Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
On my 5th complete play through (on Steam, Mac) and as I'm gith, Shadowheart refused to accompany me. (I've been Tiefling, Human, Drow, and Half-High-Elf, in case that matters). Normally she's the first or second companion I pick up. And she has Many Things To Say.

Now that she's not here, I am suddenly getting all these new conversations with Gale and Astarion -- which is FANTASTIC and makes certain things they say later make a lot more sense.

Is there some way to make sure Shadowheart doesn't override everyone else's input?
I always go around to everyone in camp, and before I just got the generic stay/leave party options in places where now I get actual conversations. Example: Astarion has been a member of my party for everything for every play through, but only just now have I received the conversation about beheading vs poison or stabbing.

Could be just me? But thought I'd mention it.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Interesting! I've had her in every game and can't remember Astorion talking about beheading once and I have also been careful to talk to everyone constantly.

I've been using Lae'zel rather than Shadowheart for my first two runs - today I started up a new one and plan on having Shadowheart instead this time. But man, it's true that she speaks the most during encounters. I even recruited her 3rd, but I am noticing a difference.

The way companion dialogue is triggered is hard for me to follow - especially when I want to hear more from certain characters.

Last edited by AvatarOfSHODAN; 12/01/21 05:21 AM.
veteran
veteran
I'm not fond of the current design style that demands that only one party member gets to respond to something, to the exclusion of everyone else. Some will say it's for replayability, but enforced gating like that that arbitrarily makes you miss things, for no reason, is not good game design... it's just frustrating, and demands that you play 80% of the same content over and over just to see that 'different' little bit. Companions dialogues and scenes shouldn't be lost forever based on whoever gets their words in first - they should queue up in some fashion and each get a chance to play once you've fulfilled the requirements.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by CoffeeMinx
Example: Astarion has been a member of my party for everything for every play through, but only just now have I received the conversation about beheading vs poison or stabbing.

Could be just me? But thought I'd mention it.

Missing Astarion talking about beheading is not due to SH's presence, but to the fact that if you don't long rest at least twice before you talk to Nettie, the scene will be overridden by something else. At least that's how it has been for me in most of my runs. I hope Larian will fix this because camp scenes shouldn't be so easy to miss.
Or you could have simply spoken to Astarion last... the last companion you talk to will often leave out part of what they would have said if you had spoken to them first. But I really can't remember if that's the case for this convo as well.

Aside from that, yes, SH usually overruns everyone else, which is maddening for me. I only recently had the second dream without SH and got to see a cutscene I'd never seen before...

Originally Posted by Niara
I'm not fond of the current design style that demands that only one party member gets to respond to something, to the exclusion of everyone else.

I'm still not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I hate missing out on companion content, but on the other hand, it's nice to see new stuff in another playthrough and I know I'm going to play this again and again and again. What I really cannot stand is the fact that one companion always takes precedence on everyone else. If they really want to keep it like that and only allow me to listen to one companion reaction per event, they could at least let me choose whose comment I want to hear.

Last edited by Kajsentlyha; 12/01/21 07:50 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I fully agree with you on allowing us to choose whose comment we want to hear instead of it being the lead character at the time

Link Copied to Clipboard