Print Thread
#751998 17/01/21 09:28 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Gloves of Power

This is an Uncommon set of Gloves, not sure where i found it, though i imagine the location can be random. My issue is with the description versus the effect.

Description: (Absolute's Bane) - Creatures hit by an attack may receive a d4 penalty to attack rolls and saving throws.

This is the "Bane" debuff. The problem is, that it doesn't apply it to creatures that are hit, it applies it to the wearer, making the gloves utterly useless as they have no AC or other stats of their own. The only thing they serve to do is punish the wearer.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe this is functioning as intended.

Thanks,

- Cecil Harvey

veteran
veteran
They are fixed drop from a very specific place, not random, and the effect is indeed working as intended. If you read the description on the gloves, they tell you that they will punish anyone attempting to use their power who is not a servant of the Absolute. If you become a marked servant of the absolute, they will bane targets you attack, but use them without that mark, and they bane you.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Niara
They are fixed drop from a very specific place, not random, and the effect is indeed working as intended. If you read the description on the gloves, they tell you that they will punish anyone attempting to use their power who is not a servant of the Absolute. If you become a marked servant of the absolute, they will bane targets you attack, but use them without that mark, and they bane you.

Ah, nice. I guess i just assumed because everyone is running around calling me True Soul, that i was a servant, but they've mentioned the mark before, and i don't have it, so that makes sense, thanks smile

veteran
veteran
No worries, there are a few more items like that as well; a shield and a pendant, at least. ^.^

S
stranger
stranger
S
Those gloves do Bane your target, but they’ll Bane you too unless you belong to the Absolute.

A
stranger
stranger
A
That is all correct, however please note there is a bug on these even after getting branded, that if you heal a party member, it will actually Bane them as well (mistakenly treating the heal spell as an "attack" spell instead).

(Please fix bug)

Last edited by Abraxas Quantum; 19/01/21 06:31 PM.
G
addict
addict
G
Also, if you have a ranger with the feature that lets you attack a second target next to your first target, everyone within range of your first target gets hit with bane.

journeyman
journeyman
You didn't ask where/how to get the mark of the Absolute, so don't read the next part if you don't want it spoiled...

If you want to get the mark, you need to talk to Priestess Gut in the Goblin Camp.

And the gloves aren't the only item you need the mark to use. There is also a shield dropped by Gut that you need the mark for.

I don't know yet if there are any serious drawbacks to getting the mark. We probably won't find that out until EA is done and the full game is released.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abraxas Quantum
That is all correct, however please note there is a bug on these even after getting branded, that if you heal a party member, it will actually Bane them as well (mistakenly treating the heal spell as an "attack" spell instead).

(Please fix bug)

This is actually a deep-running bug that shows itself all throughout the game in all sorts of situations. Currently, the game treats Everything as 'an attack', including buffing - which in turn includes things like hiding, because using hide gives you a 'buff' (hidden) according to the game. You can witness this with the Corellon's Grace staff as well; practically anything you do that affects your own character (such as hiding or getting healed), counts as you being hit with an attack, which procs the staff to cast resistance on you - which in turn breaks your concentration automatically if you're concentrating on something else (because it's treated in the code as you casting resistance on yourself).

Everything counting as attacks absolutely needs addressed, but it's a big, deep thing that affects large swathes of the game.

Link Copied to Clipboard