric was indeed very powerful in DD3.5! I suspect this generation or DD5 players that say DD 3.5 in there Cleric was not super powerful are not power gamers like me or not at same level GURU in DD3.5 as me.

I am not ultimate GURU in DD5th. I have never played Pen and Paper 5th edition Dungeons Dragons, but I have played Dungeons Dragons 3.5 pen and paper. That said now due to this game I have read Players Handbook in DD5th more or less.

Please Larian Studios add Spirit Guardian spell when that time comes otherwise I do feel Cleric is neglected in this game. In addition please add all domains in Players Handbook for Clerics it is also nice we can choose Domain.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 16/01/21 05:55 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
I hate the standard cleric spell, which is supposed to deal damage but literally never does... At the same time, clerics do very little damage with both bow and melee weapons. Once they run out of spells, they become useless. Mages have at least a restoration spell, plus the spell, which sets fire to or causes damage more often than the one that is a cleric. I know it's weird to compare them, but I'm really disappointed. Because this skill almost never deals damage. None at all.
Ok here some tips to you Clerics.

Regardless if you want to make ranged class DEX Cleric or melee class STR cleric?

I noticed that I believe that one Vendor Thiefling race in that Thiefling Village where the Druid Grove is sells magical weapons and items. That is not all what he creates is random I believe. If you go and take long rest and come again he will have created other weapons.

Give your Cleric:
A. Magical +1 weapon ranged if you go for ranged or +1 melee weapon if melee.
B. Magical +1 armor.
This in early access. Better items when higher level of course.

It does not do a miracle but it helps... you also need to invest, Why not go with say 16 score on STR or minimum 14 if you go for melee Cleric and oh do not forget about CON?

16 STR gives +3 (or 14 and +2) to hit and damage with melee then if you add +1 Magical weapon it gives +4 damage if 16 or +3 damage if had score 14 and now attacking with magical weapon to hit and damage.

One more advice if you go for melee Cleric then please use Shield!
It is better if they miss you not good if they hit you also due to concentration rolls.
If you go for ranged then have DEX instead of STR,

What if you see something really nasty in melee and you are Melee cleric? Use spells first like Guiding Bolt if enemy is still alive after that finish wounded enemy.

In addition it is not only you do team work with your team. Let your companions help Cleric do team works with them and let your Cleric help the companions.

Well so what you can have only one concentration spell active at same time? You can cast instant spells like Guiding Bolt, Healing spells; Necrotic Damage etc any other spell then concentration that will not dispel your current active concentration spell.

WARNING SPOILERS ABOUT THE CRYPT, but if you have trouble there you might want to read this:

You do know the Undead place the Crypt? Turn undead is not automatic victory, but useful there they may resist but good if you get that melee Undead running and take out other undeads first.
The one room with horrible trap that it comes out poison gas from the floor when you open one specific sargofagus? Actually I decided to not open that Sarcofagus due to trap but I killed all the enemies in the Crypt when my party was level 2.
In addition when fighting Undead Protection from Evil might be useful they can also protect vs spells. Undeads those are Evil.
What if you are Cleric and have STR 14 or DEX 14 and you feel that you contantly miss? Well in that case Bless on party can be useful spell to party and please give your Cleric Magical+1 weapon before you become level 4 and it is very doable.

Finally about some so others called wannabe GURU feedback? Cleric was indeed very powerful in DD3.5! I suspect this generation or DD5 players that say DD 3.5 in there Cleric was not super powerful are not power gamers like me or not at same level GURU in DD3.5 as me.

I am not ultimate GURU in DD5th. I have never played Pen and Paper 5th edition Dungeons Dragons, but I have played Dungeons Dragons 3.5 pen and paper. That said now due to this game I have read Players Handbook in DD5th more or less.

Please Larian Studios add Spirit Guardian spell when that time comes otherwise I do feel Cleric is neglected in this game. In addition please add all domains in Players Handbook for Clerics it is also nice we can choose Domain.

I do not know why you quoted me, but what you write about does not help at all. The cleric's spells are fine, but when it runs out it's mostly useless. Any other class with the same set and no spells will deal more damage than a cleric. We are talking about the phase when the cleric runs out of spell slots. I don't like those spells that I have left / used without slots. They are mostly useless.

I expect that as a SUPPORT bard will be more useful. If so, it's easier for me to change the class.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
T
Banned
Banned
T
[quote=Terminator2020][quote=Nyloth]I

I do not know why you quoted me, but what you write about does not help at all. The cleric's spells are fine, but when it runs out it's mostly useless. Any other class with the same set and no spells will deal more damage than a cleric. We are talking about the phase when the cleric runs out of spell slots. I don't like those spells that I have left / used without slots. They are mostly useless.

I expect that as a SUPPORT bard will be more useful. If so, it's easier for me to change the class.
Fine short version. Dump the INT stat let it be 8. What on earth is INT used for anyway you will not get more skill points like in Older DD version with high INT.
Have 16 on STR if melee Cleric or 16 on DEX if Archer Cleric. Add +1 Magical weapon to it. If Ranged do use something better then +1 Shortbow. +1 Longbow or +1 Light Crossbow if you are proficient with them.
Your weapons should give 1d8+4 damage /shot if ranged or 1d8+4 damage /melee hit if melee.
Get +1 Magical weapon before level 4 it is very doable. What you want to buy can not afford? Well do example the Crypt area if for nothing else then loot and let a Companion with good Charisma sell the items.

If you can not afford Magical armor and Magical weapon for your Cleric then do buy Magical Weapon that is more important.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 17/01/21 03:14 AM.
G
addict
addict
G
Toll the Dead tends to be a much better damage cantrip for clerics at low levels (more damage and WIS save instead of DEX save, which tends to land more against low-level enemies), but it's from Xanathar's, so I expect we won't see it.

Other than that, the cleric cantrip list isn't spectacular for combat, which means clerics may need to be a little more conservative with their spell slots, especially at low levels.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by grysqrl
Toll the Dead tends to be a much better damage cantrip for clerics at low levels (more damage and WIS save instead of DEX save, which tends to land more against low-level enemies), but it's from Xanathar's, so I expect we won't see it.

Other than that, the cleric cantrip list isn't spectacular for combat, which means clerics may need to be a little more conservative with their spell slots, especially at low levels.
You are correct why waste Clerics spells on some easy fight except perhaps once concentration spell? Do use spells in tough battles.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 16/01/21 06:27 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard