Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Labayu Offline OP
OP Offline
L
What I mean is this forum needs some sort of a way to give a post a thumbsup, especially in the suggestions subforums. It would be really useful for other forum members to indicate that they agree with a suggestion or like a post without having to respond +1 or post to say they agree if they have nothing else to add.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Let's keep that sort of thing confined to the kiddies on Facebook, eh?...;) If you like a post--say so. How difficult is it to reply to a post and say, "I like your post"? If you disagree with a post, say so. Don't let the cat steal your tongue.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
L
Labayu Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm not suggesting it so that posters can feel validated, I'm suggesting it so that it can be seen how popular a request is. It would be useful to Larian, assuming they read requests and suggestions. Otherwise, it's hard to tell what is a highly desired feature versus what is a feature desired by only handful of the most prolific posters. It's a pretty common feature on forums like this. I can quote and write "+1" or "I agree", but I usually don't bother and I doubt others do much either. Seems weird when I have nothing further to say, plus it doesn't actually gather the information in one easy to see place, you'd have to read the whole thread and count how many people are liking the idea, which I doubt Larian has someone doing.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm planning on giving the feature a trial run at some point "real soon now".

J'aime le fromage.
L
Labayu Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by vometia
I'm planning on giving the feature a trial run at some point "real soon now".
Ah good, this is one of those posts I'd want to use it on.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Labayu
Ah good, this is one of those posts I'd want to use it on.

Please don't, my grammar is terrible.

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
And it's as well we don't have a dislike feature because I should've checked more thoroughly before replying: the feature I was thinking of is actually topic ratings: clue's in the name, which is isn't even similar to what was requested. So that's a bit of a non-starter, unfortunately.

But I agree that post likes is a feature that would be useful so I shall endeavour to find some means of implementing it, even if it means waiting a little longer than "real soon now". Assuming it isn't buried elsewhere in the site configuration, I will need to make a feature request of some sort. I am preparing myself to nag the relevant people.

J'aime le fromage.
A
veteran
veteran
A
What I mean is this forum needs some sort of a way to give a post a thumbsup, especially in the suggestions subforums.

In my opinion, that's only a fashion.

Writing a few words does the same, essentially.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

Probably creates more of an impression and tends to encourage discussion, too; nobody really goes back to look at a thumbs-up count and it's much more of a social media thing (and IMHO more about "engagement" i.e. cynically encouraging telemetry for ads and stuff than it is about actual interaction).

But not the thing with quoting someone else's post in its entirety just to add +1 at the end, which is annoying, not least when the majority of posts are various people doing the same. Fortunately it's a bit passé now. And also not making the same point over and over in multiple topics, which also undermines whatever point is being made: it's very easy for it to simply be perceived as "this again?!" and to switch off.

J'aime le fromage.
What I mean is this forum needs some sort of a way to give a post a thumbsup, especially in the suggestions subforums. It would be really useful for other forum members to indicate that they agree with a suggestion or like a post without having to respond +1 or post to say they agree if they have nothing else to add.

I agree.
A lot of people probably don't say "+1" or write that they agree, since they don't want to add to the topic if they have nothing to say.
I often feel like only saying "I agree" is odd, so I usually try to add to it, but there have been times where I just couldn't find anything to add.
If posts aren't getting replies saying they agree, it might make it seem like people don't agree with those posts.

Originally Posted by Waltc
Let's keep that sort of thing confined to the kiddies on Facebook, eh?...;) If you like a post--say so. How difficult is it to reply to a post and say, "I like your post"? If you disagree with a post, say so. Don't let the cat steal your tongue.
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

It's a lot easier to see how much a post has been agreed with if there's a feature for agreeing with a post, and it makes topics easier to read through since they're less cluttered with "+1"s, which makes additions, disagreements (people usually give a reason for their disagreement rather than just saying "I disagree") and discussions more visible.
As much as people might dislike Facebook and similar sites, with good reason sometimes, I don't think the "like" aspect is one of the good reasons to dislike them.

The only benefit that I can see from having to agree with a post by writing a reply is that it bumps a topic.

And it's as well we don't have a dislike feature because I should've checked more thoroughly before replying: the feature I was thinking of is actually topic ratings: clue's in the name, which is isn't even similar to what was requested. So that's a bit of a non-starter, unfortunately.

But I agree that post likes is a feature that would be useful so I shall endeavour to find some means of implementing it, even if it means waiting a little longer than "real soon now". Assuming it isn't buried elsewhere in the site configuration, I will need to make a feature request of some sort. I am preparing myself to nag the relevant people.

Yeah, a dislike feature probably isn't needed.
It might make some people not read the posts or feel like they should dislike them too, and that's not good.
A post not getting support is usually a good enough indicator that it's not being agreed with or doesn't say anything that needs to be agreed with.
Not only that, but I think that people often feel compelled to write the reasons that they disagree with a post if there's no dislike option.

But not the thing with quoting someone else's post in its entirety just to add +1 at the end, which is annoying, not least when the majority of posts are various people doing the same. Fortunately it's a bit passé now. And also not making the same point over and over in multiple topics, which also undermines whatever point is being made: it's very easy for it to simply be perceived as "this again?!" and to switch off.

+1

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 03/11/21 03:50 PM.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
We Forum Trolls are literally useless to them. YouTubers should be getting a thumb-ups. Cyberpunk did put some YouTubers in their game, btw.

You can Forum Troll all your live, but you get nothing, trust me, if you want their attention do some youtubing. There has been some success stories. I know some Forum Trolls became popular Youtubers.

UpVote doesnt work. I could ask bigger boobs for all female characters and ask my friends to upvote it. Would you be happy? Im quite certain some companies did it back in the 90s, or memory just doesnt work, but Im sure someone did it, or wait it was the "pump".

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 01/01/22 12:32 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
+1

and search

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
This is a thread from a long while back, so I'd suggest that if anyone wants any changes to the forums (apart from the obvious total upgrade!) they start a new thread. I'm going to lock this old chat.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard