Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
I think level 15 should be better than level 10. Of course, level 1 to 20 would be much better, but I might settle for level 15 cap

Last edited by EstherEloise; 13/01/21 07:28 PM.
They have said 10 is no longer the level cap in some interview but haven't said exactly what will be, I expect 11 or 12 but time will tell.

Banned
Banned
Seems strange they'll cap so low, unless the game will be shorter than expected or they nerf xp gains. Feels like without the cap at 4 in the EA we could already reach 5 or 6 during or after the Underdark.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Seems strange they'll cap so low, unless the game will be shorter than expected or they nerf xp gains. Feels like without the cap at 4 in the EA we could already reach 5 or 6 during or after the Underdark.

I couldn't agree with you more and that is why I'm surprised they have it capped at 4 right now. In my current playthrough, I've already hit the cap and I've not done any of the Underdark or the goblin camp.

Hoping in the next update that they not only fix more of the bugs but give us some new game play and raise the cap from 4 to maybe 7

B
stranger
stranger
B
I agree that too low of a level cap is very concerning.

A favorite aspect (if not THE favorite) of RPGs for me is the process of advancing my character. A level up is my reward for solving the puzzles of combat, finishing quests, etc. Customizing the path of advancement my character takes is how they become "mine" and a major factor in what draws me into the game.

I experience a substantial drop in my interest in the game once I find out my character is no longer advancing. For example, as soon as I found out that I was at max experience in the early access I stopped playing. I still had tons left to do but I didn't want to do it if there was no possible increase in my character level.

All this is to say, that I'd strongly urge the studio to ensure that character progress can be made continuously throughout the game.

Also... can we maybe get the level 4 cap in the EA removed soon, please? Surely it will help you balance some to let level 5 or 6 characters wrap up Act 1?

S
S
Post release DLC is still the plan right? They need to save some space to grow into. Even 3 levels and 2 DLCs takes us to 18 if MQ caps at 12.

old hand
old hand
That seems like way too low of a level cap. I know they said before they don't vision this as a 1-20 campaign but I would really rather they do have it as 1-20 as that gives a lot of flexibility in building characters and allows for there to be rewarding content.

stranger
stranger
I would be really very happy if any computer RPG would implement level 30 cap and possible end with deification just like it's in pen and paper, not necessarily in the main campaign of course, but as default mechanics that doesn't need modding because community of modders will always do this wrong.

Last edited by 1ul4; 15/01/21 11:50 AM.

~ ssh nethack@ascension.run
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin
They have said 10 is no longer the level cap in some interview but haven't said exactly what will be, I expect 11 or 12 but time will tell.
Yup.
We just know as a matter of fact that it's not level 10 anymore (and it has been repeated a million times already, which makes weird that a large part of this community still didn't get the memo), but beside that it could be anything from 11 to 20.

I'd be incline to bet on 13-14, but it's hard to tell.

Last edited by Tuco; 15/01/21 11:56 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
First act 1-5, second act 5-10, third act 9-14-ish? Could make sense.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
Online Content
veteran
People should also keep in mind that level ups in D&D become almost exponentially slower the higher you go.
It takes almost nothing to get from level 1 to level 2, but it could easily take 10 hours or so to get from level 13 to 14.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Tuco
People should also keep in mind that level ups in D&D become almost exponentially slower the higher you go.
It takes almost nothing to get from level 1 to level 2, but it could easily take 10 hours or so to get from level 13 to 14.

Yep, it's strange to see complaints that leveling is too fast. You can already start seeing the leveling curve happen between 3 and 4 compared to the first 3 levels.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin
Yup.
We just know as a matter of fact that it's not level 10 anymore (and it has been repeated a million times already, which makes weird that a large part of this community still didn't get the memo), but beside that it could be anything from 11 to 20.

I'd be incline to bet on 13-14, but it's hard to tell.
Really? This is the first time ever I hear anything that level cap could be higher then level 10 for the full release.

I am not fan of high level characters. I liked BG1 when level cap was level 7.

If level cap is not 10 then please not higher level then 12 level cap.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 15/01/21 07:46 PM.
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Really? This is the first time ever I hear anything that level cap could be higher then level 10 for the full release.
They probably confirmed it before the EA even began, or at very least around that time.
The claim was that they revisited the initial plans to cap at 10 because they realized they were preparing a lot more content than originally anticipated.

I am not fan of high level characters. I liked BG1 when level cap was level 7.
Well, I didn't.
Or to be more specific, I love to start from the low levels just because I find the initial "everything is dangerous and you are weak" thrilling, but at the same time it's from level 5 going up that I start to genuinely enjoy the mechanics and the variety classes offer, especially in combat.

If level cap is not 10 then please not higher level then 12 level cap.
it's not up to us to decide, since it will probably be tied to the amount of stuff in the game first and foremost, but aside for that, I'd be absolutely satisfied with a cap at 14. The range between 5 and 14 is precisely where most people think D&D shines.
Before that it's too scarce with tactical options etc, while above that range pretty much any class starts to become hilariously game-breaking in terms of power creep.

veteran
veteran
I'd love all the way up to 20 plus a sophisticated 20+ system for boons.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Well, that's not going to happen no matter what, so a bit pointless to fantasize about it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Well, that's not going to happen no matter what, so a bit pointless to fantasize about it.

Level 20 is already possible with mods, so even if it won't happen officially it may always happen unofficially. It's the second part that really bugs me not existing.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Mods are always going to be half-assed implementations for this kind of stuff, but if you're happy with it good for you.

addict
addict
Getting the feeling that Larian is going to start adopting shady DLC practices and they'll be saving level cap increases for paid expansions, ultimately ending at level 20 after 2 or 3 of those cash grabs.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Getting the feeling that Larian is going to start adopting shady DLC practices and they'll be saving level cap increases for paid expansions, ultimately ending at level 20 after 2 or 3 of those cash grabs.

DLCs are not cash grabs, though, and I wouldn't mind that.

Last edited by EstherEloise; 18/01/21 05:46 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard